Old Testament Library

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 22
Keith Ferguson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 19 2011 5:24 AM

I like to see the Old Testament Library commentary in Logos format.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 5:53 AM

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:02 AM

Thomas Black:

http://amzn.com/B001KQDHCQ

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/old-testament-library-otl/

Yes This looks like a good series! I hadn't heard of it before.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:06 AM

I Agree it looks like a great set.  Yes

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 19140
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:26 AM

Here's the publisher's link for the series:

http://www.wjkbooks.com/Products/CategoryCenter/BSE!OTL/Old_Testament_Library.aspx

And it looks like WJKP has put out a New Testament Library series to go with OTL:

http://www.wjkbooks.com/Products/CategoryCenter/BAB!NTL/New_Testament_Library.aspx

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:37 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thomas Black:

http://amzn.com/B001KQDHCQ

http://bestcommentaries.com/series/old-testament-library-otl/

Yes This looks like a good series! I hadn't heard of it before.

The Von Rad Genesis volume was an old friend of mine when I was in seminary.  I used it extensively in writing my sermon on Gen 32.  One time I even had the temerity to write a sermon on the begats.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:46 AM

Yes for both OTL and NTL.

And, yes, I read von Rad for my OT class as well.

Also noted that there are at least 5 women writing the OTL commentaries, and at least 3 the much smaller NTL. That's rather unusual! Commentary series tend to be nearly 100% male. (Not that 3 or 5 is particularly impressive... -- but at least it's a step in the right direction.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:20 AM

fgh:

Also noted that there are at least 5 women writing the OTL commentaries, and at least 3 the much smaller NTL. That's rather unusual! Commentary series tend to be nearly 100% male. (Not that 3 or 5 is particularly impressive... -- but at least it's a step in the right direction.)

I understand the point and agree, but it's getting to the point where I'm thoroughly tired of all of the gender equity bit.  If someone is the best in the field, it shouldn't matter whether he wears pants or a skirt.  I wish society would simply "get over it."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:51 AM

George Somsel:
If someone is the best in the field, it shouldn't matter whether he wears pants or a skirt. 

Apart from the fact that I tend to wear pants Stick out tongue, the question, of course, is: are we getting "the best in the field"? Or are we just getting "the boys' club"? Are 99% of the best exegetes men? (If so: why?) Or are the women simply not given the chance? Are we, in fact, being denied "the best in the field"?

And in any case, I tend to think that a resource written from a different perspective has value in itself, whether or not it's strictly speaking "the best". If I have "the best" commentary, "number 2" (which just says the same thing, but less eloquently) might have much less value to me than "number 10", which says something completely different. That's why I tend to buy things like the Catena Aurea, ACCS, Lightfoot, JPS, messianic commentaries and so on. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 10:15 AM

fgh:

Apart from the fact that I tend to wear pants Stick out tongue, the question, of course, is: are we getting "the best in the field"? Or are we just getting "the boys' club"? Are 99% of the best exegetes men? (If so: why?) Or are the women simply not given the chance? Are we, in fact, being denied "the best in the field"?

That is explained by historical factors.  It was only within the last few decades that women began to enter into and be accepted in the field of theology.  It's not as though a competent corpus of female biblical scholars are about to, like Athena, spring full-grown from the brow of Zeus.  This takes some time.  In the meantime, not all women who undertake theological studies are eminently qualified just as not all men are eminently qualified.  I would oppose a quota system.  The fact that there are fewer women who are gaining status in the field is thus explicable without resorting to some theory of an "old boys' club", and the ratio is likely to change over time.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:04 AM

George Somsel:
That is explained by historical factors.

True 50 years ago, but this is supposed to be 2011. The ratio should have begun to change some time ago. And why is it that OTL/NTL obviously can find at least 8 qualified women, while NICOT/NICNT can only find... I think I counted to 1,5, if I remember correctly (one was a cowriter)?

George Somsel:
I would oppose a quota system.

Who said anything about a quota?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 12:57 PM

fgh:

George Somsel:
That is explained by historical factors.

True 50 years ago, but this is supposed to be 2011. The ratio should have begun to change some time ago. And why is it that OTL/NTL obviously can find at least 8 qualified women, while NICOT/NICNT can only find... I think I counted to 1,5, if I remember correctly (one was a cowriter)?

George Somsel:
I would oppose a quota system.

Who said anything about a quota?

NICOT/NICNT is a more conservative publication.  Their choices are generally not based on an "old boy network" but on prinicipled grounds (which is not to say that I agree with their principles since I don't).  The idea behind their opposition to females in theological works is based more on a very literal interpretation that "a woman is not to teach or to exercise authority over a man."  This is, in my opinion based on the erroneous notion that everything in the bible is to be understood and followed in an extremely literal fashion.  It doesn't allow for the notion that Paul's admonition may have been based on the sociological situation of the time which is no longer true.

You said something about a quota -- implicitly.  If there are not sufficient numbers of women, blacks, homosexuals, tree-huggers in a particular area then there is a movement to increase those numbers by specifically seeking out those neglected groups.  There MUST be some conception of the number which is considered to be "right" -- otherwise one could not say there weren't enough.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 3:33 PM

George Somsel:
You said something about a quota -- implicitly.

No I didn't! What I implicitly said was that the percentage of qualified women in all likelihood is (considerably) larger than the percentage of women contracted to write Bible commentaries (as OTL/NTL also shows). They shouldn't be hired to fill some quota -- they should be hired because they're qualified!

Could we leave this now, and let this thread revert to being a Suggestions thread? 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 7:58 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread...this series (and its NT counterpart) needs to get done!!!!

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:03 PM

Keith Ferguson:

Me too and the NT one also.

Ud Laugh 2 if you had disciples like us.

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2012 11:00 PM

I DEFINITELY would like to see the OTL and the NTL come to Logos.

Posts 12
Freddy Lam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 3:05 PM

YesYesYes

I'd like to see OTL digitized as well!! Or else where can you find Gerhard Von Rad on Genesis, and Old Testament Theology!

Posts 182
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 7:14 PM

Yes OTL and NTL should've been available long ago, imho.

Posts 579
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 23 2012 8:43 PM

Keith Ferguson:

I recommended this series in another forum, along with many others, and their respective links to the actual publisher's site.

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 3:50 PM

I'll bump this up again.

The Old Testament Library (OTL) and The New Testament Library (NTL) is, in my opinion, the best mid-level commentary series available today, especially for those of us who are more progressive in our Christian faith. Given that Logos seems to already be working on the Westminster Bible Companion, produced by the same publisher, I believe, there has to be at least a chance that Logos will get OTL/NTL in the works, too.

Genesis (von Rad); Exodus (Childs); Leviticus (Gerstenberger); Deuteronomy (Nelson); Joshua (Nelson); Judges (Niditch); Ruth (Nielsen); 1-2 Chronicles (Japhet); Ezra-Nehemiah (Blenkinsopp); Esther (Levinson); Job (Habel); Proverbs (Clifford); Song of Songs (Exum); Lamentations (Berlin); Isaiah (Childs); Jeremiah (Allen); Hosea (Mays); Joel and Obadiah (Barton); Amos (Mays); Jonah (Limburg); Micah (Mays); Nahum, Habbakuk, and Zephaniah (Roberts); Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi (Petersen, two volumes) – all of these are outstanding OTL volumes, and some are the best in their field (in my opinion; but also check out Ralph Klein's list of recommended commentaries, for example).

Likewise, I've found Colossians (Sumney) and Revelation (Blount) from NTL extremely helpful in my own work. (Sumney's contribution on the household code of Colossians is vital material.) And Marianne Meye Thompson's entry on John is already highly anticipated by many.

I'd buy both sets in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS