What to Prioritize; What Not to Prioritize

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 20 2011 9:12 PM

So after watching Mark Barnes great videos on how to make Logos functional for your individual needs its pretty clear resource prioritization is a helpful and easy thing to do.

After my initial prioritization following Mark's suggestions I always have this suspicion I'm leaving certain resources out that may be helpful.

Might anyone share how they keep up with their prioritization list.  Does every resource that calls itself a dictionary or encyclopedia need to be on this list?  What are some must have resources and resource categories (ie. dictionaries, encyclopedia, multi volume commentaries) on your lists?

thanks for any input...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 2:20 AM

Paul Newsome:

So after watching Mark Barnes great videos on how to make Logos functional for your individual needs its pretty clear resource prioritization is a helpful and easy thing to do.

After my initial prioritization following Mark's suggestions I always have this suspicion I'm leaving certain resources out that may be helpful.

Getting Started with Logos wiki page includes Prioritize Library section with Wiki Prioritizing and A Sample Prioritize List links plus many video demonstration links, including "Mark Barnes created a Collections and Prioritizing video set"

Paul Newsome:
Might anyone share how they keep up with their prioritization list.  Does every resource that calls itself a dictionary or encyclopedia need to be on this list?  What are some must have resources and resource categories (ie. dictionaries, encyclopedia, multi volume commentaries) on your lists?

Personally adjust as use Logos 4 and read various resources (e.g. moved up "A Commentary on the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica" series after researching 1 Cor 7:19) along with acquiring resources: pre-pub looks helpful: http://www.logos.com/product/6667/babylonian-and-jerusalem-talmud-collection

Now have United Bible Societies' Handbook series as my 5th "Bible"; UBS New Testament Handbook Series and UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament is now my top Greek Bible (like using with my Logos Greek Morphology visual filters) - nominally display interlinear with manuscript and Louw-Nida numbers (pop-up context gloss plus option to click number to open prioritized lexicon).

Personally moved Holman New Testament Commentary Series below Bible Dictionaries on prioritize list after many Holman volumes appeared in context menu for dictionary lookup.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5630
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 3:10 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Now have United Bible Societies' Handbook series as my 5th "Bible"; UBS New Testament Handbook Series and UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Yes I was wishing I had quicker access to the UBS handbooks, and now I have followed your lead.

Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament is now my top Greek Bible (like using with my Logos Greek Morphology visual filters) - nominally display interlinear with manuscript and Louw-Nida numbers (pop-up context gloss plus option to click number to open prioritized lexicon).

I also like this idea and have now replaced the NA27 in my list with the LDGNT.

Personally moved Holman New Testament Commentary Series below Bible Dictionaries on prioritize list after many Holman volumes appeared in context menu for dictionary lookup.

I have almost everything after the dictionaries/encyclopedias because of the possibility of embedded glossaries like this. My order of resource types is:

1. Bibles (now with the UBS Handbooks, too!)
  2. Special data-type resources: I have the WCF, the Apostolic fathers, Josephus, Philo, the Mishnah, and the specialized glossaries for the HDNT and LDGNT placed here to speed up the pop-ups for these data-types.  The pop-ups were very slow before I prioritized them.  I don't think they need to be this high in the list, but they aren't hurting anything.
  3. English Dictionaries: Generally Bible and theological dictionaries are preferred before generic dictionaries, but I have placed COED first to get quick word definitions with double-clicks.
  4. Greek Dictionaries
  5. Hebrew Dictionaries
  6. Commentaries: I have all the commentaries I care about on the list.
  7. Daily devotionals

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:14 AM
"I have placed COED first to get quick word definitions with double-clicks." If you don't mind me asking what resource is COED? Thanks in advance
Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:19 AM

COED is the Concise Oxford English Dictionary

http://www.logos.com/product/2225/concise-oxford-english-dictionary-11th-ed

Posts 5630
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:41 AM

Joan Korte:

Yeah.  I have several basic English dictionaries: Concise Oxford English Dictionary (COED), Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, and Collins English Dictionary.  COED is the top one because its concise definitions work well with the information panel, and the entries have a cleaner formatting and are easier to read than the ones in the other dictionaries. It's worth having all three--I often find words in one but not the others. Plus, COED and Collins are British and give primacy to British definitions and spellings, whereas M-W gives priority to American English.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 11:48 AM

Joan Korte:

COED is the Concise Oxford English Dictionary

http://www.logos.com/product/2225/concise-oxford-english-dictionary-11th-ed

Drat !  I was hoping for some good-looking babes.  Devil 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:15 PM

Paul here's another viewpoint on prioritization, especially for users not yet acquainted with their libraries or "perfectionists" who will invest and re-invest a fair amount of energy into creating and maintaining their prioritization, especially as their libraries grow rather large. 

Now before I proceed please understand I definitely see the benefit, and did create a rather thorough prioritized list of my resources.  With that said, and Logos employees looking the other way, I have only one resource prioritized, which is the Bible used at my local assembly.  Any and all energy I would have further spent into trying to create that impossible perfect prioritization list is now used in creating customized layouts with resources I typically use.  As I continue to work with my library I imagine these layouts (i.e., selection of resources) will change.

Well this for me at least Paul has freed myself from worrying about prioritization and concentrating on using my library in order to become better acquainted with the resources I have available.  While I realize we are not just talking about commentaries, but taking them as an example, I have decided for myself that there is no significant benefit in having certain ones show up sooner than later.  The ones I enjoy referring to take only a minute to find, and as already mentioned are placed in personal study layouts for easy access in any event.

So if anyone is over-analyzing this aspect of Logos, especially newcomers or fussy folks like me, my advice to those users is to leave prioritization alone until you at least have become more familiar with your library.  Instead concentrate on creating useful layouts.

Regards

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 21 2011 8:23 PM

Paul Newsome:

I don't "keep up" with it.  I prioritize a work if it has similar works of the same type, e.g., I prioritize BHS 4.2, NA27, HALOT then BDB, BDAG, NRSV, AYBD, Collins English Dictionary, etc.  I don't bother with commentaries and the like -- I just use the library to open the one I want.  Unless I get something better in the field the priority is set.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS