home page > turn off full text justification ?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:51 PM

Is there any way to turn off the full text justification on the home page of Logos?  Thankfully, none of the resources are that way.  I find full text justification very hard to read because of the variable width spaces between the words.

Posts 18727
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 8:29 PM

I agree. I dislike full justification.

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn it off on the home page. You'd need to request that feature to be added.

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 2:39 AM

Ken F Hill:
Is there any way to turn off the full text justification on the home page of Logos?...I find full text justification very hard to read because of the variable width spaces between the words.

+1 Yes

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 8:53 AM

Ken F Hill:
full text justification

You really increase you English vocabulary in this place. Didn't know that one. Funny expression. Justification tends to refer to something rather different on these forums...

Ken F Hill:
I find full text justification very hard to read

I find not justified text much harder to read. It disturbs my sense of order. 

Rosie Perera:
You'd need to request that feature to be added.

Please feel free to request an option to turn it off on the Home Page -- if I get the option to turn it on in the resources. Plus a size control on the Home Page. I dare say the tiny size is a much greater impediment to people's reading than the justification.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 9:09 AM

I disagree.

Full text justification should be used in precisely this kind of situation, and is what it was designed for. Without it the eye would not follow the multi-column structure quite as easily.

I agree that for most people (i.e., desktop publication), and for a simple two column document, it's not necessary. But as I look at my home page, I see eight columns (wide screen monitor). The full justification makes it easy to find and follow the column structure, without the need for lines between the columns.

If one's default text size is too large, I suppose it could create problems with very large spaces between words, or even a single word divided up with spaces to fill the column width. But with the default text size I don't see any obvious or distracting examples (though it's still possible, of course).

I like it, and I think it fits the newspaper design theme for the page very well.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 26874
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 11:12 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

I disagree.

Full text justification should be used in precisely this kind of situation,

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2421
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 11:28 AM

Ken F Hill:

Is there any way to turn off the full text justification on the home page of Logos?  Thankfully, none of the resources are that way.  I find full text justification very hard to read because of the variable width spaces between the words.

One "FIX" would be to go to the resource and read the original.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 12:50 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
If one's default text size is too large, I suppose it could create problems

The default text size does not affect the Home Page (at least not on Mac). I wish it did!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 726
Theolobias | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 1:06 PM

David Ames:
One "FIX" would be to go to the resource and read the original.

Yes Which surely is the main purpose the originals are meant for! Some people forget how to read over using electronic books ... Wink

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.5GHz, 2.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon XPress 1250 | theolobias.de

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 1:11 PM

fgh:
I dare say the tiny size is a much greater impediment to people's reading than the justification.

Ken, I was under the impression that the font size could be adjusted within the program settingsin the tools menu. I may be in-correct in that the font size may be a factor of your monitors screen resolution.

All the best,

Regards, SteveF

Posts 18727
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 1:47 PM

SteveF:

fgh:
I dare say the tiny size is a much greater impediment to people's reading than the justification.

Ken, I was under the impression that the font size could be adjusted within the program settingsin the tools menu. I may be in-correct in that the font size may be a factor of your monitors screen resolution.

You can adjust the font size of the resources and tools only (doesn't affect certain user interface elements, such as menus and the Home page) using the "Default Text Size" setting in Tools > Program Settings:

If you want to control the size of everything, including user interface, use instead the Program Scaling setting:

I know this works on Windows but am not positive about the Mac version. I seem to recall there was some issue with font scaling on the Mac, but don't quote me on it.

Incidentally, the font size slider control within each resources panel menu controls the font size of just that tab:

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 3:52 PM

SteveF:
I was under the impression that the font size could be adjusted within the program settingsin the tools menu.

Yes it can, but, like I already said, that doesn't affect the Home Page.

Rosie Perera:
If you want to control the size of everything, including user interface, use instead the Program Scaling setting:

I know this works on Windows but am not positive about the Mac version. I seem to recall there was some issue with font scaling on the Mac, but don't quote me on it.

You're correct. Scaling does not exist in L4M.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 10:18 AM

fgh:

Ken F Hill:

Rosie Perera:

Please feel free to request an option to turn it off on the Home Page -- if I get the option to turn it on in the resources.

Now, look at this:

Not that this was anywhere near the top of my priorities, but it'll be nice to get someday nevertheless!

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 3:07 PM

fgh:

fgh:

Ken F Hill:

Rosie Perera:

Please feel free to request an option to turn it off on the Home Page -- if I get the option to turn it on in the resources.

Now, look at this:

Not that this was anywhere near the top of my priorities, but it'll be nice to get someday nevertheless!

This setting is for the resources within L4, but it does not change the home page.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS