Utility for Library - Mark Barnes

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:29 AM

I am trying to use the information to create a library off of Mark's Website and I am just not able to make it work.  I have both a PC and Mac and have tried it both ways.

Does anyone have more details that may help me on this task?

thanks,

Mike

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:56 AM

How far along do you get? Where is the process not completing for you?

Are you sure to wait the LONG time after submitting the catalog.db? Or are you closing the browser window in a few minutes? 

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:17 AM

Hi Mike,

I copy this  %appdata%\..\local\Logos4\Data

Then I hit the Browse button

I paste the above copy into the file name box

I hit open and it says  %appdata%\..\local\Logos4\Data Path does not exist. Please verify the correct path was given.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:29 AM

I'm on the mac, so I'll tell you what to do on the mac using safari:

1. On the creator website, after logging in, go to the "Select the catalog.db file" and click the "Choose File" button 
      This will open up the finder file selection window... this is where you need to navigate to the catalog.db file

2. Click on the home folder on the left... it will have an icon that looks like this:

3. now you'll scroll through and find the "Library" folder, double click on that, then do the same for the following subsequent folders:
Application Support -->  Logos4 --> Data --> (a random string, but the only folder in the data folder) -->  Library Catalog

4. Here is where you'll find the catalog.db file with a bunch of other files: select the catalog.db file and click the "Choose" button on the lower right

5. Now you need to click the "Upload" button to the right of the "Choose File" button

6. Wait... take heed of the "at least 5 minutes" warning... just let the web page sit... do not touch it... walk away for lunch... really... it took more then 20 minutes for my library... seriously... walk away... OK, point made... 

7. When things are done uploading you'll see the page to generate your report... this actually goes much faster (compared to the previous step!)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:35 AM

First, enable viewing of hidden files and folders in the folder options then in your process browse to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data (Vista/Win7) , that's the folder you want

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 12:59 PM

Mike S.:

I'm on the mac, so I'll tell you what to do on the mac using safari:

1. On the creator website, after logging in, go to the "Select the catalog.db file" and click the "Choose File" button 
      This will open up the finder file selection window... this is where you need to navigate to the catalog.db file

2. Click on the home folder on the left... it will have an icon that looks like this:

3. now you'll scroll through and find the "Library" folder, double click on that, then do the same for the following subsequent folders:
Application Support -->  Logos4 --> Data --> (a random string, but the only folder in the data folder) -->  Library Catalog

4. Here is where you'll find the catalog.db file with a bunch of other files: select the catalog.db file and click the "Choose" button on the lower right

5. Now you need to click the "Upload" button to the right of the "Choose File" button

6. Wait... take heed of the "at least 5 minutes" warning... just let the web page sit... do not touch it... walk away for lunch... really... it took more then 20 minutes for my library... seriously... walk away... OK, point made... 

7. When things are done uploading you'll see the page to generate your report... this actually goes much faster (compared to the previous step!)

Ok, I got to the point where you click the "upload" button.  Then the Safari Browser starts to turn blue about 20% of the way accross and it just sits there.  I have waited for 55 minutes (I have 4,200 resources).

What should I see at the end to know when it is finished?  Is there a file name, or how do I find the utility??

thanks so much...

Mike

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 3:05 PM

I tried and it and it went through (at least I think it did) were do I find the file??

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 3:08 PM

Did you see step 7?

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 3:27 PM

Yes, but nothing happend... what did I do wrong

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:29 PM

Go here: http://www.4-14.org.uk/logos/logos4-bibliographic-report

Then click the "Generate Report" button.

If there is no such button, you need to repeat the process and wait longer.

If nothing happens within 10 minutes of clicking the "Generate Report" button, you might want to check your internet connection stability. Do you have problems downloading major updates to logos?

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:00 PM

Hey Mike,

i appreciate your patience in helping me... thank you.

But, it is not working.  I can see my browser working after I upload, but I never get a "Generate Report" button.

I am fairly confident I am uploading everything properly.  

Is it possible the utiltiy is not working???

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:09 PM

MJD:

But, it is not working.  I can see my browser working after I upload, but I never get a "Generate Report" button.

I am fairly confident I am uploading everything properly.  

Is it possible the utiltiy is not working???

It sounds like you're not leaving the upload web page alone long enough. I don't know what your internet connection is like, mine is fast and big (e.g. the biggest of Logos updates never takes longer then 5-10 minutes to download) and I had to wait a good 20 minutes. Maybe start it before you go to bed and see if the page shows up the next morning. You'll know if it "failed" because you'll get an error page. 

The only other likely option is that your internet connection is super flakey and dropping the connection. If that were the case though, allowing your upload to continue will bring up a Safari error message about loosing the connection with the server.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS