When will L4M have Parallel Versions (in columns without comparison)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 13 2011 2:29 PM | Locked

I am not sure I am remembering the exact title of the feature in L3, but one the biggest features I am missing from L3 is having the same text displayed in different versions in columns, without any comparison, e.g. Neh 1 in ESV, BHS  (or ESV, BHS, LXX) in parallel columns.  I found this so helpful for OT sermons.

Ross

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 2:32 PM | Locked

So sorry.  I think I see it now in the settings with Text Comparison.  My bad.

Ross

Posts 97
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2011 1:52 PM | Locked

Call me crazy, but here's what I miss:

I wish I could have a verse-at-a-time view, with parallel versions stacked one on top of the other, with the text fully interactive. I used this in BWW all the time, and it is really nice for studying a text, especially for sermon work.

Text Comparison view looks similar, but it is practically useless in comparison for several reasons:

You can't navigate from verse to verse in that panel. (No locator bar).

You can't change the fonts, but are stuck with the system defaults.

And the biggest one: You can't interact with the text. No lookups. Nothing in the Info display. No lemas, morphology, etc. No copy and paste.

A compromise is to do your navigation in a different text window, and set the Comparisons panel to "Follow". However, you still cannot do lookups. So, if I am navigating in an English text, and have the LXX and BHS in Comparisons, I cannot select words in any of those versions, do lookups, etc.

If Comparisons was more robust, then I would no longer have to have multiple parallel linked panels open. This would also mean that Logos would run faster.

I love my Logos, but really miss this feature.

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2011 5:19 PM | Locked

Martin,

You're not crazy.  You've written what I was thinking as set up ESV and BHS columns: we can't interact with the text.  This point (your "biggest") would indeed greatly advance L4M actual usage for sermon prep.

Ross

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 10:27 AM | Locked

There is an open case to support operations on plain text in the Text Comparison tool. I don't know at this time what that will include or when it will be implemented.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS