best hard disk drive for use with Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:33 AM

Can I get some fellow mac users to give some hardware advice?

I had thought of getting a whole new laptop to improve my L4 performance, but then thought of just replacing the HDD in my current laptop.

I'm wondering what drives other users would recommend.  Also should I go for a complete SSD or just a hybrid SSD?  I would like at least 300GB of space.

Here are the configurations of my laptop

Macbook 2,1

2GHZ Intel Core2Duo

L2 Cache: 4mb

Memory: 2gb

I couldn't find in the system profiler the speed of my current HDD, but it is a 300gb Western Digital drive.

Also, I realize that this is not a Logos question, but I have another issue I would like advice on.  I have an external 1TB HDD that has a USB 2.0 connector and an eSATA  connector.  I want to use my macbook to take video from my camcorder directly to the external HDD.  Is it possible to get a cable that connects eSATA with the firewire port on my macbook?  Also, can I put a splitter on the firewire port so that both the camera and the HDD are connected at the same time and then run video from the camcorder directly to the external HDD?

Bryan

Theological Reflection with Practical Application

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 1323
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:39 PM

I have a 80 gb ssd. i upgraded from a 5400 rpm. I see a difference, but not like I expected. The latest update helped most I think.

To get a 300gb ssd you will need to get another mortgage though.... I suggest either a small ssd with an external backup drive or a hybrid....

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:57 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
i upgraded from a 5400 rpm.

Mike, just curious.  What are the other configurations on your Macbook?  Is it a Pro or a plain macbook?  How much RAM?  which processor?  Does L4 perform well?

Bryan

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 4:22 PM

bryan jay:
Also, I realize that this is not a Logos question, but I have another issue I would like advice on.  I have an external 1TB HDD that has a USB 2.0 connector and an eSATA  connector.  I want to use my macbook to take video from my camcorder directly to the external HDD.  Is it possible to get a cable that connects eSATA with the firewire port on my macbook?  Also, can I put a splitter on the firewire port so that both the camera and the HDD are connected at the same time and then run video from the camcorder directly to the external HDD?

Firewire and eSata are not compatible so no cable exists.  Firewall is daisy chain-able so one camera can feed multiple computers simultaneously.  External hard drives are available with firewire ports - tend to cost more.

Mac Book Pro has an express card slot that can be used for eSata => http://macperformanceguide.com/Reviews-eSATA-MBPCore_i7.html

New Mac Book Pro's (2011 models) have a faster ThunderBolt port that can be used for display and hard drives => http://www.thunderbolt-hard-drive.com/ - yet Apple default hard drive is 5400 RPM (after upgrading an older MacBook Pro to 7200 RPM drive, noticed system improvement).

Speculation: anticipate ThunderBolt to be included on more Mac models this year.  Buyer's Guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

bryan jay:
I had thought of getting a whole new laptop to improve my L4 performance, but then thought of just replacing the HDD in my current laptop.

Mac Sales offers Do It Yourself laptop drive upgrades => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/ - noticed prices range from $ 62.99 for 320 GB 7200 RPM drive to $ 1,529.99 for 480 GB SSD, including $ 519.99 for 240 GB SSD and $ 145.99 for 500 GB Hybrid 7200 RPM drive.

Observation: refurbished Mac Book Air (2010 model - 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) with 4 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD is $ 1,529 => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1323
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 5:38 PM

bryan jay:

Mike Tourangeau:
i upgraded from a 5400 rpm.

Mike, just curious.  What are the other configurations on your Macbook?  Is it a Pro or a plain macbook?  How much RAM?  which processor?  Does L4 perform well?

Bryan

Bryan,

I have a plain macbook, it is 3,1. with core 2 duo, 2ghz. I bought it used and upgraded it too 4gb of ram and most recently the ssd. I think the biggest weakness in mine is the video... it is integrated at 144mb. 

It runs L4 ok? I am happy with it. I have found a few things help. 1. I customize passage guides to my usage as well as the exegetical guide. 2. I turn off visual stuff in the settings. 3. Do not have too many note files open (checked in the resource) 4. I never use the home page, uncheck "show home page at startup." 

I would like to get the new mb pro with an ssd, but the family likes to eat Smile

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:50 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Firewire and eSata are not compatible

So, there is no way to hook up my HDD via eSata to my Macbook?  

New Mac Book Pro's (2011 models) have a faster ThunderBolt port

The problem I see with Thunderbolt is that, yes it's fast, but I'll have to buy new peripherals that utilize that standard.  I don't suppose there is an eSata to Thunderbolt solution?

Thanks Mike, and KS4J, for your input.  I'm starting to think that the Hybrid 7200 drive is the best option for my system.  Do you think that would be too much heat for my macbook?  Also this macbook was purchased in 2007.  At what point do you fellas feel a laptop is too old to keep upgrading with new peripherals?

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:37 PM

bryan jay:

Firewire and eSata are not compatible

So, there is no way to hook up my HDD via eSata to my Macbook?

Practically speed limited by hard ware ports on Mac Book so suggest using USB cable.

Technically feasible using $129 hub => http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/spyderhub.html

bryan jay:

New Mac Book Pro's (2011 models) have a faster ThunderBolt port

The problem I see with Thunderbolt is that, yes it's fast, but I'll have to buy new peripherals that utilize that standard.  I don't suppose there is an eSata to Thunderbolt solution?

Disk adapters, including eSata, planned for ThunderBolt => http://www.thunderbolt-adapter.com/lightpeak/hdd-converter.html

Observation: searching amazon for thunderbolt finds many HTC Thunderbolt phones and accessories.

bryan jay:
 Do you think that would be too much heat for my macbook?

Notebook coolers are relatively cheap ($ 10 to $ 20 for couple fans under notebook to assist with cooling seems worthwhile).

bryan jay:
Also this macbook was purchased in 2007.  At what point do you fellas feel a laptop is too old to keep upgrading with new peripherals?

Value vis performance (along with budget $ to purchase replacement).  My wife still enjoys her 20" iMac (2007 model) with her Logos 4 library.

PowerMax offers trade-in program => http://www.powermax.com/everything_else/trade_in/ 

plus used Mac's for sale => http://www.powermax.com/preowned_macs

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:34 PM

Apple default hard drive is 5400 RPM (after upgrading an older MacBook Pro to 7200 RPM drive, noticed system improvement)

KS4J, How much improvement do you notice?

Mac Sales offers Do It Yourself laptop drive upgrades => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA/DIY/ - noticed prices range from $ 62.99 for 320 GB 7200 RPM drive

I like this site! Too bad we don't have these guys here in New Zealand.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 8
Benjamin Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:59 PM

I bought the base 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro and I wasn't very happy with Logos' performance so I bought an SSD and it greatly improved the speed.  A SSD is probably one of the best performance per dollar computer upgrades.  Here's a video I made comparing various programs (including Logos) running on Apple's stock Hitachi 320GB 5400 RPM drive vs a 128GB Kingston SSDNow V+.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN9P9880IqU

Keep in mind, if you buy a solid state drive for a Mac it needs to have onboard garbage collection (since OSX does not support TRIM as of 10.6.6).

I found mine for $160 at Costco, I perused deal websites (such as fatwallet and techbargains) until I saw a decent SSD for a good price.

Update: I just wanted to mention that for some brands 128GB SSDs outperform 64GB SSDs because of more NAND channels available.  I'm not sure if this is also the case for 128 vs 256 or larger drives or if it's true for all brands.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 12:02 AM

Aaron Knotts:

Apple default hard drive is 5400 RPM (after upgrading an older MacBook Pro to 7200 RPM drive, noticed system improvement)

KS4J, How much improvement do you notice?

As human beings, we typically need speed 11 % or more faster to be noticeably on computers.  At the time of the upgrade, my primary concern was making sure new hard drive worked along with copying all applications and documents along with fixing an address book issue.  After upgrade done (and issue fixed), I noticed computer was faster in several applications before returning MacBook Pro to its owner.  In some follow-up calls, owner continued to be pleased by noticeably faster response.  A 7200 RPM drive spins 33 % faster than a 5400 RPM drive (so best case improvement is 33 % faster).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:51 PM

Benjamin Bryan:
 Here's a video I made comparing various programs (including Logos) running on Apple's stock Hitachi 320GB 5400 RPM drive vs a 128GB Kingston SSDNow V+.

Benjamin, now I am salivating :)  Too bad we don't have a Costco in NZ, a good reason to visit the US 
(enjoyed listening to your choice of soundtrack too - TSO?) 

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:54 PM

...owner continued to be pleased by noticeably faster response.  A 7200 RPM drive spins 33 % faster than a 5400 RPM drive (so best case improvement is 33 % faster).

KS4J, that is certainly a cost effective potential performance increase. Thanks.

Posts 8
Benjamin Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 10:48 PM

Aaron Knotts:

Benjamin, now I am salivating :)  Too bad we don't have a Costco in NZ, a good reason to visit the US 
(enjoyed listening to your choice of soundtrack too - TSO?) 

Glad you enjoyed, Aaron.  I was surprised at the speed difference!  But 5400 rpm is pretty slow...

(Yep, Carmina Burana and Tracers, both from TSO's Night Castle album)

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:20 AM

Benjamin Bryan:
Glad you enjoyed, Aaron.  I was surprised at the speed difference!  But 5400 rpm is pretty slow...

Funny how the initials SSD have a direct connection to something I now "need". Indifferent

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS