Announcing Evangelical Exegetical Commentary Payment Plans

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:06 AM

Announcing Evangelical Exegetical Commentary Payment Plans

Let us know what you think of our special EEC payment plans.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:19 AM

Is WHOO HOO considered one word or two?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:41 AM

I've been in since the beginning at $699.95.

I see that if I opt out before March 31, and then back in again after March 31, the price goes up $50 to $749.95.

How long will that $749.95 price be good for? E.g., what if I opt out and decide in 3 years after some volumes have been released and commented on by users re: value/usefulness, etc., to buy the set? E.g., can I get it in 2015 for $749.95? I might be willing to pay an extra $50 just to be able see if it's something I'll want, rather than have to pay $700 or $750 now sight-unseen.

Also: If we see a preview volume before June 1, and decide - Nope, I don't need/want this - when is the last date to cancel one's purchase? IIRC, we were told we'd see a preview or preview volume before being charged for the set so we could better make up our minds.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:53 AM

Now this is getting scary....How long is "several years"....I am 66 years old, my wife does not know even how to turn on a computer....If I can't get all of it sooner than "several years" I think it would be better to cancel my order....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:57 AM

Chuck P.:

Now this is getting scary....How long is "several years"....I am 66 years old, my wife does not know even how to turn on a computer....If I can't get all of it sooner than "several years" I think it would be better to cancel my order....

Here's the currently published release dates

http://www.evangelicalexegeticalcommentary.com/volumes/

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:03 AM

Thanks Kevin,  I believe for me I will cancel my order and purchase individual volumes as they are released if they are not over priced too much.....

Chuck

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:05 AM

Chuck P.:

Thanks Kevin,  I believe for me I will cancel my order and purchase individual volumes as they are released if they are not over priced too much.....

I don't think they can be purchased as individual volumes, only as the complete set:

"The EEC is only available as a set. The commentaries are not available for individual purchase."

http://www.evangelicalexegeticalcommentary.com/preorder/

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:07 AM

"I don't think they can be purchased as individual volumes, only as the complete set. At least I thought that's what I read."

What that makes no sense to me....guess I am out if that's the case....

Chuck

Posts 82
Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:28 AM

Overall, I'm excited about the series and will buy it sometime...but here are some of my humble thoughts that come to mind....

1.  It would be nice to be able to see the first volume in June in it's completed form first and still be able to opt-in to a plan after it is released.

2.  Since the entire set won't be done until 2019, if I read things correctly, I think that we should have an option for an annual payment plan over 3 or 5 or whatever years without the $5 administrative fees. ie. 3 annual payments of $233.33 or 5 annual payments of $140 / year with no service charge.  There are only two volumes that will be released in 2011 and three in 2012, so in 2 years, we'll only have 5 of the 44 volumes.

4.  Cancellation / refund?  What's that policy going to be?  With the last release date of Oct 2017 (6.5 years from now) a lot can happen.

Dollar-wise, it seems that I have a choice: for a $50 savings ($750 over $700) invest now or wait and invest my dollars elsewhere until more than a few volumes are released.  Maybe if it were even cheaper (i.e. $499) and the difference were greater then I'd be more apt to put my dollars down early.

Again, I'm probably going to get the series sometime.  I like the commentators and know some of them, so it's definitely a recommendation and good investment.  Just my two cents on the payment plan details....hope this helps!

Confused

Posts 4
Terry Zeyen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:40 AM

I might like to try to purchase this set but the $5 fee per payment is to excessive if one wants to opt for a lot of payments (like the 5 year monthly plan for example).  One ends up paying 30% above offering price of the set -- that is EXCESSIVE.  This is all computerized and automated, there shouldn't be such a steep processing fee.  If the fee for opting for the long-term payment plan can be "significantly" reduced I think a lot more people might opt in, myself included.

Posts 88
David Housholder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:41 AM

It's difficult to consider purchasing blind when we've not seen any indication of what the volumes will be like. I agree that the first volume should be made available and after we have a chance to review that one then we can decide if it would be good to pay for the whole series.

Posts 39
Scott K | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:59 AM

Agreed.  Pulling the trigger on an untested commentary series, paying years in advance... I'll vote with my wallet and buy things I know are excellent resources (there are plenty of existing commentaries I'd love to have, and I can buy them piecemeal).  Kind of like cell phone and cable packages: it gives the power to the provider, not the consumer: you're locked in.  I love Logos, just not this marketing/sales strategy.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:13 AM

Well, I went with the best deal longest payment plan - i.e., 1 year of 12 pmnts @$58.33/ea. with no servicing fee. Smallest ding to my budget.

I figure I can still opt out before the first volume ships if the preview we were promised looks mediocre.

So... where is the preview? Geeked

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:16 AM

Buy now, have it all in 6 years, maybe?

"As for me and my house...", no thanks.

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:39 AM

I for one am quite surprised although I should not be with the cost of Logos itself yet this is reaching a new low for me as it is the classical "buying a pig in the poke".  There is ZERO chance that I will pay for a product like that and then expect it to be fully delivered in 6 years,  sight unseen.   Only God knows how long we have left, but even going past 2012 is quite a stretch for me seeing the conditions in the world so rapidly changing.

Posts 579
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 11:41 AM

Joe:
Dollar-wise, it seems that I have a choice: for a $50 savings ($750 over $700) invest now or wait and invest my dollars elsewhere until more than a few volumes are released. 

The way I understand it, both the $700 and $750 are pre-pub prices. Once the first volume is released, it's no longer in pre-pub status, and the price will go up substantially.  Can a Logos employee confirm this?

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:04 PM

That's a lot of money to commit to something that does not yet exist; hence, the quality is unknown.  Sorry, I cannot in good conscience sign up for this. 

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:16 PM

Joe:
2.  Since the entire set won't be done until 2019, if I read things correctly, I think that we should have an option for an annual payment plan over 3 or 5 or whatever years without the $5 administrative fees. ie. 3 annual payments of $233.33 or 5 annual payments of $140 / year with no service charge.  There are only two volumes that will be released in 2011 and three in 2012, so in 2 years, we'll only have 5 of the 44 volumes.
 At issue here is just the $5 charge which is only  meant to cover the administration of the plan - nothing more.
Eric Weiss:
So... where is the preview?
 My question precisely....

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 456
Pastor Roger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:18 PM

I would not consider this to be a wise purchase--some of the titles are six to eight years out.  But, I'm not adverse to Logos coming up with a creative marketing idea (You'll never know unless you try), It just isn't for me.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 9118
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 1:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken date slippage is already occurring. Now 2 are scheduled for 2011 (one in December). Weren't four initially to be released this year, the first in April?? Anyway it isn't for me. If it turns out to be a great series, ten years from now lots of folks are going to envy those who got the pre-pub price. Again, not me.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS