New Macbook Pro

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 6:38 AM

I'm not going to get another Macbook Pro (have an early 2009 13 inch) but will, instead, opt for the iMac once it's refreshed. I'm sure the intel chips and speed will be enhanced in the iMac line in a similar fashion as the Macbook Pro line. However, if money were an unlimited resource, I'd be typing this entry in the Apple store, while waiting for them to put my new Macbook Pro into a bag!

I just love technology!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 259
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:05 AM

I have considered a Mac Book Pro, they are beautiful and very reliable machines.  But I cannot in good conscience spend that kind of money on a laptop, they are overpriced. Logos4 works great on Windows7 and you can get a powerful pc for much less than a mac. Just my two cents : )

Posts 1545
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:06 AM

Same specs, perhaps, but not with the equivalent build and design quality.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 259
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 8:21 AM

>>>>Same specs, perhaps, but not with the equivalent build and design quality.>>>

I agree, but I can buy a powerful new pc laptop every other year for the price of a mac book pro. 

Posts 33
Jeff Causey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:13 AM

Steve Clevenger:

>>>>Same specs, perhaps, but not with the equivalent build and design quality.>>>

I agree, but I can buy a powerful new pc laptop every other year for the price of a mac book pro. 

That's the same issue I am struggling with in my head.

Posts 259
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 11:34 AM

Why buy the Lexus when all I need is the Toyota Camry? With the savings you can buy additional Logos4 resources  Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 11:46 AM

Steve Clevenger:

Depends on component trade off(s) for buying powerful new PC laptop every other year.  Without ThunderBolt, can configure new Dell 17" XPS with more hardware than 17" MacBook Pro for similar price (e.g. 16 GB Ram, 3 GB video - class 1 graphics, dual 640 GB 7200 RPM drives, and 3D screen) - submitted product feedback comment to Apple (easier to justify premium pricing with premium components).

Bit disappointed in Apple's default hard drive specs, especially since faster 7200 RPM hard drives are few dollars more.  Also surprised by mid-range graphics choice (class 2) => http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

For both Dell and Apple, prefer to buy refurbished models - looking for best value (not cheapest computer) - Apple reduced pricing for older (slower) models:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

Dell outlet periodically offers coupons to reduce price (varies with inventory) - do compare Dell outlet price with new (can be identical).

Steve Clevenger:
Why buy the Lexus when all I need is the Toyota Camry? With the savings you can buy additional Logos4 resources  Yes

As long as "Toyota Camry" has appropriate components for great Logos performance - concur with using hardware savings to purchase more Logos resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 82
Andrew Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 7:52 PM

Steve, to each his own I guess. I just have found that when I have a Mac I spend much less time managing my computer and more time actually working. I could have continued using my 2007 Macbook (not a pro model) if it weren't for Logos - which was still usable but just too slow for my liking. My wife is now using my old machine for web, email, and writing (Scrivener) - which it is totally capable of doing. I expect she could use that 2007 machine for at least 2 more years, making my $1200 Mac investment last 6 years. A friend of mine just upgraded his Macbook Pro after almost ten years with his last Mac. I hope this machine will at least keep working for me until Logos 5 Wink So, I don't really mind paying extra for a machine that doesn't get in my way and I can use much longer than I can the average PC. Also, with my new Macbook Pro, I don't feel the need to buy a desktop at all. If I want to work at a desk with a huge monitor (that I can get for a couple hundred bucks) then all I need to do is plug my Macbook Pro into it.

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 10:11 PM

cause the resale on the camry drops drastically.  T.C.O (total cost of ownership is something people dont often take into account. I have work mates that once a year have to pay the repair guy alot to get there machine sorted. Also i dont need to buy alot of extra software. I even run a commercial website for a friend using the free iweb that comes with every Mac and my wife would kill me if she didnt have iphoto

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 27 2011 3:24 PM

Mac models do retain more value than PC's.  Also, Apple seldom changes prices after introduction so Mac Rumors has a Buyer's Guide:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

In Portland, Oregon, Power Max has a trade-in program along with offering used Macs for sale:

http://www.powermax.com/

shane blyth:
I have work mates that once a year have to pay the repair guy alot to get there machine sorted

Apple offers quality free technical support at Apple Stores - Genius Bar.  In contrast, am aware of one PC service department that replaced a hard drive under warranty - installed a new hard drive - did not install any operating system so repaired laptop not usable.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:34 PM

Computer World has article about Mac Book Pro assembly quality => http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9211839/Apple_s_new_MacBook_Pros_raise_quality_concerns

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2704
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:09 PM

Typical first run issues I think with assembly. I remember some older MAC desktop models had solder rattling around the cases. Some of the early iMacs about a year or so ago were shipping out in bad shape too. Another reason to let the dust settle and reviews come in first. 

As to cost, PCs are a better deal. You can run Logos on a $450 PC with monitor from Walmart. As to value, Macs are actually cheaper. My two year old Mac Mini w. 2GB runs Logos 4 Mac ok. The only upgrade I did was installing Snow Leopard for $30. Like getting a new computer for the cost of a dinner out.   

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2704
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:35 AM

There are times that I hate being right. Look here for another case of nothing new under the sun here

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/thermal-grease-and-the-macbook/201

Or maybe it's a case of nothing new on top of the circuits...

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS