MS Word or Notes

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:02 AM

Bible Study Notes

I'm curious about how many of us use the Logos note feature versus pasting info into a word processor like MS Word or One Note. I paste everything into Word. I've simply never made a singe Logos note (except at Camp Logos to learn how).

I use a desktop search engine to find relevant document files for work I've already done.  Usually I search for a key phrase from a scripture reference.

I've read so many complaints about Logos notes I think my strategy may be justified. Still, I'd like to hear what others say about the advantage of using L4's native note-taking abilities.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 1389
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:12 AM

When I was using Logos on the desktop, I used Logos notes to take down quick thoughts or copy and paste noteworthy passages from books or commentaries.

Now I spend most of my study time on the iPad, and since Logos for iOS has not yet implemented notes and copy/paste features, I use a third-party solution for note taking (either the built-in iPad Notes app, or OliveTree's notes feature which syncs to their server and is accessible from any web browser).

In either case, when it comes time for actual sermon or lesson preparation, I use Word (for sermons) or PowerPoint (for Sunday School lessons).

Peter

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:24 AM

Steve Johnson:

Bible Study Notes

I'm curious about how many of us use the Logos note feature versus pasting info into a word processor like MS Word or One Note. I paste everything into Word. I've simply never made a singe Logos note (except at Camp Logos to learn how).

I use a desktop search engine to find relevant document files for work I've already done.  Usually I search for a key phrase from a scripture reference.

I've read so many complaints about Logos notes I think my strategy may be justified. Still, I'd like to hear what others say about the advantage of using L4's native note-taking abilities.

I take what would be the note equivalent of writing in the margins (of a Bible with wide margins). Typically very short notes on a passage, or even a word where I don't want to forget some simple, but important observations I made. Here's an example of a note I attached to Col 4:10:

Aristarchus:
Mentioned 5X in NT: In Acts 19:29 as traveling companion of Paul. Also in Acts 20:4; Acts 27:2 (which mentions he was from Thessalonica) also mentioned in Phm 24 as fellow worker and here (Col 4:10) as fellow prisoner.

That's not the sort of thing that I'd likely search long and hard for, but important enough to have at my finger tips next time I come across this passage. Though I haven't done it yet, it wouldn't be difficult to copy this note to the other 4X his name appears in the NT.

More thorough studies (e.g., comparing the use of logos with rhema) I would do outside of Logos notes. For me that would be in WordPerfect (I don't have MSWord), but the idea is the same. Others have used other external note taking programs and I'm sure they'll chime in with their favorites. I haven't found them to be any more helpful than just putting my notes in WP, and then keeping them in a separate directory just for this sort of thing.

One thing I've found in using desktop search engines, or even the search capabilities of WP, is that I need to be consistent with how I cite Scripture. Is it 1 Cor 13:8, or 1Cor 13:8, or 1Co 13.8, or 1 Co 13,8 (space between 1 & Cor?, always use a colon?, abbreviation or not?)? I have tried to use a full Bible name instead of abbreviations and colons between the chapter and verse number.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3702
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:31 AM

I've posted these links before (and probably will again), but since the topic comes up every so often, here are some Notes alternatives that others have suggested:

Here are a couple lists that I have seen in the past:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3548/35924.aspx#35924

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9668/76611.aspx

That should give a number of alternatives for NOTES.

I have not verified the current status of all these links - but they all worked when originally posted.

EDIT:  I just noticed that neither of these lists include Evernote:  www.evernote.com

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:31 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

One thing I've found in using desktop search engines, or even the search capabilities of WP, is that I need to be consistent with how I cite Scripture. Is it 1 Cor 13:8, or 1Cor 13:8, or 1Co 13.8, or 1 Co 13,8 (space between 1 & Cor?, always use a colon?, abbreviation or not?)? I have tried to use a full Bible name instead of abbreviations and colons between the chapter and verse number.

Thanks for the many comments (so quickly, too!). 

Richard, I've noticed the same thing about consistency in references.  That's also one of the reasons I usually search for scripture phrases. Most of my exegeses use either NASB or NIV84 as their "base translation." I look for a phrase from the relevant passage that is common to both. Right now I'm working on 1 Peter 1:1 and a common phrase between my two favorite translations is "scattered throughout Pontus". That would become my search phrase.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:33 AM

I've only recently begun using Notes in earnest. So far I have several Notes files, for different purposes:

• Footnotes, Cross References & Expansions - this is for extra information from elsewhere to add to the content; a link to another relevant section of this or another resource; a quick explanatory note about who someone is who is given passing reference in a resource; fill in the missing text when something was elided in a quote in a resource; etc. So this Note file is to make my rereading of the text more informed next time I come this way.
  • Questions & Research to undertake - what it sounds like
  • Marginal Notes - my responses to what I'm reading; agreements, disagreements, aha! insights, etc.
  • Typos & Missing Links to Report - used only when I'm offline with no Internet access; I just add notes containing links to the place where the typo was located and the correction; then it's easy for me to go through and report them when I'm back online.
  • Corrections & Critique - this is when there is some factual misinformation in the resource

I color code each of my Notes files so the notes flags give me some indication as to whether it's a correction or an expansion or my own commentary, etc. There's no way to set the default note color for an entire Notes file, but it's easier for me to keep track of which notes I should turn red or blue or whatever when all the notes in each file need to be the same color.

The biggest benefit I can see to having the Notes in Logos instead of in Word is the automatic link back to the place in the resource where the Note was inserted, and the ability to click the Note flag in the resource to jump to the Note. Yes, you can do the former if you keep your Notes in Word, but it's slightly more work. Notes are still pretty slow in Logos but they're much better on my new faster machine. I'm looking forward to them becoming more and more usable. But I decided I needed to really start using them if I wanted to have a voice in asking for improvements.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:56 AM

I hope Logos reads this thread, a thread like this should not need to be posted, but it is!

I have spent 1000's of dollars on my Logos bible study program, and like the other users on this thread still feel I need something more than the notes feature offered in Logos 4.

What a shame...one of the most helpful features for learning is not up to par in the best bible software on the market! 

I understand most people do not even use their notes, so I guess it might seem silly to improve the notes feature, but the people that understand how much more useful the program would be to learning, if Logos 4 had a proper notes feature should be able to expect the top of the line bible software program to meet their needs and more!

I ask Logos to please take the time and effort to improve this feature and help those that want to take their learning to the top level!!!

I use the note taking feature in a free bible study program to record my work, it is searchable and more helpful to me than the system is in Logos 4 or Libronix 3, and it is free.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 28
Allen Dearing | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 11:51 AM

I use notes extensively.  I have basically written my own commentary on the Bible over 20 years.  The notes were originally in another program, but I transfered them to Logos.  I have a note on just about every verse in the bible.  I know this goes with only one translation, but then if you keep it open it pops them up, even if you are reading another tranlastion at the time.  I do not know what I would do without the notes. 

My main problem is that the documentation for the program is horrific.  Does anyone know how to save a note set and then load it on Logos 4 on another computer?

Allen

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:36 PM

Allen Dearing:
Does anyone know how to save a note set and then load it on Logos 4 on another computer?

Not sure what you're asking: see notes in one computer you own in another you own, or share notes between users.

At this point the only way to see notes in more than one computer you own is by syncing between those computers (must have "Use Internet" set to "Yes").

At some point, Logos plans to have the ability to share note files (and other user files) between users. We don't have a time table on that implementation, however.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:59 PM

I just use Logos 4 notes because, like Richard, I see them like w-i-d-e margins in my bible...not a full blown Word clone.

I also use clippings to save things I've read that are pertinent.

I do want as much functionality as I can get in notes but I realize that they are not competing for the word processor market.

I just don't like to go to 3rd party programs, even OneNote (which I like) to take notes.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 4:30 PM

I use notes nearly every day - all my sermon prep work is done in notes then It into word for printing out - I have notes for every Bible book and every sermon I have preached over the last 5 or so years. I use folders extensively to organize my notes (Thank you Mark Barnes)

After a great deal of frustration with the slowness of notes in Logos 4 I finally have a machine that minimizes the problem - Toshiba p500 laptop with I7 processor, 8 gig ram, solid state drive for Logos (thank you Richard) and win 7 as well as a 500 gig fast hard drive for everything else, 1 gig dedicated grapics card. Logos notes are finally responsive enough to keep up with my typing!

I love having my notes and exegetical work right there in Logos - jumping to scripture in each message is a piece of cake. Whee!

Posts 3701
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 5:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
The biggest benefit I can see to having the Notes in Logos instead of in Word is the automatic link back to the place in the resource where the Note was inserted, and the ability to click the Note flag in the resource to jump to the Note.

Yes +1

So I keep everything that I want to keep LONG TERM in Word.

I use Notes mainly in BIble studies using Logos, to cross-reference to the exact spot in some other study resource that illuminates the text I'm using.

For example, in a Bible study on Ezra / Nehemiah, I used notes to link from Bible text to a picture (lookup instructions for L4's Biblical things, places, or people). Where we ought to look at a particular word, I'll link to the exact spot in an interlinear. And for repeated references to dates, I'll link back to a table of dates in the front matter in the Logos resource we're using for a study guide.

But I don't count on keeping these notes past the particular Bible study, because it helps me to be fresh on the topic by doing the research again if we should ever tackle this Bible book again.

For sermon research, I always copy what I used into a Word document that I store in a folder (named for the Bible book it comes from ) along with the sermon that resulted from it.

Many blessings to you!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 28
Allen Dearing | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:13 AM

Actually I wanted to do both.  I use Logos 4 mainly on my desktop (larger monitor), but I would also like to take and move all the notes I create to my laptop copy of Logos 4 for when I am traveling. My main idea was to make changes on the desktop only and just have the notes to be read on the laptop.  I then also thought about the fact that I have written a commentary on the whole Bible over the last 30 years of preaching and studying through the Bible each year and that there might be people out that that would like to add my notes to their Logos4 (since you can have multiple notes open at a time) and that there might be people out there that I could add to my notes.

One thing I did try that did not seem to work is copy the note file from the Desktop and then tranfer it to the laptop and replace the note file on the laptop with that file, but it does not seem to work that way.

Are you saying that I can actually sync (change both note files with the same name and they coordinate what I have with both comuters) if I Use the Internet for syncing?  The problem I am having is that my computers are having problems with the internet access to Logos 4 and keeps popping up something about a proxy server.  I actually had to activate by email because of it.

Allen

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:34 AM

Allen Dearing:

One thing I did try that did not seem to work is copy the note file from the Desktop and then tranfer it to the laptop and replace the note file on the laptop with that file, but it does not seem to work that way.

Are you saying that I can actually sync (change both note files with the same name and they coordinate what I have with both comuters) if I Use the Internet for syncing?

Yes, syncing should happen automatically if you're connected to the Internet. You might have a problem if both note files have the same name though, and they have different contents.

Normally if you make changes to a Note file, Logos will sync that almost immediately to the server, so that when you open Logos on another machine, you should see those same notes show up. If it doesn't happen right away, you can force the sync by clicking on the sync arrows in the upper right (near Layout menu):

I'd back up your Note files before connecting just in case something happens. Sync looks at the dates, I believe, and the most recently edited file would take precedence. I don't believe it tries to merge the files if they have different contents on each machine.

Allen Dearing:
The problem I am having is that my computers are having problems with the internet access to Logos 4 and keeps popping up something about a proxy server.

If you're having problem with Logos 4 Internet access, check out this page for solutions: http://wiki.logos.com/Cannot_connect_to_Logos_servers. There's a section in there about dealing with proxy servers. If you don't normally need to connect to the Internet via a proxy server, then you probably need to remove any proxy info from the Logos login screen.

Posts 1665
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:13 AM

Steve Johnson:
I'm curious about how many of us use the Logos note feature versus pasting info into a word processor ...

For anything comprehensive I use Word, but I've found Notes useful for recording the kinds of things I used to write inside the back cover of the books -- mostly clues about what I found useful and where it's found. The hyperlinking makes it quick to use. Example:

Another use is the Recommended Reading note, which is just a list of the resources I would like to read one day.

Posts 3702
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:20 AM

Though I do not use Notes regularly for Bible Study, I do use Notes as a place to store illustrations that I discover in my reading - either from on-line sources or paper sources.  I will also, when possible, post a link to the original source of the illustration.  Regardless of the source, I try to record the source so I can give proper credit when I push my sermon outlines out to my blog.

The title of entry includes the subjects or themes that would seem to be covered by the illustration.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:30 AM

Steve Johnson:

Bible Study Notes

I use my notes in a different fashion.  I use them as a electronic file cabinet.  This way, I could link what I had found online to the scripture text.  I also have a note file for each class that I took in seminary, and I linked all of my papers to their scriptural reference.

I have found this to be very useful. 

Still, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't.  After going through the upgrade to L4 and seeing how our data is handled, I do not trust storing my data in a Logos program any longer.

I have lost too much data in the upgrade to L4.  I lost all of my workspaces (Layouts in L4), and I had a workspace for each Sunday within the three year lectionary cycle plus several extra workspaces for other items.  I did not have a lot of collections, but Logos said that they are not importing them (or workspaces) simply because they way they are doing these items in L4 is different.

None of our preferences where imported into L4.

What gets under my skin is how they have handled is notes.  I have a lot of tables in my L3 notes, and only some of them are imported.  There is a post by a Logos employee about this, and this was done by design.  No images are imported (again by design).  What tops the list is that they change my data.  That is correct, they changed my data.  You can set a flag indicator for each note, and you can have one of several colors to indicate whatever color you want that color to indicate.  Logos changed several colors to yellow simply because there is not an exact match in L4.

Therefore, based on how Logos has handled our user data in the upgrade to L4 from L3, I do not trust them with my data.

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:20 PM

tom collinge:
What gets under my skin is how they have handled is notes.  I have a lot of tables in my L3 notes, and only some of them are imported.  There is a post by a Logos employee about this, and this was done by design.  No images are imported (again by design).  What tops the list is that they change my data.  That is correct, they changed my data.  You can set a flag indicator for each note, and you can have one of several colors to indicate whatever color you want that color to indicate.  Logos changed several colors to yellow simply because there is not an exact match in L4.

I agree with your assessment but not your conclusion. In any software a truly new version has conversion problems and must make backward compatibility decisions. I think the decision not to try to convert collections or preferences was the appropriate one. The automated conversion would have given results so unlike what works best in L4 it would have been a drag on learning to use L4 effectively.  I think the design of L4 notes which caused the conversion was a big enough mistake Logos will know never to repeat it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:31 PM

Rosie Perera:

The biggest benefit I can see to having the Notes in Logos instead of in Word is the automatic link back to the place in the resource where the Note was inserted, and the ability to click the Note flag in the resource to jump to the Note. Yes, you can do the former if you keep your Notes in Word, but it's slightly more work. Notes are still pretty slow in Logos but they're much better on my new faster machine. I'm looking forward to them becoming more and more usable. But I decided I needed to really start using them if I wanted to have a voice in asking for improvements.

That is precisely why I use notes.  I link EVERYTHING.  I have commentary notes for each chapter of Revelation with a number of notes linked to my note files and every reference which I use to support my understanding of the text linked to the source of the reference (such as the Baal Epic from Ugarit or Jubilees in the pseudepigrapha).  I also have translation notes for each chapter with syntax and lexicographical notes.  I wouldn't want to use an outside product for that since it simply wouldn't be convenient (though formatting would be better).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 12:14 AM

MJ. Smith:
I think the design of L4 notes which caused the conversion was a big enough mistake Logos will know never to repeat it.
I truly hope so, but I am not holding my breath. 

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS