Searching for multiple Hebrew Words

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 25 2011 1:28 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know how to do a search for multiple words in the Hebrew text? I am looking for the combination of the verb ראה and the preposition ל. So I typed: lemma:ל AND lemma:ראה But the result is zero.

I searched All Morph Text in All Passages in BHS/WIVU with Werkgroep Informatica (Wivu) Hebrew Morphology.

I probably did something wrong, but not sure what.

Thanks!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:12 AM

This is the search string you want lemma:לְ WITHIN 0 WORD lemma:ראה

The preposition needs a vowel. To make certain you get the right form type h:l and then a dropdown will appear the lemmas will be the ones with English glosses off to the side. The WITHIN 0 WORD makes certain that the preposition is attached to the word instead of another word.

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:53 AM

Ok, that worked. Thanks, Kevin.

Actually I was looking for the combination of the verb followed by this preposition. So I changed it to: lemma:ראה BEFORE 1 WORD lemma:לְ  And this gave me the result I wanted!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:58 AM

Glad it's working for you. If you haven't found the wiki yet, these pages help with understanding searching they are well worth your time.

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 1:51 PM

Hi Kevin, thanks, I found these pages. However, I was wondering if there is more info about these searches.

Today I searched for the phrase ἐφʼ ὅσον in the NT. I started with the Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament. When I right-clicked on this selection and clicked on 'search this resource' I got 8 results. It was called a 'basic' search.

Also, searching for (([field bible, content] ἐφ) AND ([field bible, content] ὅσον)) = the same as searching for  "ἐφ ̓ ὅσον". (I don't know how I created this search formula, but I got it somehow after some clicks - I didn't write it myself.

When I changed the LDGNT to UBS 4, it didn't work.

Then I created my own formula and that worked:<Lemma = lbs/el/ἐπί> BEFORE 1 WORD <Lemma = lbs/el/ὅσος>.

I created this by combining 2 lemma searches in the UBS4. A bit of a workaround way I think.

(BTW, I don't know where I can find what all these abbreviations mean (lbs = ?))

After this, I did the first search again, and it suddenly became a Bible search.

Looking to the differences I saw that "ἐφ ̓ ὅσον" works for LDGNT, but not for the UBS4. But this works: "ἐφʼ ὅσον". THe difference is the apostrophe. You can see the difference only in the search box. I have no idea which keystrokes makes this different apostrophe.

Any ideas how this works in L4? I am a bit confused. Hope my post is not that confusing... It is rather late when I write this. Let me know and I will rewrite it next week. Smile

Patrick

Posts 25813
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:43 PM

Patrick Rietveld:
(BTW, I don't know where I can find what all these abbreviations mean (lbs = ?))

There is a description at the end of this wiki article.

Patrick Rietveld:
Also, searching for (([field bible, content] ἐφ) AND ([field bible, content] ὅσον)) = the same as searching for  "ἐφ ̓ ὅσον". (I don't know how I created this search formula, but I got it somehow after some clicks - I didn't write it myself.

If you click from Morph Search to another Search it will perform this type of formatting.  AND is not the operator for a phrase search:-

• "ἐφʼ ὅσον"

is equivalent to

• ἐφʼ BEFORE 1 Word ὅσον

(ignore the doubled number of results).

I don't have the LDGNT but the search works in UBS4, NA27 and LGNTI.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:10 AM

Thanks Dave,

This helps me. 

I now just have to find out how to type a different apostrophe.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 4:05 AM

Logos' Greek Keyboard should have the appropriate character (accent/breathing mark)

http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/keyboards

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 5:41 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

Looking to the differences I saw that "ἐφ ̓ ὅσον" works for LDGNT, but not for the UBS4. But this works: "ἐφʼ ὅσον". THe difference is the apostrophe. You can see the difference only in the search box. I have no idea which keystrokes makes this different apostrophe.

Any ideas how this works in L4? I am a bit confused. Hope my post is not that confusing... It is rather late when I write this. Let me know and I will rewrite it next week.

Unfortunately, some Greek NTs do use different apostrophes. This has previously been reported to Logos and hopefully they will fix it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS