Does anyone know what LE or KF mean?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Gabriel Rodriguez | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:18 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows what "LE" or "KF" mean next to the package that I own? I saw this today when I receive an email telling me to get the new NIV 2011 version, so when I upgraded I saw "Scholar's Library: Platinum (LE) to Scholar's Library: Platinum (KF)". 

I know this is not a big problem to figure out but I'm just curious.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:26 PM

These are basically meaningless designations for successive upgrades to the basic collections. It started years ago with a two letter combo and with each upgrade the first letter goes down one step (closer to A) and the second letter goes up one step (closer to Z). I think it began with QA but that is info I haven't tried to remember.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 7:48 PM

Forum thread has historical package identifiers plus speculation about meaning => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/28219.aspx

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:18 PM

They're pretty much like the meaningless letters designating different editions of a car or some such. Like the Honda Accord DX, EX, and LX and the Acura TSX, and Windows NT. There might have been some idea of a word or phrase that these letters stood for or would remind people of, but it's usually never revealed to the public and is a moot point. I always thought the LX in the Honda Accord series was meant to remind people of "luxury" but I can't prove that. Windows NT stood for New Technology, I think. There might have been some quibble over whether Microsoft admitted that was really where they came up with the letters or if that was just people's speculation, I seem to recall.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 9:06 PM

For Logos, know list of package identifiers - not know meaning - series RA, QB, OC, ND, LE, KF skipped over first letter of P (perhaps to avoid PC designation).

Rosie Perera:
Windows NT stood for New Technology, I think. There might have been some quibble over whether Microsoft admitted that was really where they came up with the letters or if that was just people's speculation, I seem to recall.

Concur NT was marketed as New Technology (also remember joke version Not There).

Trivia observation: HAL was the computer name in a movie - each letter shifted one from IBM.  Windows NT (WNT) has similar letter shift with VMS.  Searching for VMS NT does find some old computer lore (including a wikipedia article about Dave Cutler, who worked at DEC and Microsoft).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26518
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 9:41 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
HAL was the computer name in a movie - each letter shifted one from IBM

HAL, however, was played by a Control Data machine not an IBM/ - sorry I don't remember which model.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 10:21 PM

Trivia observation: HAL was the computer name in a movie - each letter shifted one from IBM.

From an essay on IBM's website: The story has it that the name HAL was chosen because each letter is just one step ahead of IBM. However, this is pure coincidence, and in fact the first incarnations of the computer had a woman's voice and was called "Athena," goddess of wisdom. When someone pointed out the spurious association between HAL and IBM, Kubrick wanted to change the computer's name and refilm the scenes but was dissuaded because of production costs. (For the record, HAL comes from "Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic" computer.)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:51 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks Big Smile - Wonder about future impact of IBM's "Watson" Artificial Intelligence (AI) advancement on cloud computing, including bible study and forum interaction.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:56 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks Big Smile - Wonder about future impact of IBM's "Watson" Artificial Intelligence (AI) advancement on cloud computing, including bible study and forum interaction.

Isn't it obvious?  Look a that almost 8K posts attributed to Rosie "Watson" Perera.  I'm convinced that her sleepless eyes are made of webcams.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 12:11 PM

Thomas Black:

Rosie Perera:

Isn't it obvious?  Look a that almost 8K posts attributed to Rosie "Watson" Perera.  I'm convinced that her sleepless eyes are made of webcams.

Elementary, my dear Watson. I actually had a summer job at IBM in upstate New York one year while I was in college, and was taken to visit the Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights while I was there. I think I might have even met Benoit Mandelbrot that day, though my memory is foggy about that.

Posts 11
Gabriel Rodriguez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 4:30 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Posts 7
Samuel.A.Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 3:51 AM

Here's all the generations of our packages so far:

1. RA: Libronix 1
  2. QB: Libronix 2
  3. OC: Libronix 3
  4. ND: Libronix 3 (maintenance update)
  5. LE: Logos 4
  6. KF: Logos 4 (maintenance update)
Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 4 2014 4:12 AM

Hint: this thread is three years old.Wink

(And there are several more generations by now.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS