Initial Setup

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:17 AM

Hi All:

I am absolutely certain this is akin to beating a dead horse for these forums, sorry!

When I am searching a passage, I want all the nifty effects presented in the training videos. I have watched every video found at the logos 4 Mac page. Trouble is, I can't find the video that says, "go here, open this, set this preference, etc" to where the screen presented in all those videos is the screen I am looking at on my desktop.

A friend I was once helping learn to use a computer became frustrated with what I was assuming he knew in the teaching.

"You are not starting at the beginning", He said.

"Yes I am", I said.

"No you're not. Tell me how to make bacon", He said.

"you take a pan, put the bacon in it an fry...", I said.

"STOP!", He said, "The plastic the bacon was in is burning. What do I do"?

Can anyone lead me to the Gerber baby food jar of setup knowledge so I can be spoon fed the setup procedure, please?

When I search for "layout" on the logos website I get a lot of non-Logos 4 Mac "pollution" in the find. Too much to find the resource for Logos 4 Mac. Clearly, I am just getting my feet wet.

Thank you.

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 9:03 AM

Hi John

First two sources of information that will be useful

1. The Wiki found on this page

2 The help file (which does leave a lot to be desired)

As a start to get your tools ready type in a bible reference on the Home Page.

Click on the Go button when your reference is entered. You should get the default work screen.

Use the options from the 'Tools' menu to open as many of the gadgets as you want.

Don't forget you can float panels in independent windows. This means that you can have different parts of the program on different monitors and in different spaces.

Once you have a layout you might like to use again click on 'Layouts' 

click on the little red arrow to give your layout a name.

The layout will appear in the list on the left under its new name.

When you want to return to it - click on Layouts and select your chosen display.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 9:46 AM

Wiki has Logos 4 Mac Overview => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Mac includes links to Logos Mac Videos => http://www.logos.com/videos/mac (noticed tutorial on layouts)

WIki has Layouts page => http://wiki.logos.com/Layouts__

Wiki has links to Mark Barnes videos => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Bible_Software_Wiki

Forum has Mark Barnes sermon preparation video links => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7715.aspx

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 5:35 PM

Thanks Guys.

Posts 6
Ben Hardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:28 PM

Is there anything simpler than watching hours of video or reading something larger than the volumes I ordered?

It seems the biggest problem is all of this is counterintuitive instead of simple!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:30 PM

ben:

Is there anything simpler than watching hours of video or reading something larger than the volumes I ordered?

It seems the biggest problem is all of this is counterintuitive instead of simple!

Some items in Logos are simple while other capabilities take some time to learn and use.

Logos user interface has its own conventions (bit different from Mac and PC conventions - especially menu items with right click options).

Rosie Perera includes "Learning Logos is an iterative process, and you've got to start somewhere." in her signature.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 3:19 AM

ben:

s there anything simpler than watching hours of video or reading something larger than the volumes I ordered?

The best thing is not to worry about what the program can do but what you want it to do.

Actually for most of us there are whole sections of the program that we rarely venture into and those same sections for others are those they rarely venture out of.

Want to write a sermon?

Want to do an intensive word study?

Want to look at all the opinions on a certain doctrine?

All these are likely to have different methods of approach.

So in short - decide what you want to accomplish - watch the relevant videos - read the relevant wiki pages - and have a go at that particular task.

Posts 10603
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:43 PM

ben:

Some applications are simple and intuitive because they do not do very much. Applications with complex capabilities are seldom intuitive and  are never simple. As Mike advised concentrate on the parts of the application that you will use and learn the rest as the need arises.

It take diligent work to learn Logos 4, but the end result is well worth the effort.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS