Transferring from Windows to Mac

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 1 2011 6:27 AM

When transferring to a new windows machine, I simply copied the l4 folder to the new computer instead of downloading.

I am now purchasing a MacBook Air and I wonder whether I can copy the files across from my windows machine or will that cause problems?

Posts 986
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 7:36 AM

Do you mean the files containing your resources or the entire L4 application and its folders?  It won't be possible to transfer the application, as the Mac version is a completely different build and make-up to the Windows version.  You would need to download that from logos.com (probably in your account area), or here.  

As for the resource files, I'm not sure whether that would work or not, although this other thread seems to suggest that you can.

Enjoy the Air!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:34 AM

The resource files would be the same, a developer would need to comment if the various databases (indexes etc) would be the same; they probably are but I'm uncertain enough to recommend against it. I would back up the books and download the rest. See: http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_Multiple_Macs for the description of the procedure you would use. 

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:54 AM

Sean McIntyre:
When transferring to a new windows machine, I simply copied the l4 folder to the new computer instead of downloading.

I am now purchasing a MacBook Air and I wonder whether I can copy the files across from my windows machine or will that cause problems?

That way lies madness. Enough of the code is shared that most things would probably work, but it's a completely untested/unsupported scenario.

You can transfer the resource files to a folder on your Mac (but don't put them in Application Support/Logos4) and discover them using the "scan" command. However, you'll need to let Logos 4 download the rest of your data from our servers.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:13 AM

The only way I would consider transferring files  advisable would be with Boot Camp Parallels or VMWare to an L4 install on your Mac. Just doesn't make sense for L4M.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:43 AM

David Mitchell:

Sean McIntyre:

That way lies madness. Enough of the code is shared that most things would probably work, but it's a completely untested/unsupported scenario.

You can transfer the resource files to a folder on your Mac (but don't put them in Application Support/Logos4) and discover them using the "scan" command. However, you'll need to let Logos 4 download the rest of your data from our servers.

Concur with madness.  Inside Logos 4 folder on PC are 6 folders, 2 of which are not insides Logos 4 folder on Mac.  Likewise Mac Logos 4 folder includes a folder not on PC.  Also relative file paths on PC use "/" while Mac uses "\" - slashes in opposite directions (may be in some database columns)

Wiki Copy Logos 4 Resources to Mac OS X section includes:

Note: username is your login name.

• Shared folder needs to be different than /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Logos4... because scan command in step 6 copies resource files within specified path (including subfolders) to /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/random/ResourceManager/Resources along with updating corresponding Logos 4 database files.

Also would suggest installing Logos 4.2a RC 1 on Mac => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30236.aspx along with purchasing 4 GB RAM in MacBook Air - cannot be upgraded later (surface mounted on motherboard).

Michael Ballai:

The only way I would consider transferring files  advisable would be with Boot Camp Parallels or VMWare to an L4 install on your Mac. Just doesn't make sense for L4M.

Logos 4 Mac overview has Need Logos 4 PC feature. section (e.g. Parallels and VirtualBox are viable alternatives to VMWare Fusion)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 9:12 PM

David Mitchell:

Sean McIntyre:

All I want to do is to avoid the pain of downloading my entire library. I live in East Africa and last time I downloaded the base package it  took 7 days of 24 hour connectivity. I dont need to transfer everything, just the library. Which files should be transferred and how do I use the scan command?

I am assuming that I would copy accross the entire contents of the  ResourcesManager/Resources folder? That would save me quite a few GB

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 9:27 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

David Mitchell:

Sean McIntyre:

Concur with madness.  Inside Logos 4 folder on PC are 6 folders, 2 of which are not insides Logos 4 folder on Mac.  Likewise Mac Logos 4 folder includes a folder not on PC.  Also relative file paths on PC use "/" while Mac uses "\" - slashes in opposite directions (may be in some database columns)

Wiki Copy Logos 4 Resources to Mac OS X section includes:

Note: username is your login name.

• Shared folder needs to be different than /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Logos4... because scan command in step 6 copies resource files within specified path (including subfolders) to /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/random/ResourceManager/Resources along with updating corresponding Logos 4 database files.

Also would suggest installing Logos 4.2a RC 1 on Mac => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30236.aspx along with purchasing 4 GB RAM in MacBook Air - cannot be upgraded later (surface mounted on motherboard).

Michael Ballai:

Logos 4 Mac overview has Need Logos 4 PC feature. section (e.g. Parallels and VirtualBox are viable alternatives to VMWare Fusion)

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks, I have ordered with the 4GB upgrade but I did not bother with the higher processor as there is so little difference and I will get marginally better battery life with the 1.4GHZ. As I am using Logos on a Toshiba T110  at the moment, I am sure that anything will be an improvement!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 9:32 PM

Sean McIntyre:
I am assuming that I would copy accross the entire contents of the  ResourcesManager/Resources folder? That would save me quite a few GB

Yes, step 1b of Copy Logos 4 Resources to Mac OS X section includes rest of windows path to Resources folder - could copy folder to your Mac desktop.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 281
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 9:56 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Sean McIntyre:

Yes, step 1b of Copy Logos 4 Resources to Mac OS X section includes rest of windows path to Resources folder - could copy folder to your Mac desktop.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks a lot, I am now good to go. Just waiting for my MacBook Air to arrive which has been six weeks so far but that's Africa - not only the downloads that are slow!

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:58 PM

I just added a MacBook Air 1.86mhz with 4 GB memory and 128GB SSD to my collection.  It is the coolest thing ever... 

However, it is not nearly as fast as my PC.  I also have an 8 core Mac and it does not compete with the PC in speed.  This is more of platform thing then anything else.

I CAN'T WAIT TILL THE CODE IS OPTIMIZED FOR MAC!!!!!!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:19 PM

Michael James:
However, it is not nearly as fast as my PC.  I also have an 8 core Mac and it does not compete with the PC in speed.  This is more of platform thing then anything else.

Logos 4.2a "Gold" released today => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30365.aspx along with more features for Mac has some noticeable performance improvements.

After installing Logos 4.2a and letting reindex complete, if encounter performance pain(s), suggest writing new post with how to reproduce pain so adventurous users and Logos developers can replicate and discuss.  Logos has committed to improving Logos 4 performance.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS