Organizing Library

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 2:24 PM

Just curious... If Logos doesn't have the item, how did you get it in your library.  I have an old CD of the Expositors Bible Commentary from Zondervan and would LOVE to get it into my Logos collection somehow.

Theological Reflection with Practical Application

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 2:48 PM

bryan jay:

Just curious... If Logos doesn't have the item, how did you get it in your library.  I have an old CD of the Expositors Bible Commentary from Zondervan and would LOVE to get it into my Logos collection somehow.

If it was ever compatible with Logos (even if sold by a 3rd party), and you still have it, you can access it in Logos4.

If your resource from Zondervan is not a Logos resource, then you don't have a license to view it in any version of Logos.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 2:53 PM

Chuck:

I've used collections very little.  I'll read up on how to do collections and try this approach. It seems that collections required a lot of conditional statements that did not come naturally to me.   My grief comes from knowing that I have a lot of books and not being able to place my hands on them when needed since my library is not very organized.

Thanks

Collections don't necessarily require a lot of conditional statements.  In fact, if you want you can simply open your library and drag them one by one into the "Plus these resources" area (though that tends to be the hard way).  You can enter a short "rule" to cut down the clutter and then drag the ones you don't want into the "Minus these resources" area.  Also, there are some simple "conditions" which you can set up.  I have one collection of Barth's works for which I typed in the "rule" of "Church Dogmatics" and dragged everything which wasn't in the collection into the "Minus" area.  Having collections makes searching easier.  I understand that L4 searches fastest if you simply let it search the entire library, but I don't necessarily want the fastest.  Sometimes I simply don't want to be required to search through the search results to find what I want so collections narrows it down to the area of interest so that I don't need to look through the hits for lots of works I'm not interested in.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 6:38 PM

If this CD was based off the Pradis Engine you're out of luck. You'll have to purchase it in Logos format. Back when Zondervan announced their partnership with Logos there was a brief window up "upgrade pricing" but that's long since expired.

Posts 28
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 5:13 AM

I just tried creating collections but I can't find how to save them. They simply don't show up the next time I go in. I am new to Logos and finding that the lack of user friendliness is the number one issue. I know someone who switched to another program for this very reason. Seriously, I can't even simply just list the books I have bought - I have to wade through the title of every single chapter. Do I really need to take up time watching videos just to use a program?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 5:20 AM

Dean, after creating a title for the collection you are working on, Logos will automatically save it for you.  The only way to delete a collection is to never name it.  (Logos used to save a new collection every time you opened the collection feature, naming it 'unnamed collection' if you didn't assign it a name, but you could see how that could result in multiple empty collections by the same name Wink)

Posts 28
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 5:32 AM

Thanks Paul, you're right, found them. Sigh, I'll get the hang of this eventually!

Posts 28714
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 5:42 AM

Paul, 

Logos still saves collections without naming them:

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28714
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 5:47 AM

Dean Furlong:
I can't even simply just list the books I have bought - I have to wade through the title of every single chapter.

Dean - 

Sorry you are having troubles. Learning new software, especially one as powerful as Logos, can be a challenge for sure. I think that you will find that Logos does have the ability to "simply just list the books" you have purchased... It is called the Library, and it is a powerful feature. Here, you can do many things, including prioritizing your resources. That way, your favorite commentaries and bibles will show up before others during searches.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 6:13 AM

alabama24:

Dean Furlong:
I can't even simply just list the books I have bought - I have to wade through the title of every single chapter.

Dean - 

Sorry you are having troubles. Learning new software, especially one as powerful as Logos, can be a challenge for sure. I think that you will find that Logos does have the ability to "simply just list the books" you have purchased... It is called the Library, and it is a powerful feature. Here, you can do many things, including prioritizing your resources. That way, your favorite commentaries and bibles will show up before others during searches.

The library also has a Last Updated column that if you click on the column header it will sort your library by when new/updated works were added so you can double check that you got everything you ordered. Obviously if you just bought a base package this info won't help as everything will have been established at the same time but this can help as you add books in the future.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 9:53 AM

alabama24:

Paul, 

Logos still saves collections without naming them:

good catch, I guess I meant to say Logos used to create an unnamed collection simply by opening the collection feature without adding any books or search definitions.  I assume the unnamed collections you made actually had resources in them.

Posts 28
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 17 2011 6:49 PM

I tried that, but like you I have the Earliest NT book and it frustratingly lists every MS separately rather than just listing the book. I tried the prioritize but it didn't seem to save - I will give it another shot. Yes, I'll be patient with it and start using the video tutorials - just a little frustrating to begin with, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS