Page 1 of 4 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 11 2011 6:39 AM

It seems that Proclaim is heavily internet based for colaboratively building the service parts in.  

But what if we don't have internet in our church building?  (Country church etc.)

Will proclaim allow my team members to do all the packaging on their computers and then bring a thumbdrive to church as one package?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 21846
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 7:06 AM

Hi Thomas

My understanding (from Alpha testing) is that it will be possible to run a presentation in "cached" mode to cater for loss of Internet connection.

However, the process of preparing the presentation will be cloud-based and I am not aware of any current (not even sure about planned) mechanism to use thumbdrives to transfer them from one computer to another.

Graham

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 7:20 AM

And we've been told you cannot modify a program except when online.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 7:46 AM

Mark A. Smith:

That would make sense, the whole point is that everything is integrated...no "one point editing" allowed....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 8:19 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Thomas

My understanding (from Alpha testing) is that it will be possible to run a presentation in "cached" mode to cater for loss of Internet connection.

However, the process of preparing the presentation will be cloud-based and I am not aware of any current (not even sure about planned) mechanism to use thumbdrives to transfer them from one computer to another.

Graham

Mark A. Smith:

I have to say I’m a bit disappointed as I was hoping for a bit more latitude with non-cloud assessable environments (no internet or Limited internet). I was thinking you could package up a sermon/presentation and "alla-kazam" (lol), becasue the framework was the same you would have a highly function presentation without the usual hiccups.

Crying

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 9:03 AM

You can have the presentation off-line, but can't modify it that way. So if you get to where you are going to project and want to make a last minute change you can't do that without going online.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 9:07 AM

Not another Cloud based fiasco from Logos!!! Please, forget the cloud and develop for local installation.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 9:22 AM

Mark A. Smith:

You can have the presentation off-line, but can't modify it that way. So if you get to where you are going to project and want to make a last minute change you can't do that without going online.

Thanks Mark, That seals the option on this one for us.  We're not planning on bringing the internet to the church - completely impractical.  

I appreciate the answers everybody.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 26257
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:47 AM

Dennis Miller:

Not another Cloud based fiasco from Logos!!! Please, forget the cloud and develop for local installation.

I suspect the internet requirement is simply to avoid requiring a local server and network for use on multiple computers.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 11:15 AM

Here is Bob Pritchett's remarks on the Internet from the alpha test group postings:

"There will be an offline caching mode to ensure functionality in the event of a lost Internet connection. But the general design assumption is that Internet access will be available; this eliminates the need to use USB keys or CD's to put the data on the presentation computer, and it enables a whole world of new "remote control/remote prompter" functionality that we'll be including in future releases.

We know some churches have no Internet access, and Proclaim probably won't be the best tool for them."

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 3:46 PM

Bob Pritchett:

We know some churches have no Internet access, and Proclaim probably won't be the best tool for them."

Thats 95% of the UK, and over 80% of US/Canada market surrendered. Seems a VERY strange markrting decision..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 3:50 PM

DominicM:

Bob Pritchett:

Thats 95% of the UK, and over 80% of US/Canada market surrendered. Seems a VERY strange markrting decision..

That's not what I would have guessed.  Where do those stats come from?

I would bet that a good number of those without internet are also not projecting on screens.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 4:00 PM

the uk stats are from 2009, but would not have expected a huge rise in a year, the US iigures are  a guesstimate

True, but if we are looking at the future and converting those who are still using OHP/Acetates to projection, the need for a internet connection is likely to deter a lot of churches, why put in internet if you are only going to use it 2-6hrs per week..? 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 4:41 PM

DominicM:
US iigures are  a guesstimate

83% of all statistics are made up. (as is this one, and the last one) Smile

Posts 3661
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 5:23 PM

DominicM:

Bob Pritchett:

Here are some statistics I found:

Source:  http://hirr.hartsem.edu/research/fastfacts/fast_facts.html#sizecong

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 5:25 PM

DominicM:

True, but if we are looking at the future and converting those who are still using OHP/Acetates to projection, the need for a internet connection is likely to deter a lot of churches, why put in internet if you are only going to use it 2-6hrs per week..? 

My church uses hymnals in worship.  The internet is for office (and school) use.  I suspect many churches are the same.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 23
Tony (Manuel) Perez | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 5:27 PM

I agree with most here. Practicality is king in church "programs". Proclaim does not sound practical much less flexible.

Posts 32
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 11 2011 10:23 PM

I don't see a lack of internet connection as being a big deal. Even though we don't have an internet connection in our

I think it's a positive step by Logos, as it shows that they're looking forward to the future. It will only be a very few years until internet access will be ubiquitous and cheap. By designing a program around that assumption, they make themselves more future-proof, less platform dependent, and more flexible.

Posts 3658
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 8:49 AM

Thomas Black:

Mark A. Smith:

Thanks Mark, That seals the option on this one for us.  We're not planning on bringing the internet to the church - completely impractical.  

I appreciate the answers everybody.  

Hi Tom, all,

Don't forget that the program is still in alpha.

2nd point. I don't have internet at the church I pastor; they can't even afford my computer.... so I lug a laptop back & forth. I've tested the alpha off-line & believe that I CAN make changes to whatever I've been working on. It appears to just sync at the next availability of internet (when I go home).

Because it's in alpha, I wouldn't assume that there'll be no provision for off-line use. In fact, I'd assume they're waiting to find out who the real audience for this product will be, & they need to hear from you how you'd really use it.

I'm a 5-year user / trainer of a competing product whose name includes our sabbath day & a math symbol. We selected our product in 2 churches, now, for 2 main reasons: 1) how easy it is in "tiny church" to train someone when your usual AV person is absent for some reason; & 2) site license, so all who participate in development of the weekly projection slides can have a copy of the software.

Proclaim has the same site license philosophy (per a note from Bob P - he'll eventually weigh in here if he hasn't already), though the price scales upward for larger churches. Also Proclaim is just as intuitive as the product I use & has a lot going for it for small churches without internet, if Logos chooses to embrace them more fully in subsequent releases (via ability to save/store offline). If they had done so with this product & it were available 5 years ago, I'd likely already be a Proclaim user.

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3658
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 12 2011 8:55 AM

DominicM:

Bob Pritchett:

Yes

Floyd Johnson:

Here are some statistics I found:

Source:  http://hirr.hartsem.edu/research/fastfacts/fast_facts.html#sizecong

Thanks for the data & link... Most likely, over 2/3 of those churches won't put internet in the sanctuary on purpose (wireless may provide accidental pockets of connectivity, but few of those smaller churches will have $ and fewer will have enough technical folks to be able to make the case for it. Like you say... intended market?

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 4 (71 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS