Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2011 3:49 PM

Microsoft will be releasing IE9 on March 14th: http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2011/03/09/a-more-beautiful-web-launches-on-march-14th.aspx

The RTM version is likely to have some bugs that will break LDLS 3.0g; to prevent the conflict, see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30926.aspx.

[ Old Information Below ]

Microsoft will be distributing IE9 via Windows Update; if you want to prevent it being installed automatically, you can open/create the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\9.0" registry key, then create a DWORD value named "DoNotAllowIE90" with the value 1.

We have provided a .reg file that can set this value automatically: http://www.logos.com/media/update/BlockIE9.zip

Posts 726
Theolobias | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 3:55 PM

Thanks for letting us know, Bradley! Just out of curiosity: is it really IE9 having bugs or is it some code in LDLS 3.0g that needs to be fixed?

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.5GHz, 2.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon XPress 1250 | theolobias.de

Posts 726
Theolobias | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 4:22 PM

Solved - just saw your entry here. Thanks!

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.5GHz, 2.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon XPress 1250 | theolobias.de

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 4:36 PM

So, when are y'all going to get L3 working with IE9.  Who knows when Microsoft with correct these bugs in IE9.

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee

LDLS3 would require significant changes to work with the (fairly major) incompatibilities Microsoft introduced in the Release Candidate of IE9. (There were no problems with IE9 during its beta, but they appear to have made a major breaking change in the RC, which was rather surprising to us.)

Microsoft hasn't given any feedback on our issues yet, but as best as I can tell, one of the bugs that's affecting LDLS3 is also breaking Netflix in Windows Media Center in Windows 7. This seems like something they would be interested in fixing, but without any definite response from them on the bug report, it's hard to know if they're even aware of the issue, or if it was considered serious enough to be fixed between RC and release. Right now, we're waiting for a resolution to the bug (be it "fixed" or "won't fix") before making a final decision on how to proceed.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:32 AM

Bradley Grainger:

LDLS3 would require significant changes to work with the (fairly major) incompatibilities Microsoft introduced in the Release Candidate of IE9. (There were no problems with IE9 during its beta, but they appear to have made a major breaking change in the RC, which was rather surprising to us.)

Microsoft hasn't given any feedback on our issues yet, but as best as I can tell, one of the bugs that's affecting LDLS3 is also breaking Netflix in Windows Media Center in Windows 7. This seems like something they would be interested in fixing, but without any definite response from them on the bug report, it's hard to know if they're even aware of the issue, or if it was considered serious enough to be fixed between RC and release. Right now, we're waiting for a resolution to the bug (be it "fixed" or "won't fix") before making a final decision on how to proceed.

I have been told that I am too straight to the point at times, and this could be one of them.

As a person who uses L3 daily, I see that Logos is going back on their word.  Y'all said that we will be able to run L3 because L4 is not for everyone.  L4 is not for me because it is way tooooooooooo slow on my computer has doubled the min. requirements.

NOTE: this is not the first time Logos has said something that they will do and has done something is in the complete opposite direction!

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:19 AM

With all deference Tom, Bradley didn't say they wouldn't fix it.  

Bradley Grainger:
 Right now, we're waiting for a resolution to the bug (be it "fixed" or "won't fix") before making a final decision on how to proceed.

It may not be how you read it, but I read that: "If microsoft is going to fix it, we'll let them and everything will be fine, but if microsoft isn't going to fix it, we'll determine the course of action - such as working on coding the fix."  

Imagine going through dozens and dozens of man hours coding a fix for the RC fix and discovering that  MS has fixed it in the Final release.  That's just wasted time.  It makes sense to wait and see.

I'm an optimist though, so perhaps that flavors my opinion.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:31 AM

Looks like this is now relatively a non-issue tom, see Bradley's post here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30926.aspx if you haven't already.

Posts 787
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:33 AM

>>one of the bugs that's affecting LDLS3 is also breaking Netflix in Windows Media Center in Windows 7. This seems like something they would be interested in fixing<<

Au contraire, mon frere. 

Are you aware that NetFlix is a badwidth hog on the Internet? I have seen many complaints about Internet problems since NetFlix began streaming video.

Historical note: There was a time when the slogan at Microsoft went something like, "If Lotus still runs, then [the future version of Windows] is not done." So I would not be surprised if Microsoft were protecting their own interests by interfering with NetFlix.

Jack

Posts 8012
LogosEmployee

See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30926.aspx for how to fix this problem.

Posts 787
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:36 AM

Oops! I intended this reply to go just below Bradley Grainger's post.

Sorry about the placement, Kevin.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 3:50 PM

Bradley Grainger:

See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30926.aspx for how to fix this problem.

Thanks for the quick patch for this issue.

I am sorry if I sounded a little harsh in the above post, but I cannot live without L3, and it came across to me that L3 was not going to work for a period of time.

Posts 2403
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 4:24 AM

From this and an another thread on the subject - can we assume that Logos 3 uses Internet Explorer as a display driver?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 12 2011 4:38 AM

David Ames:

From this and an another thread on the subject - can we assume that Logos 3 uses Internet Explorer as a display driver?

L3 uses IE's COM interface to be more specific.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS