Visual Markup Hot Keys

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 9 2009 6:29 PM

Sometimes I markup a text with different colors (or designs as in the Precepts).  It becomes time consuming to click on the menus to change the markup style in order to apply different markup styles to different texts.  After I go through this process, I seem to lose my concentration on what I was reading.

How about Hot Keys that we can assign to different markup styles?  We already have CTRL-K to apply the default markup to the highlighted text, why not more?  It could be something like the bookmarks...8 - 10 open hot keys where we can assign markup styles that we use frequently.

Thanks for listening (I hope....)

John

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:09 PM

[?  We already have CTRL-K to apply the default markup to the highlighted text, why not more?  It could be something like the bookmarks...8 - 10 open hot keys where we can assign markup styles that we use frequently.

Thanks for listening (I hope....)

Thanks for posting, John!

Peace to you!  *smile*

Never ever knew about CTRL-K before although have been using Libronix for years.  I guess I have a lot more to learn!

Yours in Christ,

Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1810
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:30 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:
How about Hot Keys that we can assign to different markup styles?  We already have CTRL-K to apply the default markup to the highlighted text, why not more?  It could be something like the bookmarks...8 - 10 open hot keys where we can assign markup styles that we use frequently.

John, you should create your own markup toolbar and then assign shortcut keys to the various markups. I think you'll find some help in Doing Things Faster with the Keyboard, Part 1.

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 9:16 PM

Hi, John:

Phil makes a good point, but as he mentions in the article, it's easy to accidentally override existing hotkey assignments, since afaik Libronix does not provide any housekeeping or policing of new entries as you make them.  Also, I personally don't like to clutter my screen with lots of toolbar stuff.

It's really much easier than that to apply multiple highlight styles interchangeably, at least if you're willing to give up a small footprint of your workspace.

Many people who use Visual Markup either use Ctrl-K to apply their most recent style, or they click on the (supplied) toolbar button if they've chosen to make it visible.  Either of these methods works great, as long as you always want to apply the SAME markup style to each new selection.

However, some people may not realize that it's JUST AS EASY to apply MULTIPLE styles as you read through a book, with NO extra keystrokes to change styles from one selection to the next:

a. You can build your own custom pallette of marker styles from any combination of individual markers from any of the existing styles, by clicking view > visual markups > edit > (select closest existing set to what you like) > Copy (pallete) > Rename > (give it a name you remember) > (delete the styles you don't want) > choose another pallette that has stuff you do want) > (use Copy To with each style you like and specify your new list) > repeat as required;  OR, you can start with a blank pallette by clicking Add instead of Copy, and add styles from there;  OR, you can actually create your OWN unique marker style (in a custom pallette you created) by selecting that pallette and clicking the Add (style) button - a really cool window pops open with a gazillion options you can play with.

b. you can get that custom pallette to appear as a small resident popup on the screen (view > visual markups), alongside whatever you are reading, so that you can just highlight the text, and then click once on the style you wish to use.  The popup window does not go away.  You can stretch it downwards so that all your styles are visible at once.  So, highlighting YOUR way is simply:  select text, click.

This  is one of the most robust and coolest features in Libronix.  VERY nicely laid out.  However, I went for YEARS thinking that the only "quick" method was Ctrl-K or the toolbar button ... and was frustrated by having to use the toolbar-button's downarrow, then select pallettes, then styles, etc over and over to get different colors to appear. 

Pardon me if I'm sharing what everyone else already knew ... *I* didn't, maybe because version 2.0 didn't have that feature :~)

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 9:26 PM

JimDean:
you can get that custom pallette to appear as a small resident popup on the screen (view > visual markups), alongside whatever you are reading, so that you can just highlight the text, and then click once on the style you wish to use.  The popup window does not go away.  You can stretch it downwards so that all your styles are visible at once.  So, highlighting YOUR way is simply:  select text, click.

Here is a snapshot of what I mean ... btw I just threw in a bunch of markings randomly.  Note that they can OVERLAP one another, as well.  Truly cool!

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 8:59 AM

John:

Why not download the HighLighting Pen for Morris Proctor?

https://www.mpseminars.com/index.cfm/pageid/1175/index.html  

James

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 10 2009 10:59 AM

...and this is what I will do.  Thanks everyone for the input.

John

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 11 2009 7:05 AM

Jim, I forgot about the floaty window, thanks for the reminder.  I will start using that more.  I still would like to see the following options:

1. "Always on" hightlighter, that when you are reading, simply selecting a portion of text highlights in your current color.

2.  Ability to right click to access a highlight menu, saving some time to go tot he toolbar menu. (if you have an "always on" highlight function checked, then right clicking within this mode would give you the pallette. (but as I think about it, not sure how it would work seamlessly with suggesting #1 of mine . . . you would have to change it before you select, I guess)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS