Reading Plan for Francis Schaeffer

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011 3:24 AM

Hi all,

I went to the forum search button first....then I went to the wiki (Reading Plan Basics) but I am still stuck.
Having tried to create a reading plan, I have managed to learn how to delete them now too. I am wanting to create a reading plan for just one book (at this stage) out of "The Complete Works of Francis Schaeffer" 

The wiki showed that I could enter a page range, and clearly displayed how to find out this info. It seems to me that the page info is not available in this selection.  

How do I define the Book I want to read? (Volume Three, Book One, No Little People)
thank you Indifferent 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 3:50 AM

Aaron Knotts:
How do I define the Book I want to read? (Volume Three, Book One, No Little People)

Idea Generate reading plan for Volume 3 - then only read desired sections.

Observation: with a different book that has 3 sections (and no page numbers), did not have option to specify page range.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:49 AM

Aaron Knotts:

In Reading Plan (Basics) wiki page see the article Reading specific parts of a non-Bible which shows using volume numbers.
e.g. examples: v 1, pg 195 – 254 or v 1, pg 189-345 or v 1, pg 195 – v 2, pg 117 (your book will need to be Indexed by Volume as well as Page number)

I do not have your book, so i can not give you an exact example.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 6:55 PM

Thank you both for your reply. The wiki had been my second port of call before posting this thread...I am hoping someone who has the book/s has tried this and can advise what worked.

I can't seem to convince it to let me set a volume even when I did follow the instructions as per the wiki. I have tried Volume 3, v3, v 3 - I expect the lack of page numbering has something to do with this?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 1:12 AM

Since All Passages appears in reading plan, appears resource has page numbering - wonder about opening resource and clicking 3 circles for visual filters (looking for Show Page Numbers)

Idea: could search heading text and large text in "The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer" for "No Little People", which should show starting page number.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:30 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
wonder about opening resource and clicking 3 circles for visual filters (looking for Show Page Numbers)

no joy there with "Show Page numbers"

I wasn't sure what you meant by "Idea: could search heading text and large text in "The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer" would you mind explaining a little further please?
Appreciate your help.

Aaron 

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:49 AM

Aaron Knotts:
I wasn't sure what you meant by "Idea: could search heading text and large text in "The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer" would you mind explaining a little further please?

That would be from the Search feature (the magnifying glass). However, since

Aaron Knotts:
no joy there with "Show Page numbers"

the resource is not indexed by page number, this will not work.

I cannot find a way to create a Reading Plan for a portion of this resource. It appears that no indices exist, so the Reading Plan is all or nothing.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 5:57 AM

Aaron, I also couldn't make a reading plan for Shaeffer's works.. so I used a layout and that is how I read books in the collection. I open up the book in the volume I want, make a note file for it.. open a dictionary, open highlighting, and then save it as a layout. When I load the layout, it comes up. I read the book, take notes, highlight, then when I'm done reading I save the layout for the next time. That being said if you use layouts as reading plans you will need to make your own range to read. I use a layout to make plans for resources that have no page numbers.

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 1:40 PM

Matthew Hamrick:
I used a layout and that is how I read books in the collection.

I am beginning to adopt this method for most of my reading. It is a little more involved, but I don't have those embarrassing "Behind" notices. Geeked

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:02 PM

Matthew, thanks for your reply. Would you mind posting a screenshot to show me how you have it laid out please? For the most part, I follow what you have said, although...I have not made use of the notes feature at all.....it confuses me Embarrassed (I have been MS indoctrinated for too long)

How often do you come across resources without numbering? (seems an odd thing not to have them in a digital media)

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:03 PM

Jack Caviness:
I am beginning to adopt this method for most of my reading. It is a little more involved, but I don't have those embarrassing "Behind" notices. Geeked

Zip it! my lips are sealed *wink*

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:14 PM

Aaron Knotts:
Matthew, thanks for your reply. Would you mind posting a screenshot to show me how you have it laid out please? For the most part, I follow what you have said, although...

Sure Aaron and you are welcome. I am currently not reading any Schaeffer, but I am going to read soon How Should We Then Live? Volumn 5 Book 2. So, I made a starting layout and saved it and called the layout How Should We Then Live?

I scrolled down to chapter 2 as if I read it and then when done reading, taking notes.. whatever.. left click the layout button to show your layouts.. scroll down to the layout you want save (whatever your working layout is called) right click it and then click Update to Current Snapshot.. it looks like this..

I hope this helps.. if you need anymore assistance just ask. I am a fan of layouts.

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:21 PM

Thanks again, you are a Star

I was on the right track, but now I need to commit some time to learning how to benefit from the notes part of Logos, which I have ignored up until now. Having read recently where it has been valued for the linking and search possibilities, I would like to explore using them.

thanks again
Aaron 

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 3:57 AM

Aaron Knotts:
I need to commit some time to learning how to benefit from the notes part of Logos, which I have ignored up until now.

Notes are workable in L4 Mac, but they lag far behind the Windows version at present. If I plan to do extensive note-taking, I usually fire up Parallels and take my notes in L4 Win which will then synch with L4 Mac. However, if you do not already own Parallels (or Fusion) and Windows, this is not a viable solution. Hopefully, the Mac version will catch up soon. The Mac Dev Team has been silent on progress in this area.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 5:18 AM

There are some note issues in L4 Aaron. If you are having a problem with the note system I recommended using something else. Sometimes I will use Word to take notes and later import them into my note system. My biggest complaint about L4 is the note system. I think Logos needs to start over and make a new note system for L4. You can see all the complaints in the forums about the notes. Here is a post where M.J. is taking an active role trying to help the note system.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30837/228726.aspx#228726

I may complain about the notes, but that is because I depend on them extensively. Resources I read I take notes on. I am an active college student and many times use those resources and my notes for academic papers. It was great in L3, but there are issues in L4.

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:00 AM

Jack Caviness:
 I usually fire up Parallels and take my notes in L4 Win which will then synch with L4 Mac

Jack, do you hence have L4 installed twice on the one machine?
I do have VMware Fusion, and had wondered about L4 under it, but thought it'd suffer a very slow and painful death Wink 

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:07 AM

Matthew Hamrick:
There are some note issues in L4 Aaron. If you are having a problem with the note system I recommended using something else. Sometimes I will use Word to take notes and later import them into my note system. \

Good suggestion thanks Matthew. I had begun note taking while reading on the iPad.....but miss having highlighting, so found I come back to the Mac (kinda painful, as I prefer reading on the iPad). I have therefore created a reading layout as you recommended (thanks for the pics).

Most of the reason I have avoided notes in L4, was my perusal of the forums...so I never really even gave it a chance. That said, when studying on paper, I like to 'jot' in the margins...I often underline and rule lines between linked info on the same page, mark up my own cross referencing, colour code, create lists, add reminders, write key words...etc etc. So far, I have not found a digital method that is equal to my paper based study. To my chagrin, I realise that this is half my battle with L4, and why I do not use it to its potential, and my benefit, but I am desperate to do so. I also wish I had another L4 user nearby who I could collaborate with.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:35 AM

Aaron Knotts:
I do have VMware Fusion, and had wondered about L4 under it, but thought it'd suffer a very slow and painful death Wink 

On a 27" iMac had 4 copies of Logos 4 installed (1 Mac and 3 PC); choose to rebuild indexes one at a time to avoid disk contention.  Also suggest using one Logos 4 configuration (with "Use Internet On") at a time due to sync every few minutes.  Editing same note file(s) in 2 (or more) configurations at same time with automatic syncing can be problematic: "slow and painful death Wink" (using Logos 4 PC to edit notes - sync to Logos servers - sync to Logos 4 Mac for reading works fine).

Logos_4_Mac has Need Logos 4 PC feature ? section that includes 3 virtualization options for Mac OS X along with links for configuration tips.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:41 AM

KS4J, I think I have a task for tomorrow now Big Smile

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 4:19 AM

Aaron Knotts:
Jack, do you hence have L4 installed twice on the one machine?

Yes, one copy of L4 Mac and one of L4 Win in Parallels. Compared with KS4J, however, I am a rank amateur.

I have been taking notes for my current studies in MacJournal—which someone on this forum recommended—so now I only fire up L4 Win to change items on the ribbon at the top of the L4 window.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS