Louw-Nida Lexicon & circle diagrams

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:07 AM

The Louw-Nida lexicon offers a lot of interesting information. I often wished it could present (part of) this data in another way. I was wondering how many people had that same desire. One of the things that I am thinking about is a circle diagram that shows in the middle the semantic domain and in the sections the different words that are part of the domain, including the number of occurences in the NT.

For instance, in a search for the word 'ἅγιος' it would show subdomain Holy/Pure (88 C) in the middle and all the different words (88.24–88.35) in the sections. In a further search it would show domain 88 (Moral and Ethical Qualities and Related Behavior) in the middle and all the subdomains (Goodness, Just/Righteous, Holy/Pure, perfect/Perfection, etc) in the sections. It would look (and function) exactly like how the circle diagrams are used in other searches, but this time based on a lexicon.What are your thoughts about this? If a lot of people like this idea, we could suggest this to Logos.

Posts 18645
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:31 AM

Yes, that would be a cool way to explore semantic domains! Kind of like the Visual Thesaurus.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:48 AM

That is a most excellent idea!

Please submit this to Logos UserVoice:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4

Add a link to this thread to the request.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:54 AM

Yes

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 6:03 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

The Louw-Nida lexicon offers a lot of interesting information. I often wished it could present (part of) this data in another way. I was wondering how many people had that same desire. One of the things that I am thinking about is a circle diagram that shows in the middle the semantic domain and in the sections the different words that are part of the domain, including the number of occurences in the NT.

For instance, in a search for the word 'ἅγιος' it would show subdomain Holy/Pure (88 C) in the middle and all the different words (88.24–88.35) in the sections. In a further search it would show domain 88 (Moral and Ethical Qualities and Related Behavior) in the middle and all the subdomains (Goodness, Just/Righteous, Holy/Pure, perfect/Perfection, etc) in the sections. It would look (and function) exactly like how the circle diagrams are used in other searches, but this time based on a lexicon.What are your thoughts about this? If a lot of people like this idea, we could suggest this to Logos.

Peace to you, Patrick!                                                And!                                                              Joy in the Lord!

Absolutely brilliant!

*smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 57
Bert Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:23 AM

Great idea

Bert Barnes

Acer Extensa, 4gig Ram, 160gig 5400 HD, Core 2 duo processor, WinXP

Posts 26151
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 1:31 PM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 50
Eric Woernle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2011 5:44 PM

YesYes

Posts 852
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 8:08 AM

L-N has such great potential.

Posts 89
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 5:13 PM

great idea i vote yes

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 16 2011 7:46 PM

Yes  :)