The Catholic Encyclopedia

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2011 12:32 PM

Now that a new year, and new book allotment has begun, I am in the process of reviewing the Pre-Pub and Community Pricing selections. I wanted to get your opinion on a resource included in community pricing that I'm unfamiliar with. It's The Catholic Encyclopedia and I have two questions concerning this set.

First, I wanted to know if you think this resource is of value to a Protestant? I mean no harm and am not asking this question with any sarcasim. Actually, since ALL of you are my brothers and sisters, I felt quite comfortable posing the question in this forum.

Second, is anyone familiar with this resource? What do you think about this particular set? At this point, the price is $30.00 for a 17 volume set is an absolute bargain, but I want to purchase resources that I can use.

God bless you in advance for your assistance.

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 31402
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:06 PM

Both the Catholic and Jewish Encyclopedias are available online so you can see what use you might make of them.  Much of the material is useful regardless of your particular beliefs.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2011 1:31 PM

I am a protester, and have found the catholic encyclopedia very, very helpful.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 6:35 AM

Blair Laird:

I am a protester, and have found the catholic encyclopedia very, very helpful.

Peace to you, Blair!                *smile*                    And!             Joy in the Lord!

What, BTW, are you protesting?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2011 7:56 AM

Thumbs up on the Catholic Encyclopedia.  It's a great reference at a great price.

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 8:57 AM

I have used both the Catholic and Jewish Encyclopedias online, they are both great resources by themselves, add them to Logos, they will be amazing.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 8:59 AM

Thanks so much for the great advice. I've added the set to my ever growing list of pre-pubs and community pricing resources.

Blessings,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:09 AM

J Hale:

I have used both the Catholic and Jewish Encyclopedias online, they are both great resources by themselves, add them to Logos, they will be amazing.

I'm bringing these back up for everyone's consideration.  The Jewish and Catholic Encyclopedias are incredible values.

http://www.logos.com/product/8511/the-catholic-encyclopedia  17 volumes 13,712 pages  currently $30 on CP

http://www.logos.com/product/8537/the-jewish-encyclopedia     12 volumes 8,235 pages    currently $50 on CP

Can we get some CP love going for these offerings and get them into production, please?

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:30 AM

Oldnewbie:
Can we get some CP love going for these offerings and get them into production, please?

I am in for more than the current peak on both. Sorry, I can't do more because I would like to have both.

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:39 AM

Jack Caviness:

I am in for more than the current peak on both. Sorry, I can't do more because I would like to have both.

Jack,

Same here. I know both these resources would add tremendously to research projects both present and future.  We can only bid and encourage others to do the same. 

And on an unrelated manner, I'm sorry I haven't expressed this before, but thank you so much for your service to our country.  It's a fine Navy day!!

Posts 10814
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:02 AM

Oldnewbie:
And on an unrelated manner, I'm sorry I haven't expressed this before, but thank you so much for your service to our country.  It's a fine Navy day!!

Thank you. 

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:01 AM

Christina:

Now that a new year, and new book allotment has begun, I am in the process of reviewing the Pre-Pub and Community Pricing selections. I wanted to get your opinion on a resource included in community pricing that I'm unfamiliar with. It's The Catholic Encyclopedia and I have two questions concerning this set.

First, I wanted to know if you think this resource is of value to a Protestant? I mean no harm and am not asking this question with any sarcasim. Actually, since ALL of you are my brothers and sisters, I felt quite comfortable posing the question in this forum.

Second, is anyone familiar with this resource? What do you think about this particular set? At this point, the price is $30.00 for a 17 volume set is an absolute bargain, but I want to purchase resources that I can use.

God bless you in advance for your assistance.

Christina

Hi Christina,

I'm a Catholic Permanent Deacon so I personally find this resource very helpful. I believe this resource could help a protestant in two ways:

1) It will give a historical context to the study of such an old organization as the Catholic Church. A simple example is let say you meet a Dominican or Benedictine monk; an they tell you about their way of life. (Something that might sound completely alien to a Protestant) By studying the origins of these two orders you will learn why Dominicans emphasize preaching and Benedictines focus more on works of mercy. The Catholic Encyclopedia would provide this context with all of the Logos S/W advantages.

2) It will help you learn the "Catholic language" . I found that most of the disagreements between Catholics and Protestants is that in many things we are using the same words but giving them completely different meaning. An example is the word "worship" For a catholic worship exists almost exclusively in the celebration of liturgy. For Protestants it is something completely different (Even among different denominations).

If you go to www.newadvent.com you can peruse the content of this work (Without the Logos advantages).

I hope this helps Big Smile

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 12:46 PM

what a helpful reply, Harbey.  thank you!

Dan.

I'm in.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS