How much did you pay?

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 5:47 PM

Jason Hauser:

1. Many of the resources that Logos loves to include and bundle are public domain and free on books.google.com or elsewhere. Yes it might cost $100 to get a bound copy somewhere but if you are flexible you can get the same content on-line for $0.

2. The initial package is a great start but the reality is that future books you wish to add are outrageously expensive. I went to buy "Disciplines of a Godly Man" which Logos lists for $20. Kindle on the other hand lists it for less than $8. Logos couldn't come anywhere near that price even with an academic discount. Can I honestly justify paying double so that I can search the book (kindle does this too) and see pop up reference tags.

Just as a point of clarification since it comes up from time to time, public domain text. PDF, and Word formatted public domain resources that are free on the Internet and Kindle books are NOT competitive with Logos. 

By logic:

1. If you only want to read a resource, find it for free or pay a minimal cost for it on something like a Kindle

2. If you want linking to other resources, searching/organizing by different indices, ability to organize with other resources for research and study functions, ability to highlight and mark up, ability to integrate with your own notes, ability to extract/sort/export/print included bible references and more, you need resources which have data added to them, been formatted, been organized in a database, and been integrated with software offering this functionality.  Additional functionality costs a little more, no one could afford to offer Bible software if their resources needed to compete with public domain or just needed to be read.

There are times it appears to us, the user community, that Logos resources are more expensive than the same resources in other Bible study software offering like-minded functionality. But there are also times Logos resources are cheaper.  To what degree that is an efficiency, condition of the manuscript, Logos pricing, or original resource owner pricing issue we do not know.  I just wanted to make the point that comparing Logos resources to public domain and Kindle resources is illogical.  A person is either going to want the extra functionality or not, and that dictates which resource to acquire and the rationale for a different cost model.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:01 PM

$3.40 per resource

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:04 PM

USD $2.15 per resource!

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:17 PM

Approx. 2.96

Posts 231
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:24 PM

$2.20 per resource.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:28 PM

So I took my Logos total, added my original discount purchase of "Series X Scholar's Library", averaged out all the third party titles, and it actually came to less than a dollar each.Big Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 388
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:09 PM

I have over 5,000 resources and my average unit cost is slightly under $5 a resource.

Posts 38
Bill Fitch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:20 PM

$3.60

Posts 134
L.D. Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:22 PM

$2.91 Big Smile

Posts 1131
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 8:47 PM

$4.054759420289855072463768115942 to be exact. But it's really going to take a dive when Logos releases those 3000+ free resources!

Tom

N/A
Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:18 PM

$3.69/resource.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:24 PM

I've only been here for about 18 months...I started with Platinum package with Hermeneia on pre-pub...and Gottingen Septuagint.  Purchased NICOT/NICNT at X-mas sale, along with a lot of single resources.  Have bought a lot of resources since Christmas, specific ones that are always expensive...and some pre-pubs (eg. Talmud's)...but I am pleased to report that dividing my total expenditure (thus far) by total of resources showing in my library gives the figure of $3.30.  This is not including the Greek/Hebrew videos.

I have only just this month paid everything off...praise the Lord!!!  I have plans for 3 bundles...ANE, Hebrew Bible and Early Judaism (if there are any rep's reading this...any deal if I buy 3 bundles...e-mail me...lol).  If there is ever a real sale on the Anchor commentaries (I don't mean the $100 off e-mail offers...lol) I will purchase that.  Between pre-pubs and CP's, I have $3K booked up. 

The space you can save in your home is worth the price I've spent (not to mention the program's functionality).  I still love my paper library though...at least that can be handed on to others, or sold at some stage.  I am most thankful for Mark Barnes' unofficial videos!!!  I honestly believe Logos should pay him (so that he can take the required time off his normal duties) to produce so much more...as I believe a program such as L4 should come with a lot more helps of this nature (not that I have anything against MP - it is just once you have paid out a lot of money for something, I expect not to pay for videos on how to use it).

The one function I think I like the most (and this from a definite non-scholar) is when you do a word study from the exegetical guide, the textual searches it delivers at the bottom of the page...wow...still blows my mind...not only where the word is found in the Bible...but Philo, Josephus, LXX, DSS, Apostolic Fathers, Pseudepigrapha, Illiad, etc. etc.  I mean, how much work would it be to get that information manually...even if you had the required concordances for all of them.

Anyway...thanks Logos...I am truly blessed by your program...and indeed the fellowship I feel from these forums.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 10:37 PM

Tom Reynolds:
But it's really going to take a dive when Logos releases those 3000+ free resources!

Big Smile My wife has the Bible Study Library package and only a few other collections. When the 3000+ special ships her per resource rate will be about $.10 a book.(That is TEN CENTS per book.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 5 2011 10:41 PM

Is Mebin:
I still love my paper library though...at least that can be handed on to others, or sold at some stage. 

You can also transfer your Logos.  There is a $20 fee per transaction (whether 1 item or 2000) for the transfer.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 12:21 AM

Thanks for that George...I was actually wondering if it was possible...especially since it is a major investment, when I get around one day to a will, I'd like to pass my resources on.

Posts 551
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 6 2011 4:58 AM

*1.77* per book... I think I'm in the lead for best bang-for-the-buck!  Wink Does that mean I get some sort of prize from Logos, huh huh huh?! Can I huh?! Big Smile

Posts 60
Rev. Nannette La Fosse | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 8:11 PM

Hi:

Mines goes to $1.59 Great, no?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 9 2011 10:00 PM

Rev. Nannette La Fosse:

Hi:

Mines goes to $1.59 Great, no?

Yes, Great.

You and Carmen are way ahead cost-wise. Be sure to watch the Pre-Pub page this week for the new 3000+ book collection. It will be free and would significantly lower your per-book cost. I hope you find it interesting enough to download.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS