Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database

Page 3 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 93 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 3:38 AM

J Hale:

Just to clarify, is the Dead Sea Scrolls Database, a book, that can be read alone, or is it like an app., where you need a separate Dead Sea Scrolls book to read the database? If you need another DSS book, which one(s) do you need to be able to read it?

It looks like any other Logos resource, but there's any underlying morphological database behind it (just like the Hebrew Bibles).

The Dead Sea Scrolls and manuscripts (and fragments of manuscripts) that are written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. The database tagging will give definitions of individual words into English, but in no way should you consider these manuscripts to have been translated into English. If you need English translations various other Logos resources will give you that, but the list of scrolls in those resources might not match exactly the ones in this resource.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:16 PM

ton verdam:

if they are not with english interliniar what do they mean with english glosses?

From Mark Barnes post it sounds as though the glosses are going to be pop-ups.

The sun will come out tomorrow ...

Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be DSS 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:06 PM

Well, looks like it will be at least one more day Sad

While I wait patiently, I am very much enjoying Craig A. Evans, The Deas Sea Scrolls. This is part of the Homan Quick Source Guide series. I haven't seen a more concise, simple, well written and helpful explanation of common questions surrounding the scrolls. This book really is an excellent "step 1" in understanding what the DSS scrolls are and why they are important. And it is very affordable. I got it for about $9 on sale, but even the retail price is only $15.

Thought this info might be helpful. Hopefully we can start exploring the biblical DSS with Logos before the weekend.

UPDATE: Here is a link to a photo of cave 4 I took last summer. I use it as a desktop background, because I'm a nerd like that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15897409/100_1894.JPG

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:17 PM

Brian Davidson:

Well, looks like it will be at least one more day Sad

While I wait patiently, I am very much enjoying Craig A. Evans, The Deas Sea Scrolls. This is part of the Homan Quick Source Guide series. I haven't seen a more concise, simple, well written and helpful explanation of common questions surrounding the scrolls. This book really is an excellent "step 1" in understanding what the DSS scrolls are and why they are important. And it is very affordable. I got it for about $9 on sale, but even the retail price is only $15.

Thought this info might be helpful. Hopefully we can start exploring the biblical DSS with Logos before the weekend.

It ain't over yet.  Maybe we'll still get it today.  I don't see any change in date on the orders page.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:19 PM

Brian Davidson:
Hopefully we can start exploring the biblical DSS with Logos before the weekend.

Looking in my Logos library for scroll found: The Dead Sea Scrolls and Modern Translations of the Old Testament logosres:dss;art=chapter4

Resource included with Original Languages and higher base packages.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:25 PM

The most helpful thing about Scanlin's book (mentioned above) is that he provides an index of biblical passages found in the DSS. 

See here: logosres:dss;art=chapter9

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:37 PM

We found some last-minute issues during final testing this afternoon. We're working on getting this fixed, but we need to push the ship date back to tomorrow. We apologize for the delay.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:39 PM

Kent, I am OUTRAGED!!!!

Kidding, kidding. The world waited roughly 2,000 years for these materials to be widely available, so I think we can wait another 24 hours.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 5:57 PM

Kent Hendricks:

We found some last-minute issues during final testing this afternoon. We're working on getting this fixed, but we need to push the ship date back to tomorrow. We apologize for the delay.

Crying

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 2:15 PM

Confused  Tongue Tied  Sad

Where's the beef?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 11181
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 2:32 PM

They only serve beef on Mondays .... getting those little fragments stuffed into the database must be a real chore.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 292
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 2:43 PM

Now ships 3/7 . . .

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2011 2:57 PM

BradN:

Now ships 3/7 . . .

I propose they put off the Harvard Classics for a bit and ship the DSS.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 847
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 6 2011 4:00 PM

BradN:

Now ships 3/7 . . .

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. Big Smile

(Which will hopefully be tomorrow.)

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 847
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 12:30 PM

http://www.logos.com/product/5961/qumran-biblical-dead-sea-scrolls-database

Still showing 3/7/11.... Yes

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 11181
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 1:50 PM

Qumran Biblical is no longer in development. $179!  So today, put $100 in your pocket. At last!!!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:42 PM

Downloading

הַֽלְלוּלוֹגוֹס

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:48 PM

David Knoll:
Downloading

Me too! (or at least it's trying to download - failing currently!!)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:57 PM

David Knoll:

Downloading

הַֽלְלוּלוֹגוֹס

I have it in L3.  Still waiting for L4.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2398
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:02 PM

I just downloaded it.  It looks great.  But don't take much stock in my opinion.  Despite my passion for the Dead Sea Scrolls I cannot read Hebrew.

I went ahead and purchased it because I plan on learning Hebrew.

Page 3 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS