Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
Gene Christian | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 19 2011 4:16 PM

I'm using the Lexam Greek-English Interlinear Septuagint and beginning with Jeremiah 26 the chapters are no longer the same.  Chapter 26 in the LXX is chapter 46 in the ESV!  Likwise chapter 27 LXX is chapter 50 in the ESV, chapter 38 in LXX is chapter 31 in the ESV - what's up with this?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 5:01 PM

Gene:

I'm using the Lexam Greek-English Interlinear Septuagint and beginning with Jeremiah 26 the chapters are no longer the same.  Chapter 26 in the LXX is chapter 46 in the ESV!  Likwise chapter 27 LXX is chapter 50 in the ESV, chapter 38 in LXX is chapter 31 in the ESV - what's up with this?

The order of the verses & chapters in Jeremiah is different than in the Hebrew OT (and our English text). There are also entire sections missing, and others added.

Though I haven't checked the particular passage you're looking at, I do know I've had problems with the LXX and Jeremiah in the past as well.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 19
Gene Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:39 PM

Thank you!  I was thinking I possibly had a faulty installation - or something similar - of my LXX

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:49 PM

FYI: For Logos 4 we completely redesigned the Bible verse map conversions so that (among other things) these kinds of alignments are rock solid, so that if one links the ESV to the LXX, they scroll together despite significant differences in organization.

Posts 26285
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:04 PM

Vincent Setterholm:
these kinds of alignments are rock solid,

Yes, they are. Thank you. I've tried and tried to break them without success.Cool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 4:39 AM

Also review Ex 38 to Ex 40 - [imho] the scroll used as a master fell apart and the scribes did their best to include everything but the order does not match [in hard copy]

Posts 10123
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 12:03 PM

They traced the shattering-scrolls problem to the original type of animal skin being used. It was a common problem in the late-Bronze. (April 1 is coming soon but NOT before MARCH MADNESS!)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS