I've gotten Gottingen...now what?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 5 2011 10:40 PM

So I dropped 3 large on this set...

My question is...how do I use it easily and effectively?

I have opened and linked my most frequently used bibles in L4 (see below). I can easily click the tab for whichever resource I wish to peruse.

But since this G-LXX set is broken up by books, how do I get into these LXX resources where and when I want to?

Posts 467
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2011 10:54 PM

set up a workspace something like this with your hebrew and or english linked to Göttingen. when you change books in the hebrew or english the Göttingen will automatically change books too.

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 6 2011 9:12 PM

David ... did you get the answer you were looking for?

For background, the Gottingen for the LXX is the equivalent to UBS4/NA27 for the NT from a conceptual point of view. In other words, there's a host of LXX versions which Gottingen, as a major project, has attempted to resolve to an 'original' (of course, such a project has its detractors, but Gottingen is one of the best).

With the above in mind,  Gottingen is normally used in two ways. The literal greek text is typically compared against the hebrew, with the idea of better identifying either the meaning of the hebrew, or potentially an older text. And the apparatus is reviewed to see if the LXX text bounced around, and if so which words/phrases.

On my OT layout-grouping, I let the apparatus follow along the hebrew. Just the shear size of the apparatus warns me that there's some sort of issue. I don't often use the literal greek, since I like the Logos greek/hebrew reverse interlinear and the LXX-interlinear.

If you're in the NT, the apostles frequently quoted from the LXX, and where there's some dissonance, again the Gottingen apparatus is interesting, to surmise their approximate source.

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:21 PM

David Paul:

So I dropped 3 large on this set...

My question is...how do I use it easily and effectively?

Hi, David,

This reply is a year and a half later, but I've just written part 1 of a primer on how to use and understand the Göttingen Septuagint. It's not specific to Logos (yet--I'll review that in the future), but hopefully it may be of some help.

How to Read and Understand the Göttingen Septuagint: A Short Primer, part 1

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:27 PM

Very nice, Abram! Thank you.

I guess the Logos version doesn't have #2 in your primer-1 example. But nice work; looking forward to Primer #2.

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 3:22 AM

Thanks, DMB!

You are correct--that list of sources is not in Logos, unfortunately. A question was raised about it a while back in the forums, but I don't recall ever seeing an answer on whether or not users could expect to see it in Logos.  I don't have Göttingen in Accordance, but from a screen shot of their module, see that the list of sources is in theirs.

So maybe it already exists in digitized form (unless Accordance did it themselves), and it's easy enough for Logos to add?  Would be a nice addition, if so....

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 1:38 AM

To go with my previous post, and in a further effort to answer the "now what?" question...

How to Read and Understand the Göttingen Septuagint: A Short Primer, part 2 (Apparatus)

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 7:42 PM

Here is my review of Göttingen in Logos.

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:56 AM

Abram K-J:

Great review and also a nice how-to on setting this up for study (provided one has gotten it, which unfortunately I don't) !

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 5:56 AM

Thanks, NB! I didn't put this in my review, but it's something like half-price with the academic discount, if you happen to have that. That's still a lot of dough, though! Perhaps Logos might consider a sale for International Septuagint Day Friday?

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 6:40 AM

Abram K-J:

What an excellent review. Thanks for passing this on.

Wow, I didn't even know that there was an "International Septuagint Day". What do you do to celebrate that?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 6:49 AM

Thank you, Bruce.

I'm not sure... here's the link from the IOSCS (International Organization of Septuagint and Cognate Studies). For me, posting the review of Göttingen was one way to celebrate. I'm also part of a reading group that will read a chapter of Greek Isaiah that day.

I dunno... maybe just take the day as a chance to pause and thank God for his Word and truth revealed to us through these sacred texts, which we have unprecedented access to? I'll do at least that much.

I was trying to convince my wife to take me out for dinner that night, but I'm not sure that will happen. :)

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:31 AM

In Abram's Part 2, he seems to hint at the 'real' festivities on International Septuagint Day:

'But if good coffee, fine wine, or well-aged cheese requires work on the part of the one taking it in, the Göttingen LXX .... '

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:45 AM

Hahaha... I'll leave that one alone. I've seen how quickly discussion on these forums can turn theological and lively.  :)

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2013 9:46 AM

1 hour ago on Twitter: In celebration of International Septuagint Day, save 47% on Göttingen Septuagint.

http://lgs.to/14G4MEf

Coupon code: LXXDay2013

Abram K-J:
Perhaps Logos might consider a sale for International Septuagint Day Friday?

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:06 AM

Unix living in celibacy:

1 hour ago on Twitter: In celebration of International Septuagint Day, save 47% on Göttingen Septuagint.

http://lgs.to/14G4MEf

Coupon code: LXXDay2013

Abram K-J:
Perhaps Logos might consider a sale for International Septuagint Day Friday?

That is so tempting but it is still a lot of money. I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost. Maybe someone could convince me that it is.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:31 AM

The simple answer would normally be 'It's the Bible for the early church'. I'm fascinated that even Jesus used it (as quoted by his disciples).

More than most people on the forum, I think the LXX is far more important than the hebrew simply because it's the basis for the early thinking, convincing and excitement.  And most interestingly, they didn't seem to get too wound up with the differences with the MT.

The Gottingen itself IS the critical edition. That means if you're trying to track down phrasing, it's going to be the easiest source. Absent that, buy a plane ticket to the various libraries.

On the negative-ish side, you'll notice it doesn't have all the books of the OT (if I remember right, Joshua/Judges is a bouncy set and not yet included); on the positive-ish side it does include much of the apocrypha, which again seems to have influenced some of the NT writers.

It really depends on what you wish to pursue (and of course it shows up in the BWS analyses).

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:23 PM

DMB:

The simple answer would normally be 'It's the Bible for the early church'. I'm fascinated that even Jesus used it (as quoted by his disciples).

More than most people on the forum, I think the LXX is far more important than the hebrew simply because it's the basis for the early thinking, convincing and excitement.  And most interestingly, they didn't seem to get too wound up with the differences with the MT.

The Gottingen itself IS the critical edition. That means if you're trying to track down phrasing, it's going to be the easiest source. Absent that, buy a plane ticket to the various libraries.

On the negative-ish side, you'll notice it doesn't have all the books of the OT (if I remember right, Joshua/Judges is a bouncy set and not yet included); on the positive-ish side it does include much of the apocrypha, which again seems to have influenced some of the NT writers.

It really depends on what you wish to pursue (and of course it shows up in the BWS analyses).

I think the LXX is the cutting edge of the famine of the word...

Posts 10043
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:02 AM

Yep. It's really amazing that the folks that chatted directly with the Trinity used the wrong Bible, and happily had the Trinity participant quoting the wrong Bible too.  Even more mysterious was the late 1st century disinterest in even quoting the Bible ('in the ballpark or slightly outside' being good enough). And then most curious, not bothering to quote the individual that had made a side-trip to planet earth and got Himself executed for their benefit.  No one seemed to quote Him until centuries later.

Cutting edge stuff those LXX exegetes.

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:43 AM

Stupid question but how do you pronounce Septuagint ?

Thanks

P A

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS