Charismatic Commentary on Acts?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 214
Dan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:02 PM

Does anyone know if Logos has any commentaries on Acts written from a Charismatic or Pentecostal perspective?

I've searched for commentaries on Acts at Logos.com but couldn't find anything other than the one from the Berean School of the Bible, but it's not really a commentary.

Does anyone have any good ideas or suggestions?

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 3:38 PM

Not to my knowledge.  I don't even know of any in paper.  Do you?  There is a fairly new commentary series started, from a Charismatic perspective, but there are only a few volumes available and certainly not available in Logos and the name of it escapes me at the moment.  You might read this thread on this subject.

commentaries - Logos Bible Software Forums

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:21 PM

I would probably go for this one in a heartbeat if it were on Logos (Hint Hint Hint)

Acts: A Logion Press Commentary Stanley M. Horton

Horton is a most highly regarded Pentecostal Bible scholar in the Assemblies of God.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 20
Robert Holmes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:26 PM

Agree, agree, and agree again - always enjoy his work - commentary, writing

Robert

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:40 PM

you've got my vote. i would love to see more Pentecostal/Charismatic resources in Logos. Especially the works of Smith Wigglesworth.Yes

Posts 214
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 9:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I purchased Horton's commentary for another Bible software program—because they are the only one who carry his commentaries.

Thomas Nelson is publishing a series of commentaries called the "Spirit-Filled Life New Testament Commentary Series" edited by Jack Hayford and David Seemuth but they are taking forever to get them done. And there's not one on Acts yet. I would love to have these in Logos!

There is also a Pentecostal Commentary series on Amazon, but I have no idea how good they are. Also, there is a Journal of Pentecostal Theology (not a commentary), but I don't know much about that either.

The Spirit-Filled Life Bible (by Hayford and available in Logos) is good and there is also the Full Life Bible. Both of these are Study Bibles.

Any other ideas would be helpful!!

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 9:52 PM

FWIW I always want to know the text without any theological tint first, and I believe that FF Bruce's two commentaries on Acts are still pride of place. NICNT is more accessible, but his commentary on the Greek is a classic. 

It's been suggested, and I have begun to agree, that Acts is one of those books that bears regular reading. Like monthly. What would the church look like today if every pastor and other church leader had committed to doing so over the last few hundred years?  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 10:28 PM

Dan Giese:

Does anyone know if Logos has any commentaries on Acts written from a Charismatic or Pentecostal perspective?

I've searched for commentaries on Acts at Logos.com but couldn't find anything other than the one from the Berean School of the Bible, but it's not really a commentary.

Dan, this thread might be of interest to you.

Bohuslav

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 1:17 AM

Dan Giese:

There are very few commentaries on Acts written from a charismatic perspective, either in print or in Logos. The only one I know of is that by French L. Arrington (Hendrickson, 1988). In Logos I have 47 volumes of commentaries on Acts, and none are from a charismatic perspective.

Within Logos, Lloyd-Jones' sermons on Acts pre-date the charismatic movement, but many modern charismatics respect Lloyd-Jones, and he emphasised more than most the need for the Spirit to be at work (and indeed for Spirit Baptism). They're in Logos.

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 1:21 AM

Dan Giese:
Any other ideas would be helpful!!

There's a number of academic works in Logos on Luke-Acts from an Pentecostal or Charismatic Perspective:

• Community-Forming Power: The Socio-Ethical Role of the Spirit in Luke-Acts
  • A Dynamic Reading of the Holy Spirit in Luke-Acts
  • Empowered for Witness: The Spirit in Luke-Acts
  • Spirit and Kingdom in the Writings of Luke and Paul: An Attempt to Reconcile these Concepts

These are academic works though, not commentaries.

Posts 56
John T Reagan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 9:40 AM

I asked Logos that question a few years ago, thinking they were looking down on us.  (I grew up during the early Charismatic Renewal and the persecution we received then from the rest of Christendom during that period has made me over quick to assume hostility.)  Turns out that there simply aren't a lot of scholarly materials out there.  The early Pentecostal movement tended to view Biblical "scholarship" as less than "spiritual" and so not much was developed.  That has changed, but there just aren't that many resources available and not all are available for publication in Logos.  Logos has been trying to address the problem, but I am also frustrated from the lack of Spirit-filled oriented materials.  Search some more.  I know Logos published the works of an Assembly of God minister a couple of years ago. 

You are welcome to read my own commentary on Acts.  I only have comments published through Chapter 14, but it might help.  (I'm in the process of converting years of notes into Logos format and that's how far I've gotten.)  Go to Faithlife.com and join the Reagan Ramblings group.  You should be able to access a documents tab and find my comments on Acts.  I'll make sure it's up to date later today.  Please keep in mind that some of these notes are still in rough draft form -- and when I say rough, I mean rough.  I usually dictate my notes and edit them later and the dictation doesn't always come out right. 

Let me know what you think!

Posts 3036
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 10:04 AM

Would you consider Peter Wagner's commentaries on Acts as charismatic?

mm.

mm.

Posts 186
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 10:31 AM

The Logion Press Volume on Acts is now available in this bundle.

https://www.logos.com/product/15704/pentecostal-collection

These volumes are from The Gospel Publishing House. The Publishing are arm for the Assemblies of God.

Posts 56
John T Reagan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 12:17 PM

@Milkman:   Wagner is an enigma to me.  On one hand he affirms, in ways similar to what we would say in the charismatic movement, the need for the power of the Holy Spirit working in our lives.  On the other hand he denies the charismatic expressions, especially the gift of tongues.  At least that's my impression.  Because of that halfway "waffling" I don't usually pay any attention to him. 

I believe he is part of the EV Free denomination, am I correct?  The EV Free church strongly opposes the charismatic expressions and I assume Wagner follows his denomination on that.

Posts 28
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 12:27 PM

Craig Keener is charismatic. 

I have not used this commentary but I imagine it will reflect that aspect of his convictions.

vol 3. and 4. are available too.

https://www.logos.com/product/32500/acts-an-exegetical-commentary 

Posts 56
John T Reagan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 12:55 PM

David Mitchell:

Craig Keener is charismatic. 

I have not used this commentary but I imagine it will reflect that aspect of his convictions.

vol 3. and 4. are available too.

https://www.logos.com/product/32500/acts-an-exegetical-commentary 

I just put it in my wish list.  Thanks!

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 12:57 PM

I think Wagner was charismatic (he passed away recently) because he brought John Wimber to Fuller. It might have been for other reasons, but the folks Wagner associated with were certainly more towards a broader view of the gifts.

Since Acts is more narrative, it pays careful attention to avoid under or over emphasizing. It's as much the Acts of the Holy Spirit as it is the Apostles.

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 1:12 PM

Definitely SMITH WIGGLESWORTH! I would buy all of  his teachings if they were in LOGOS!

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 6
Michael Lawrence | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 4:05 PM

Although not a commentary, both of Stronstad's book (for me) are indispensable. One is available on Logos:

https://www.logos.com/product/39671/the-charismatic-theology-of-st-luke-trajectories-from-the-old-testament-to-luke-acts

The other (not available) on Logos is titled Pentecostal Experiences and Hermeneutics.

Arrington and Stronstad's one volume NT commentary is Life in the Spirit New Testament Commentary.

Ditto on Keener's commentary (reference to above comment). I'm still working through it.

The Logos Free Book of the Month a couple of months back, Colin J. Hemer is a valuable background resource.

https://www.logos.com/product/49615/the-book-of-acts-in-the-setting-of-hellenistic-history

Check out People of the Spirit: Exploring Luke's View of the Church

https://www.logos.com/product/20515/people-of-the-spirit-exploring-lukes-view-of-the-church

Changes in Pentecostal hermeneutics in the last fifteen years makes it very difficult to find an up-to-date Pentecostal commentary on Acts.

Posts 29
Otis Gouty | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 18 2017 8:25 PM

The "Complete Biblical Library Commentary" includes all books and was written by staff at the Assemblies of God Seminary. It has been out of publication for a number of years, but I tracked it down finding it was available through Wordsearch. I would very much like to have it available from Logos.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS