Sharing resources of LOGos 4 with Kindle

Page 5 of 8 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 148 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 9:30 AM

That's good to know....I appreciate the info!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:45 PM

Joan Korte:
I pay a small fee for every file I convert and email to my Kindle.

You should have two email addresses for your kindle, one @kindle.com, one @free.kindle.com. The first one will send it via 3G immediately if you not connected to wi-fi, and charge you. The other will wait until you are in wi-fi range and send it free.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:47 PM

Jonathan Pitts:

Joan Korte:
I pay a small fee for every file I convert and email to my Kindle.

You should have two email addresses for your kindle, one @kindle.com, one @free.kindle.com. The first one will send it via 3G immediately if you not connected to wi-fi, and charge you. The other will wait until you are in wi-fi range and send it free.

Except Joan won't have wifi on her Kindle 2, I don't think.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:56 PM

"Kindle's Personal Document Service (via Whispernet) allows you to e-mail approved files to your Kindle's e-mail address. Then, Amazon can transfer the file(s) wirelessly in a Kindle-compatible format to the device(s) for a fee. To avoid a fee, or if you're not in wireless range, you can send an e-mail to "name"@free.kindle.com and download the files via USB in a Kindle compatible format to the device(s)."

I'm quoting from Amazon Kindle's Transferring, Downloading, and Sending Files to Kindle page.  So, that's why I use the usb connection-to avoid a fee.  If I have it delivered to my Kindle via Whispernet, then I pay.  I know the fee is miniscule, but, I still prefer to manage it myself.  Thanks, gentleman, for your comments.

Posts 688
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:05 PM

I think the Kindle 3 is the first with WiFi. It's the only one I've had, but I think that is right.

I am loving the Kindle far more than I could have ever imagined. To read my monograph-type books on the Kindle would be the perfect situation. I have it figured out, but it is pretty clunky.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 9
Matthew Helfrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:36 AM

Ok, so you have all figured out how to read Logos books on your Kindles. Now, can anyone tell me how to read Kindle titles on my logos? Amazon has made kindle available in so many formats that it seems that they want people to buy and read books wherever they can get it, can this be integrated into Logos just like other links within Logos research tools?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:53 AM

Matthew Helfrich:

Ok, so you have all figured out how to read Logos books on your Kindles. Now, can anyone tell me how to read Kindle titles on my logos? Amazon has made kindle available in so many formats that it seems that they want people to buy and read books wherever they can get it, can this be integrated into Logos just like other links within Logos research tools?

Looking forward to Personal Book Builder (PBB), currently a missing feature planned for Logos 4.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9
Matthew Helfrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:08 AM

I hope it come out soon!

Posts 17
Stephen Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 2:24 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Personally, I'd like us to have an "Export to Kindle" feature built right in.

Amen to that. The Export to Print is a good workaround for now, but a direct export to Kindle would be wonderful.

Getting a Kindle has opened up a new and enjoyable way to read books I've already purchased in Logos. It is also provides good incentive to buy more books in Logos.

Keep up the great work. And the more you can improve Kindle compatibility, the better.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 11:29 AM

Bob,

The "purchase once, use anywhere" license is one reason why I spent over $5000 last year buying books from Logos.

Bill

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 12:31 PM

If LOGOS were to choose one e-reader to support, my preference would be Kindle.  On the other hand, I think choosing a single e-reader to support is the wrong choice.  I suspect there are some here who use the Barnes and Nobles' Nook, others use Border's KOBO - and there may be others as well.  Right now I use a tablet PC to read all three (plus a couple of others) formats.  I think that LOGOS would be wiser to choose a format to export that can be used with multiple e-reader formats.  

Given the clambering that I hear for development of an Android LOGOS product, I think that is what LOGOS should have done for their smart phone product as well.  They chose iOS, that satisfied some.  But if they had chosen a format that worked well across multiple platforms, up front, they would not have to start over with the Android product and/or a Blackberry product and/or a Windows Phone product.  

And as the cloud comes into play, this option becomes more and more viable.  Developing for the cloud can truly lead to a "buy once, use anywhere" product. 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 1:42 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Right now I use a tablet PC to read all three (plus a couple of others) formats.

Personally use an iPad for Logos, Kindle, and Nook (and few more readers).  Holman Bible Atlas pictures and maps look great in color using Logos iOS application.

For Amazon Kindle, anticipating change to browser only reading on Android and iOS devices (buy once on Amazon's web site, then read anywhere with network connectivity - not know about future of offline reading).  Both Apple and Google now enforcing in-app purchasing with 30 % of revenue going to Apple and Google (wonder if Google plans to share any in-app content purchase revenue with device manufacturer's).

With Logos display engine, mobile applications have potential to offer more - visual highlighting with personal notes (not yet available).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 2:44 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Floyd Johnson:
Right now I use a tablet PC to read all three (plus a couple of others) formats.

Personally use an iPad for Logos, Kindle, and Nook (and few more readers).  Holman Bible Atlas pictures and maps look great in color using Logos iOS application.

For Amazon Kindle, anticipating change to browser only reading on Android and iOS devices (buy once on Amazon's web site, then read anywhere with network connectivity - not know about future of offline reading).  Both Apple and Google now enforcing in-app purchasing with 30 % of revenue going to Apple and Google (wonder if Google plans to share any in-app content purchase revenue with device manufacturer's).

With Logos display engine, mobile applications have potential to offer more - visual highlighting with personal notes (not yet available).

Keep Smiling Smile

Still a better deal for publishers than they ever received from Amazon on the Kindle. The Big question is will amazon comply and if so how will it be possible considering apple's in app store limitations of 3000 items max. 

-Dan

Posts 688
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 6:14 AM

Stephen Jones:

Bob Pritchett:
Personally, I'd like us to have an "Export to Kindle" feature built right in.

Amen to that. The Export to Print is a good workaround for now, but a direct export to Kindle would be wonderful.

Getting a Kindle has opened up a new and enjoyable way to read books I've already purchased in Logos. It is also provides good incentive to buy more books in Logos.

Keep up the great work. And the more you can improve Kindle compatibility, the better.

"Export to print" works, but I would not say it's a good workaround. You have to do it 100 pages at a time and merge those together somehow. I did it on one book, but I am going to have to REALLY want to read a title to do it again.

It would be great to have the 100 page limit taken away, and it would be better still to have the hypothetical "export to Kindle" feature.

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 4:24 PM

+1 for the "export to Kindle" feature.  That'd make Logos books more readable.

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 12:37 PM

I'm running the latest beta. Anyone else having a problem whereby they can only export up to 3 pages?

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2011 12:46 PM

Daniel Arnott:

I'm running the latest beta. Anyone else having a problem whereby they can only export up to 3 pages?

Yelp. Melissa said in another thread that it will be fixed in the next Beta.

<edit>http://community.logos.com/forums/t/31948.aspx

Posts 9
Matthew Helfrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:55 AM

I have been holding off on getting a Kindle simply because I cannot export directly to it from Logos. However, I have also read that it has a pdf reader...could you not copy them into a single word document and save as a pdf? It may not be as handy as a kindle formatted book, but it could allow more than 100 pages. any thoughts or experiences trying this?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:06 AM

Matthew,

that is a perfectly fine way to go about it....it doesn't hurt anything....

I believe that the advantage would be that all the unique fonts that we use in Logos would display properly, which sometimes doesn't happen when creating an Ebook from a Logos export.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 20 2011 11:13 AM

The PDF reader on the Kindle isn't great. The issue is seeing the whole page with a readable font size. I think the key would be to use the right page size.

Page 5 of 8 (149 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS