commentary on Hebrews pre pub by Hughes - is it NICNT?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 82
Howard Silverman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:10 PM

Could someone tell me if the e-mail about the NICNT pre pub on hebrews is NICNT. I have the NICNT Hebrews commentary by Bruce. The pic of the commentary is not from the NICNT series. is it an update from Bruce or something completely different.

thanks

howard silverman

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2011 10:27 PM

The Huges volume is the old NICNT one. It was replaced by the Bruce one, however Logos has recently been bringing these older "classic" volumes out in pre-pub. Some of the scholarship has been superseded, but there are reasons some people want the older ones. I don't know this volume at all, so I can't tell you what the draw might be. It gets 4-1/2 stars on Amazon.com and there are a couple of reader reviews there.

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2011 2:08 AM

Hughes is a good commentary. I sought out a paper-copy when I was preaching through Hebrews and found it useful. It doesn't feel particularly dated, either (it was originally written in 1977, so it's not that ancient).

Carson (NT commentary survey) says:

Until this latest string of commentaries appeared, the two best English works on Hebrews were doubtless those of F. F. Bruce (/NIC; rev. ed.; 1997, /$38.00) and Philip E. Hughes (Eerdmans 1987, op/$55.00). In some ways the two commentaries complement each other. Bruce provides a great deal of useful exegetical information and writes with caution, but this new revised edition is changed so little from his first edition (1964) that if you already have the first there is little point in purchasing the second. In any case, Lane is now to be preferred. The commentary by Hughes focuses less attention on lexical matters and contemporary secondary literature, but it is better than most modern commentaries at surveying the history of interpretation across the entire span of the church, not just the last few decades or centuries. It certainly wrestles with theological questions more thoroughly than does the work by Bruce.

Posts 2392
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2011 4:21 AM

I really wanted to get the older NICNT versions that have recently been available, but had to cancel them because of other prepubs (Qumran Biblical Database, Journal of Biblical Lit., Talmud and several others) that will be available in the next few months.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS