Announcing Evangelical Exegetical Commentary Payment Plans

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 57 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:21 AM

Dan Francis:

I am going for it. I am not worried as Logos has great customer service. If after seeing the first volume it is clearly not for me I think there is likely not going to be any issue getting a refund. I would like to see 2 volumes before making that decision but I am happy to judge basing on the one volume if that is all I can do.

-Dan

Yes

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:35 AM

I'm cautious about the financials but I am even more concerned about the perspective and approach of the commentaries themselves.  Most of the NT authors seem to be from a dispensational background.  If that is your approach, wonderful, but there is no indication of the theological perspective of this series.  Everyone has a perspective--it is not a moot issue--and there tends to be a few channels this can go in an "Evangelical" commentary (e.g. dispensational, reformed, charismatic, etc.).  Frankly, it might be good for marketing, but not being more thorough and straightforward on the theological plan and perspective that is envisioned or directed, makes any advanced (!) purchase more tenuous.  I am not trying to stir up any trouble; I just wish that Logos was more forthcoming with all the relevant details.

Ross

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:38 AM

Eric Weiss:

Well, I went with the best deal longest payment plan - i.e., 1 year of 12 pmnts @$58.33/ea. with no servicing fee. Smallest ding to my budget.

I figure I can still opt out before the first volume ships if the preview we were promised looks mediocre.

So... where is the preview? Geeked

SNAFU Alert:

I sent the email yesterday, per the instructions, to sales@logos.com to request the ~$58/month no-fee 1-year payment plan, and requested email confirmation of this. Someone there apparently considered it as second order and showed it as $699.95, and today I got a confirming email to that effect. Tongue Tied

So I called Logos today and the guy I was transferred to said, Yep, I have 2 orders for the EEC. He said he'd remove the second order.

However, when looking at my account, it appears he removed the first order, as it says I just ordered it Today for $699.95. I asked and he said I should get confirmation re: my Payment Plan choice, but right now it looks from the email I got that I'm going to get socked for all $699.95 in a single payment.

Huh?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:43 AM

As someone who's read through commentaries with unapologetically preterist conclusions, as (very) reasonable as they are, I would personally find a commentary set of such an apparent high caliber, following a dispensationalist line very refreshing!

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:44 AM

Edwin Bowden:
Many requests have been made for more info about the style, content, approach, target audience, etc. Logos has not responded.

If the first volume is going to be ready in June, there should be sufficient material available now to give us a preview.

and...
Edwin Bowden:
The new question since then:  How many other publication dates on this series are going to slide?
 I also am waiting on both questions Edwin (and everyone who's asking them).  However I'm in it right now because my experience with Logos is that this pig in a poke ain't gonna be a cat.  :-)  Logos has always had a generous return policy - the customer service is always phenomenal - at least in my personal experience.  Yes it is a gamble - I don't think it's rational to claim that it isn't.  But given Logos' track record with customer service, I'm not convinced it's a bad gamble.
Thomas Yassine Bourega:
Edit: Preordered it, but there's no option of a payment plan. Will delete and re-preorder when I can get the 12-month plan.
 Thomas, you may want to go back and re-read the blog post the payment plan is only available by contacting Logos directly.  It will not be automatic through the web page.

Eric Weiss:

SNAFU Alert:... Tongue Tied ... Huh?

You might want to send off that second email asking (1) for clarification and (2) outlining exactly what you want.  Smile

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:49 AM

Thomas Black:

Edwin Bowden:
Many requests have been made for more info about the style, content, approach, target audience, etc. Logos has not responded.

If the first volume is going to be ready in June, there should be sufficient material available now to give us a preview.

and...
Edwin Bowden:
The new question since then:  How many other publication dates on this series are going to slide?
 I also am waiting on both questions Edwin (and everyone who's asking them).  However I'm in it right now because my experience with Logos is that this pig in a poke ain't gonna be a cat.  :-)  Logos has always had a generous return policy - the customer service is always phenomenal - at least in my personal experience.  Yes it is a gamble - I don't think it's rational to claim that it isn't.  But given Logos' track record with customer service, I'm not convinced it's a bad gamble.
Thomas Yassine Bourega:
Edit: Preordered it, but there's no option of a payment plan. Will delete and re-preorder when I can get the 12-month plan.
 Thomas, you may want to go back and re-read the blog post the payment plan is only available by contacting Logos directly.  It will not be automatic through the web page.

Eric Weiss:

SNAFU Alert:... Tongue Tied ... Huh?

You might want to send off that second email asking (1) for clarification and (2) outlining exactly what you want.  Smile

Funnily enough, I had missed that, and have just sent my email asking for the plan. Thanks for the advice anyway. Taking a massive risk, sure, but I don't think my money could go to a better company.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:11 AM

Thomas Black:

Edwin Bowden:

and...

Edwin Bowden:

Logos has always been good in the past to respond to customer requests. It seems strange that we don't know any more now than we did 7 months ago.

I don't buy every product that Logos produces--no one does (except may be Rosie Smile). Each customer selects products that are of interest to them. We don't all have the same interest (academic, technical, pastoral, devotional). We need enough info about products to know if they will be of interest and use to us. There are plenty of Logos items that are beneficial to other customers that I have no interest in.

I know that it is hard to compare, but I think most customers would like to know how EEC compares to other major commentary series:  NICOT/NICNT, WBC, ICC, Hermenia, BST, Pillar, BEC, EBC, etc.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:25 AM

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:
I'm still thinking about that one.

Since I already know how you feel about Dispensationalism, you might want to consider this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/t/31098.aspx

Thanks, Jack.  That's good to know ahead of time rather than be surprised by it when the resource comes.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10596
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 1:33 PM

George Somsel:
Thanks, Jack.  That's good to know ahead of time rather than be surprised by it when the resource comes.

Glad to be of service, young fellow. Geeked This is an ongoing discussion, and subsequent posts indicate that the original poster may have seen the set as being more narrow than it will be. However, it does have a lot of DTS alumni among the contributors. That would be a plus for me, but YMMV. Cool

Posts 17
Ed Faalam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 11:51 PM

Hahaha… You really have a lot of faith to a lot of things if you could put your money into this.  That Logos and the EEC Committee will complete it, the authors do their job excellently and you want it, time and technology would not change, a stretch of nine years to finally get all your orders, and many more.

Funny, I'm not firmly decided that I don't want it!

Posts 103
Lonnie Ritchie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:32 PM

I'm sure these commentaries would be a valuable addition to my library, but honestly compels me to say that that's too much a cash outlay for one set of books.  I'm like some others - on a fixed budget - and I'll have to pass.  I've got to use that much money to buy other books that will be just as worthy an addition to my library.

Logos, you guys are great, but this is just simply too much for my budget to absorb.

Lonnie

Posts 109
Larry Heflin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:13 AM

I'm in. Payment option # 5. I read the preview and liked it. I'll eat a few less cheese burgers over the next three years to help defray the costs.

Larry

Posts 4
Carl Lehman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 12:51 PM

I think Thomas mentioned an idea above that I like.  Could you setup a payment plan where you would charge us each time a new volume came out.  So instead of all the money upfront, only charge us for the books that are released.  So it would work out to be 44 payments @ about $15 each.  That way we are only paying for something when it's actually released.  Also, I think if this plan was to work that you would have to wave the $5 per transaction fee.  $220 extra for administration would seem extremely exorbitant.  Without having an option like this I can not even begin to think about buying this.  $700 is a lot of money.   I, like many others would probably like this commentary set, but without seeing more than a chapter of a preview it's very difficult to go all in.  But if this plan was setup as I described I would more than likely jump in. 

Posts 24
Jason Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:28 PM

You sir need to get back to work Big Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:31 PM

Carl Lehman:

I think Thomas mentioned an idea above that I like.  Could you setup a payment plan where you would charge us each time a new volume came out.  So instead of all the money upfront, only charge us for the books that are released.  So it would work out to be 44 payments @ about $15 each.  That way we are only paying for something when it's actually released.  Also, I think if this plan was to work that you would have to wave the $5 per transaction fee.  $220 extra for administration would seem extremely exorbitant.  Without having an option like this I can not even begin to think about buying this.  $700 is a lot of money.   I, like many others would probably like this commentary set, but without seeing more than a chapter of a preview it's very difficult to go all in.  But if this plan was setup as I described I would more than likely jump in. 

That would be a perfectly reasonable request if Logos were able as well to "waive" the expense of processing the payments.  Since, however, they cannot tell their employees that they need to process these payments without being paid for the time involved and since the electric bill will not be decreased by the amount of usage assigned to the task, etc, etc, I cannot see how that would be possible if someone chooses to pay over 3 yrs (the maximum period).  I think it is gracious of them to waive the service charge on payment periods lasting 1 yr or less.  You might consider that.  I haven't yet decided to opt in on this, but I would need to pay $58.xx per month for one year.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:36 PM

I'd even pay the $5 transaction fee if they charged us by the volume. It sounds good to me. Hopefully this is offered as an option. If it is, I'm in for sure.

Posts 103
Lonnie Ritchie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:49 PM

Yeah, but the books won't be completed until several years after you've made the last payment...that is, if they are completed even then.  I really love what these guys at Logos do for us, but that's a long time to wait for a return on your investment.  At least that's MHO.  Peace.

Lonnie

Posts 4
Carl Lehman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 2:32 PM

I would agree that we need to pay for some sort of human administration fee for the setup, but I guess I am surprised that each transaction needs human intervention.  I would think that once the payment schedule is setup initially that then the transaction would occur automatically.  But maybe the transaction fee isn't for the human intervention, but maybe for a fee that they themselves incur for processing the credit card transaction.

If it is a human intervention fee then I am surprised for a technology company they don't have a more automatic way of setting up payment schedules.

I think the only way I might be able to afford this is option 8 on the payment schedule options on this page http://blog.logos.com/archives/2011/03/evangelical_exegetical_commentary_payment_plans.html

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS