Logos 4 Mac... VERY EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 25
garretwnagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:19 PM

Macbook Pro 2.0 ghz late 2008 4GB ram OS 10.6 clean install

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:23 AM

Very good to consider, Robert Phillips - Thanks. (I failed to "forum quote" you correctly, sorry)

In my case, display time has been nearly at a glance to the find completion. I didn't realize there could be a lag to display.

As I have begun to have more than one panel open however, I have noticed a slight delay to those reference resources "catching up" with their display. This must be the nature of what you are experiencing in perhaps all panels. The video card is maybe the difference here?

NVidia GForce GT 330M

Thanks.

Posts 6
John Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:15 AM

It's unstable for me.  About 50% of the time it locks up Finder.  The app itself will run, but it seems to cause a catch somewhere.  The computer won't even shut down when it's like this, so I have to hard boot it.  Not good.

As soon as I reboot...again....I'll post what this machine has.  For now, it's a MacPro 8-core with 2G of memory.  Can't remember the processor and can't access it because Finder is locked up.  :)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:22 AM

John Wright:

It's unstable for me.  About 50% of the time it locks up Finder.  The app itself will run, but it seems to cause a catch somewhere.  The computer won't even shut down when it's like this, so I have to hard boot it.  Not good.

As soon as I reboot...again....I'll post what this machine has.  For now, it's a MacPro 8-core with 2G of memory.  Can't remember the processor and can't access it because Finder is locked up.  :)

Wiki page has Slow Performance section => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#Slow_Performance

With 2 GB RAM, wondering about memory usage - when Mac OS X is paging, all applications wait.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
Corbin Hambrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 5:42 PM

Wow.  I've had my Macbook Pro 17 since June '10 (first mac--and love it), and just now found out it has been running in 32-bit mode.

i5 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, OS X 10.6.6

I got on these forums to find out if others are experiencing Logos constantly showing the beach ball and taking long times to react to scrolling and menu clicks etc.

For example I'll swipe to scroll and sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds before responding.  I'll click the Layouts menu and it can take up 15 seconds to respond.

Here's a screen shot of a search.

...and here's a shot of activity monitor

I'm going to reboot and try again, then boot it at 64-bit and try again.

Posts 5
Corbin Hambrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 5:57 PM

okay so much better performance after reboot

and the layouts menu is coming up in 3 seconds (fastest I've experienced).

Posts 5
Corbin Hambrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 6:51 PM

no improvement at 64-bit though

but there's still significan lag at times (slow click response --multiple seconds, etc.).

Does anybody else come across this???

Posts 82
Andrew Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 7:42 PM

Corbin, did you look at the link that Smiling provided? Here it is again:

http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#Slow_Performance

I found a couple of things there to be very helpful, especially turning of the internet option.

Posts 5
Corbin Hambrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:19 PM

Yes, thanks for replying.  That's actually how I found out about my mac running in 32-bit mode instead of 64.

I didn't turn the Internet thing off.

Isn't that needed to sync so when I use my iPhone app the info is replicated from when I worked on my Macbook?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:37 PM

Corbin Hambrick:

I didn't turn the Internet thing off.

Isn't that needed to sync so when I use my iPhone app the info is replicated from when I worked on my Macbook?

If internet turned off, can use sync now command to replicate between MacBook and Logos servers.  If internet turned on, sync happens automatically every few minutes.

Wondering about Logos 4 Mac version ?

Recently Logos 4.2a Release Candidate 1 released to Beta channel => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30236.aspx - includes several performance optimizations - if no major issues found, will become stable release soon.

Corbin Hambrick:

and here's a shot of activity monitor

Observation: noticed 2.31 GB of Page Outs - Restarting Mac resets memory usage (can be good for performance).

After personally repeating lots of Page Outs (with spinning beach balls), choose to upgrade RAM since I wanted to run more applications than available memory.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
Corbin Hambrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:25 PM

yeah I noticed that too that's why I did a reboot keeping it at 32-bit before doing a reboot at 64 just to make the comparison a little more scientific

I hadn't rebooted in 2 1/2 days and had run Parallels yesterday.

Logos makes my mac slow but Parallels makes my Mac DOG slow.

...not complaining though.  NEVER thought I'd switch to MAC now doubt I'll ever go back to a PC.

Never thought bible study could be so easy and don't know why ANYONE would ever use any other tool given the option.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 27 2011 10:22 AM

Corbin Hambrick:

yeah I noticed that too that's why I did a reboot keeping it at 32-bit before doing a reboot at 64 just to make the comparison a little more scientific

I hadn't rebooted in 2 1/2 days and had run Parallels yesterday.

Logos makes my mac slow but Parallels makes my Mac DOG slow.

...not complaining though.  NEVER thought I'd switch to MAC now doubt I'll ever go back to a PC.

Never thought bible study could be so easy and don't know why ANYONE would ever use any other tool given the option.

I guess i am just really lucky. I have Parallels running constantly (XP SP3, 512MB) and Logos is almost always running and I have never experienced significant slow downs.  I am running an i7 2.66 Macbook pro. The only time I have really ever had slow down complaints is when my sims 3 game is running and that is not that often... (For any sims 3 fans, the user download world fincastle is great it has several churches in it and is a fun world). 

-Dan

Posts 6
Ben Hardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:56 PM

Its unusable for me!

Locks up often!

Very counterintuitive & since I know very little about computers all of the talk on these forums is way over my head.  Customer support is good however & they acknowledged that it is a very difficult program to learn & work & that they were having major problems with a considerable amount of MAC users.

They offered me my $ back but I am going to keep trying a bit longer before I take them up on it because I still have hope!  I just don't have 5 to 10 hours to learn a whole new system.  It is simply not easy for MAC users lots of control clicks, unable to print, no dragging etc.

Sorry to be debbie downer but I have had a bad experience with the program!

Posts 82
Andrew Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 1:33 PM

Hey Ben. Yeah, there is a lot to this software. No doubt about it. It's so involved that my seminary requires us to take a week long class on how to use Logos. If you don't put the time into learning it, you will not get the most out of it.

Have you viewed the video tutorials? You can find them here:

http://www.logos.com/featuredemos

Very good for just getting basic usage. 

When you say it's unusable, is that because of speed or because you don't know the software?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 1:39 PM

Ben Hardman:

Its unusable for me!

Locks up often!

Very counterintuitive & since I know very little about computers all of the talk on these forums is way over my head.  Customer support is good however & they acknowledged that it is a very difficult program to learn & work & that they were having major problems with a considerable amount of MAC users.

They offered me my $ back but I am going to keep trying a bit longer before I take them up on it because I still have hope!  I just don't have 5 to 10 hours to learn a whole new system.  It is simply not easy for MAC users lots of control clicks, unable to print, no dragging etc.

Sorry to be debbie downer but I have had a bad experience with the program!

Replied in forum http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30067.aspx "Help Very Frustrated"

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS