Ability to compare Commentaries by Ratio...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 16 2011 2:51 PM

Hello,

What would you think bout the ability to have the Commentaries in the Explorer Guide, labeled by ratio (difference compared with other commentaries on the subject - for some read almost identical; somewhat unnecessarily using time and space), next to their name. The ones which read alike could stay hidden or at the bottom of the list, while the others list with their determined difference by ratio, and "rank" according to appropriateness (which could by defined by priority, in setting as to whether lexicon style Commentaries are to be ranked/prioritized first or simple explanation styled Commentaries are preferred first), leaving the current option of Favorites ranked by order in place.

Let me Know What You Think!

Douglas

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:11 PM

Douglas:

Hello,

What would you think bout the ability to have the Commentaries in the Explorer Guide, labeled by ratio (difference compared with other commentaries on the subject - for some read almost identical; somewhat unnecessarily using time and space), next to their name. The ones which read alike could stay hidden or at the bottom of the list, while the others list with their determined difference by ratio, and "rank" according to appropriateness (which could by defined by priority, in setting as to whether lexicon style Commentaries are to be ranked/prioritized first or simple explanation styled Commentaries are preferred first), leaving the current option of Favorites ranked by order in place.

Let me Know What You Think!

Douglas

Two commentaries may resemble one another in some ways, but each is unique.  I suggest you simply read what they have to say and make up your own mind.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:25 PM

Hello George,

I was referring to the ability to recognize similar wording and phrasing (especially when you have 30+ commentary sets), moving Logos one step closer to thinking in terms of Question and Answering. Kind of like a Intelli - Bot. Of course you get to do all of the programming  (in settings).     :)

Thanks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:30 PM

Douglas:

Hello George,

I was referring to the ability to recognize similar wording and phrasing (especially when you have 30+ commentary sets), moving Logos one step closer to thinking in terms of Question and Answering. Kind of like a Intelli - Bot. Of course you get to do all of the programming  (in settings).     :)

Thanks!

To mix two stories:  This is HAL -- Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong ..

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 3:35 PM

Hello,

Or like the Intel Robot on their commercial that understands and corresponds with the correct physical response.  :)

I think it would bring Logos closer to a Re-imagining of the imagining, to have the ability to extract precise information based on the particular request of the student rather than hours of research through the research...  : - )

Thanks!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 4:07 PM

Douglas:

Hello,

Or like the Intel Robot on their commercial that understands and corresponds with the correct physical response.  :)

I think it would bring Logos closer to a Re-imagining of the imagining, to have the ability to extract precise information based on the particular request of the student rather than hours of research through the research...  : - )

Thanks!

L3 has a visual filter called "Summarization" (Perhaps L4 has this as well, but I don't know).  I was never very fond of that.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 4:18 PM

Thus, this New Idea!   And After.....Others Like It!  :)

Thanks!

Posts 687
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 4:24 PM

Hello,

It is my belief that Logos has one Road UP....Smarter!  This is the Knocking at that Door  :)  I hope and pray soooner rather than later :) I richly Enjoy Logos and everything thing it entails. To make it simpler and more powerful with 10 times the accuracy would just be Wonderful! We did it with bible comparison in so many ways, Commentaries would be just as helpful, and push the imagination and skill behind Logos to the New levels of Interaction (In All the Ways We Can Come Up With!) .

Thanks!

Posts 50
Randy O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 6:55 AM

Douglas:

I hear what you're asking for and think it would be cool. In the meantime, have you checked out the Exegetical Summaries resources? They lay out the various interpretive possibilities and directly link to each of the commentaries or resources that are in your library. I find them to be VERY helpful for commentary comparison.

Below is a section from Hebrews 12. The links were lost in the cut and paste, but you can see how it might work. I highly recommend this series. It accomplishes what I think you are hoping for.

τίθημι  (LN 37.96) (BAGD I.2.a.α. p. 816): ‘to place’ [Lns], ‘to appoint’ [LN, Mil, NIC, WBC; all versions except NAB, TEV], ‘to make’ [BAGD, HNTC; NAB], ‘to choose’ [TEV]. The reference is to appointment [EGT]. The aorist tense indicates a definite point of time, namely at the beginning [Alf], in eternity past [ICC, My]; or it is timeless [TNTC].κληρονόμος (LN 57.139) (BAGD 2.a. p. 435): ‘heir’ [BAGD, LN, Lns, Mil, NIC, WBC; all versions except TEV, TNT], ‘rightful owner’ [HNTC]. This noun is also translated as a verbal phrase: ‘to possess at the end’ [TEV], ‘to enter into possession of’ [TNT]. The entire clause is translated ‘and everything will someday belong to the Son’ [CEV], ‘God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance’ [NLT].

QUESTION—Why is this and the following clauses mentioned?

They emphasize the exalted status of the Son [NCBC, NIC, NTC]. They show why God’s revelation through his Son is the highest he can give [NIC].

QUESTION—What is meant by the Son being an heir?

This word refers to lawful possession [EBC, NIGTC] without indicating the reason for the possession [EBC]. It means that the Son will come into possession of what rightfully belongs to him [TH]. The Son has possessed the universe since its beginning [HNTC], from eternity [Hwt, Lns, Mil, TNTC]. He received his inheritance as a man when he had completed his saving work [Lns]. It refers to his universal lordship [EGT], to his office as mediator [Hu]. He was appointed heir because of his sonship [Alf, Blm, GNC, Hu, Wst]. His inheritance is redeemed humanity and the renewed universe [Hu].

Posts 10649
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 8:33 AM

Actually Douglas, your idea WOULD move Logos to the 'next level' (that phrase seems to be popular these days). What you're describing is pattern matching and would be VERY useful in any set of comparable resources (e.g. Bibles, commentaries, lexicons, historical manuscripts, tec) ... pretty much the market that Logos 'owns'. Currently a user carefully enters a picky search string hoping for the best. Or in L3, uses 1990s fuzzy-matching. Pattern matching is much broader (you can see it in Google etc) and provides a large provider like Logos with a competitive advantage that realistically couldn't be matched even by 'A' company and 'B' Bible software companies who haven't built backoffice infra-structure. I'd say 'L5' if they don't run out of money on their presentation software.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS