Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 10
Mark Carey | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2011 9:30 AM

http://www.pcworld.com/article/218363/apple_rejects_sony_reader_app_says_report.html

"Apple reportedly told Sony, among other app developers, that Apple would no longer allow downloadable content to be sold within an iOS app unless it used Apple's in-app payment system. Apple also reportedly said the developers could no longer sell content outside an app and then allow users to download it to an iOS device later."

Wondering how this impacts the logos app?  I'm almost ready to buy an iPad and having access on my iPhone and future iPad was a big reason for me to upgrade to logos 4.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 9:35 AM

It shouldn't impact it at all. You don't buy resources within the app. You purchase it online and it syncs the license with your desktop, iPad. Your ability to access resources within the app is based upon your Logos ID and password.

Posts 10
Mark Carey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 9:37 AM

Actually they are also blocking access to content sold outside of the device as well, see the second sentence of the quote.  I just noticed there is another thread on this already:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/29373.aspx

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 10:27 AM

This could really be bad!!!!!!!!!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 10:40 AM

These strongly worded titles are misleading. Read up on it, think about it, and see that there is no reason to overreact.

From techcrunch, here is the apple spokesperson's explanation:

“We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines. We are now requiring that if an app offers customers the ability to purchase books outside of the app, that the same option is also available to customers from within the app with in-app purchase.”

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/01/apple-nothing-has-changed-except-for-this-one-thing/

So if Apple does ever enforce the rule against Logos, all that would be required to do would be to add an in-app purchase option *in addition* to the web/email/phone purchase option. They could even make it much more expensive to purchase in-app to offset the cut that Apple takes, and drive everyone to use the current web/email/phone.

Take a deep breath. The sky is not falling.

Posts 1886
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 10:49 AM

Garrett Ho:

“We have not changed our developer terms or guidelines. We are now requiring ...”

From the Apple spokesperson's own words, they're at best ambiguous and at worst disingenuous. Like the propaganda from 1984, "War is peace."

In Apple's defense, it's their platform. They can do what they want. It sure would be great to get 25+% of iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad users to boycott the App Store for a month just to show Apple we're paying attention.

Donnie

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 10:52 AM

Garrett Ho:
So if Apple does ever enforce the rule against Logos, all that would be required to do would be to add an in-app purchase option *in addition* to the web/email/phone purchase option.

That's certainly not a trivial addition.  Also from that article, it seems that Apple will be demanding a cut of the in-app purchase fees. (30%?)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 11:17 AM

Learned Sony does in-app purchasing on Mac and PC using their Reader Library software => http://ebookstore.sony.com/howitworks/ which would be a violation of Apple's iOS guidance that all in-app purchasing use Apple iTunes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10
Mark Carey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 11:33 AM

Apple does need to tread carefully as this could very easily cause Government investigation the same as when they decided that all dev must be done with their approved programming languages.  They ultimately backed down after that investigation was opened.

Posts 852
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 12:37 PM

Garrett Ho:
Take a deep breath. The sky is not falling.

Garrett has it right. Nothing has changed in the developer guidelines. There is nothing new here. All Apple is saying is that if you want to do in app purchases you have to use the IAP API. Additionally, if you are going to send consumers to another place to do the purchasing (device web browser, for instance) that you also provide an in app purchase option as well. This is no threat to the mobile Logos experience.

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 2:38 PM

From Reuters:

"Apple requires apps that let customers buy books outside the app to offer the option to buy books through Apple's system, a spokeswoman said.  Apple's developer guidelines say that apps using a system other than in-app purchase to buy 'content, functionality, or services in an app will be rejected.' "

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/01/us-apple-media-idUSTRE7108RT20110201

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 4:29 PM

From Wired:

"Apple also allegedly told Sony that the app couldn’t access content purchased on other Sony Reader devices, which is where most of the outrage was focused. Amazon’s Kindle app and Barnes & Noble’s Nook app are both popular mechanisms for users to download and read books that they have purchased from the respective stores. Many feared that this supposed change in Apple policy would take their e-books away from their iPads, iPhones and iPod touches."

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/apple-cut-of-e-book-sales/

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Anonymous | | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 7:35 AM

I always figured Logos app would eventually be pulled because of the nature of the content (homosexuality is a sin, Islam is evil, or something like that since that also violates Apple's policy).  Whether it's the content's content or the fact it is purchased outside Apple, I think the Logos app's days are numbered.

Posts 5247
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 10:43 AM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

I always figured Logos app would eventually be pulled because of the nature of the content (homosexuality is a sin, Islam is evil, or something like that since that also violates Apple's policy).  Whether it's the content's content or the fact it is purchased outside Apple, I think the Logos app's days are numbered.

Apple sells many books through iBooks including ones that might be described as homophobic, Apple has rejected some apps that they have deemed hate promoting. But Apple is searching to broaden it's print media not restrict it. Sony was trying to sell it;s books in app, that is a no-no... amazon kindle, barns and noble all go externally to the web from the app to sell. Apple might shot itself in the foot, but I have said it before and will say it again this would be a big death nail in iPads coffin if it happened, iOs is all about content if content is limited it will be the biggest boost to Android and WebOS tablets ever. I have called Apple and while I didn't speak to someone high up in the company I was assured that apple had no plans to change things on the iOS beyond subscriptions, if you have a newspaper app that isn't free, apple wants a cut of it... NY TIMES I believe had an app and was selling subscriptions externally Apple told them to make it free or to allow profit sharing. Apple is a smart company, they have a head start with the iPAD but if content gets limited people will go elsewhere even if they have to pay more for less. 

-Dan

Posts 8
Pastor Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 9:38 PM

It is not worth getting too stressed out about. I love my Ipad and its utilization of the Logos app, but if Apple decides to interfere with that usage, then my Ipad hits Ebay and it will be the last Apple product I purchase. Until that happens, I will enjoy my Ipad and the Logos app.

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:47 PM

Here's a recent article that might indicate retailers are not going to put up with Apple's new policy:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/16/technology/rhapsody_apple_subscriptions/index.htm?hpt=T2

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:57 PM

My understanding is that Apple is requiring that if you make content available in an app that is sold from outside the app, you must do the following:

1) Also allow that content to be sold in-app through the iStore at the same price

2) Not give any link in-app to ways of buying the content out -of-app

3) Restrict in-app purchases to only be available on an iOs device.

(gleaned from a number of articles and blogs I read over the last few days).  If correct, this seems rather draconian.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:13 PM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

My understanding is that Apple is requiring that if you make content available in an app that is sold from outside the app, you must do the following:

1) Also allow that content to be sold in-app through the iStore at the same price

(gleaned from a number of articles and blogs I read over the last few days).  If correct, this seems rather draconian.

Concur with understanding - Apple wants to create convenient electronic store for all digital content using Apple mobile devices that has over 100,000,000 million shoppers.  If consumer choses easy one click purchase in-app on Apple device, then Apple wants 30 % cut.  If consumer chooses external purchase, Apple gets nothing.

With Apple's 30 % cut, content publishers need 42.86 % more in app sales to receive same revenue (e.g. publisher's 21 sales of $ 10 = $ 210 would need 30 sales of $ 10 on an Apple device for same $ 210 revenue).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:00 PM

Mac World article compares Apple book content pricing model with couple others => http://www.macworld.com/article/157945/2011/02/app_store_subscriptions.html

If publishing own book, Apple offers most revenue.

Only content competitor with smaller cut is Google's recently announced One Pass => http://www.businessinsider.com/google-one-pass-2011-2 - article notes "Google One Pass will be powered by Google's payment system, Checkout, which has not exactly drawn rave reviews in the past."

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 33
Jeff Causey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 6:14 PM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

Don't 1 and 3 contradict each other?  Or if  not contradict, aren't they working against each other?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS