EEC = Blind Faith?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011 5:34 PM

I have been thinking about the new Logos EEC, and I have decided one must have blind faith to purchase this commentary that is not scheduled to be completed until 2019???

I think the price needs to be much more aggressive on the Pre-Pub ($399) in-order to make appealing enough.

Please help me, and show me that my thinking is wrong?

Blessings,

Mike

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 5:59 PM

Michael James:

I have been thinking about the new Logos EEC, and I have decided one must have blind faith to purchase this commentary that is not scheduled to be completed until 2019???

I think the price needs to be much more aggressive on the Pre-Pub ($399) in-order to make appealing enough.

Blessings,

Mike

Mike, this thread has a few posts by Logos VP Dan Pritchett, (as opposed to "MVP", such as me, which means, I think, that I am MORE valuable than the "other Dan."  Or . . . .maybe not Stick out tongue)

Yes, we users want it more cheaply.  But Logos is putting out a bundle of money to complete this project that someone else started--and had essentially died (the project, not the someone else), and Logos picked it up, added their electronic publishing prowess, and PRESTO--we have something that has never been tried before: a digitally produced commentary set that (to varying degrees) takes advantage of Logos' unique features.  The current pricing structure is to help them keep this going.

As for "blind faith"--yeah, it is, but unless THEY tank--if the project tanks for some unforeseen reason, then I don't think Logos would keep all our cash. 

here is another thread with many different views represented.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 120
Steve Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 6:13 PM

Michael James:

Mike -

Like a LOT of things about business and product pricing, it's not often a matter of "right and wrong." As the comment Dan Pritchett made in the post "the other Dan" (above) referenced, this is Logos' plan as they explore uncharted territory. I accept that it's a strategic decision, even a "strategic risk" as Dan P. readily admits in his comments. I also accept them it sincere and well thought out. Whether I want to "step out in faith" in exchange for a price discount is my decision, as it is your decision. It's not like they are only agreeing to sell it to people if they commit by March 31st or June 30th or whatever, and no one else can purchase it at a later date. (A cake and cake consumption analogy comes to mind.) If you feel uncomfortable making the purchase decision now, (what you call lacking "faith"), fine... wait. You'll probably be in good company. That neither makes your thinking "right" or "wrong." It just makes it your personal choice.

For what it's worth.

Steve R.

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 6:26 PM

I think it would be neat to watch this thing get marketed with an escalating price structure.  The price goes up gradually up as each and every book is released.  Simultaneously, the risk goes down because now we see the goods.  And if the goods are indeed great the demand will still be great, if the goods are not good the demand will go down.Smile

My thoughts are paralleled to business start ups, the early on investor in a company gets their stocks at a much lower cost per share.  This is because there is a much greater reward for the risk of getting in early.  I agree people can take the wait and see...

But, my thoughts are, if you want to get significant funding upfront, up the ante... and lower the Pre-pub price for the early investors...

Mike

Posts 22
Kent Maitland | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:23 PM

Michael,

From the standpoint of scholarly contribution, I'd say this is looking to be one of the finest evangelical commentary sets out there. Logos did quite a good job in pairing each author with what is generally their own field of expertise. For example, Eugene Merrill has done quite a bit of work in Deuteronomy, as has Bill Barrick with Genesis. I could easily list others out of those who are slated to contribute that are literally the perfect fit for the books they are assigned to. 

From the standpoint of layout, I think you may be on to something. It is hard to work up the motivation to dish out as much money as they're asking for on a commentary set that you've never seen. If it were up to me, I would make it a cross between ICC (not the old archaic volumes, but the more recent) and NIC. What they're anticipating is still unclear.

Ultimately, my decision to not dish out the money has to do with the massive commentary collection already available in my arsenal. There comes a point where commentary reading can be a little redundant. Just having maybe 3 good ones suffices for me. 

Posts 82
Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:57 PM

Kent Maitland:

Michael,

From the standpoint of scholarly contribution, I'd say this is looking to be one of the finest evangelical commentary sets out there. Logos did quite a good job in pairing each author with what is generally their own field of expertise. For example, Eugene Merrill has done quite a bit of work in Deuteronomy, as has Bill Barrick with Genesis. I could easily list others out of those who are slated to contribute that are literally the perfect fit for the books they are assigned to. 

From the standpoint of layout, I think you may be on to something. It is hard to work up the motivation to dish out as much money as they're asking for on a commentary set that you've never seen. If it were up to me, I would make it a cross between ICC (not the old archaic volumes, but the more recent) and NIC. What they're anticipating is still unclear.

Ultimately, my decision to not dish out the money has to do with the massive commentary collection already available in my arsenal. There comes a point where commentary reading can be a little redundant. Just having maybe 3 good ones suffices for me. 

I'd tend to agree that the scholarship behind this is tremendous.  I know some of these profs and would eagerly read what they write.  But yes, I wish the pre-pub would be cheaper for those who really want to take the jump...

Posts 6401
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:40 PM

I'm not saying I wouldn't order it, but I'd rather try to add some other O.T. commentaries to my library.  I have plenty of great N.T. commentaries and some that I'm planning on completing if the rest of the volumes ever make it to Logos are: NIGTC, BECNT and Pillars.  Meanwhile, I'll try to focus my finances on O.T. especially the Hermeneia O.T. volumes.  From what I've read in reviews those can be more useful than the some what out dated N.T. Hermeneia volumes.

Hopefully Logos will make EEC available as separate sets some day O.T. and N.T.

Blessings!

Douglas

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 8:43 PM

I am reading another post about the EEC and the debate is heating up.  All of the EEC concern can be summed up by the fear of the "unknown", we as humans tend to get anxious about the unknown.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 7:27 AM

Michael James:
All of the EEC concern can be summed up by the fear of the "unknown", we as humans tend to get anxious about the unknown.
 I think you've nailed it on the head.  Even though I've already ordered I'm just waiting for a few screenshots or PDF's or something of the first chapter, frontmatter, etc.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 7:42 AM

Thomas Black:

Michael James:
All of the EEC concern can be summed up by the fear of the "unknown", we as humans tend to get anxious about the unknown.
 I think you've nailed it on the head.  Even though I've already ordered I'm just waiting for a few screenshots or PDF's or something of the first chapter, frontmatter, etc.

"Hope" is what we relish,  and our faith in or lack thereof is the qestion.  Do we have the faith in our fellow mankind that we need in order to buy into the EEC -- before it has even been seen?

Good intentions riddle the world!

Faith, Hope and Love.  Isn't ironic, that in life and (thought of)eternal life we still really rely on our Faith, Hope, and Love....

Posts 2249
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 16 2011 8:09 PM

I'm not yet hooked on the lure of EEC as I still want to get WBC first to replace the print volumes I have. But I think Logos is a sufficiently savvy company to be able to handle the undertaking. I wouldn't have ponied up as much as I already have if I thought they were going to drop the ball. A portion of the business is pre-publication. So I think most of us Logosians are already drinking from a well with a promised future.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 1:33 PM

I sent the following email today to suggest@logos.com as that is where the Sales person said I should send it:

Dear Logos:

I and many others have been under the impression that when the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary series was announced for pre-pub, we read or were told that we'd be able to see a preview prior to it being shipped as a further way of helping us decide if we want to purchase it.

According to Logos Sales, though, it will be shipped on June 1 with NO preview. If we don't like what we see, we can call and cancel our order for this, per the Logos return policy, but there won't be any seeing of any parts of it prior to when it ships.

There's a lot of discussion about the EEC and this in the Forum, and I think you should do a Logos Blog post very soon explaining if there is going to be an opportunity to preview some samples before it ships, or if that isn't going to happen.

Thanks!

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 4:19 PM

Eric,

We will be making previews of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary available very, very soon. The first volumes are beginning to come in, and we'll make sure you get the chance to preview some of the contents before we ship.

We also have plans to blog more about the EEC as we near the ship date to give you a better idea of what the set is about. Look for more on the blog in the next couple weeks.

Kent

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 5:59 PM

Kent Hendricks:

We will be making previews of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary available very, very soon. The first volumes are beginning to come in, and we'll make sure you get the chance to preview some of the contents before we ship.

We also have plans to blog more about the EEC as we near the ship date to give you a better idea of what the set is about. Look for more on the blog in the next couple weeks.

Kent

Kent,

Glad to hear that previews are coming soon. It's less than 2 weeks to the deadline to order at the best price. We need the info before the order dealine--not the publication date.

People have been getting nervous about not seeing any response from Logos over the last 7 months about the approach, content, format and details of the series. You cannot expect people to commit without something concrete to see.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 7:05 PM

Edwin Bowden:
Kent,

Glad to hear that previews are coming soon. It's less than 2 weeks to the deadline to order at the best price. We need the info before the order dealine--not the publication date.

People have been getting nervous about not seeing any response from Logos over the last 7 months about the approach, content, format and details of the series. You cannot expect people to commit without something concrete to see.

Edwin: Order it now at $699.95 so you're locked in at the best price. Pick the best payment plan for you. Before it ships on June 1 you will have seen some previews; you can always then decide to opt out. Even after that, if you stay in and get it June 1 when it ships and don't like it or don't think 43 others like it are worth $700, then cancel and get a complete refund by July 1, I suspect. You have nothing to lose by signing up now, as you won't get charged until it ships, and even after that you'll have 30 days or so to decided to stay in or get out. You gain nothing by waiting until after March 31, or so it seems to me.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 222
Justin Cofer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2011 8:26 PM

I agree with Eric; if anybody is even half way considering it.  Lock in now.  There's no obligation.  You can cancel before the first one ships this summer (which is when you will get charged).

I talked to my salesman, David Jones, and he said that they're going to be flexible on this.  If you get a few volumes and HATE it; Logos will refund your money.  It's no a lose scenario.

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 5:33 AM

Justin Cofer:

I agree with Eric; if anybody is even half way considering it.  Lock in now.  There's no obligation.  You can cancel before the first one ships this summer (which is when you will get charged).

I talked to my salesman, David Jones, and he said that they're going to be flexible on this.  If you get a few volumes and HATE it; Logos will refund your money.  It's no a lose scenario.

It's interesting that Logos has not given that info with its promotion of the set.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 6:32 AM

Kent Hendricks:

Eric,

Kent

Thanks Kent.  

It seems we all need a bit of reassurance on the previews.  

I will wait.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 6:46 AM

A 5-year plan to buy a set of commentaries...really..Indifferent.   While I understand that I don't quite see the ultimate positive side of this plan, and I am sure others will help me with that, but a 5-year plan.  That's just shy of a home loan.

Posts 10545
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:58 AM

Rene Atchley:
but a 5-year plan.  That's just shy of a home loan.

That would be a small home, a huge down payment, or a crushing monthly mortgage Geeked Even Auto loans can go up to 72 months now.

However, I agree that a 5 year payment plan does seem like a long-term commitment. I'm debating still.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS