Logos 4 Mac Speed Comparison between OSX and Windows via Parallels

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:15 AM

I finally did my comparison video. It is at my site.

One observation. My addition of 4 more GB of RAM and a new faster hybrid SSD/optical hard drive has really boosted the performance. I was not seeing this until just today as it takes 4-6 loads of an app for the drive to optimize the application. So in this video you are seeing the benefits of this upgrade.

You can read about the upgrade and my review of the hard drive at Notebooks.com. Warning. Google this morning flagged our site as having malicious code. I assure you that it does not! If you get a warning you may proceed without fear. The malicious code was due to some bad stuff in an advertiser's ad. That advertiser has been removed and we are just waiting for Google to get off the dime and remove us from the naughty list.

Posts 82
Andrew Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:54 AM

Kevin, I don't really see any noticeable difference between the performance on your machine and mine. I think your boot up time is quicker, which must come from the hybrid drive, which I don't have. Also, my CPU is running at 2.3 GHz, but I also only have 4 GB RAM. I think my Word-by-Word is faster than yours. In any case, I don't understand how anyone could consider the performance you showed in that video as unacceptable. The program works very well. This video should dispel the idea that a modern Mac is incapable of running Logos effectively. 

Devs, as someone who was here in the Alpha days, running on my 4-year-old Macbook, you have done a great job. As a former developer, I would be very happy with the performance gains you've made in Logos, especially in the last release, which was great. Thank you, and job well done. Keep up the good work!

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 9:20 AM

Thanks for posting.

I was very impressed with Parallels handling of Logos. My L4 performance on Fusion has been acceptable to me, but definitely a little slower than Parallels. My L4 Mac loads a little slower than yours, but performance wise it is pretty much the same as what I saw in the video. I have 8G RAM and the Hitachi 7200 500G hard drive.

Overall, I'm very pleased with L4 Mac (personally don't see the need to use the Windows version), with the expectation the it's performance will continue to improve.

Thanks again.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:18 PM

Andrew Hanson:
I don't understand how anyone could consider the performance you showed in that video as unacceptable. The program works very well. This video should dispel the idea that a modern Mac is incapable of running Logos effectively. 

I don't consider it unacceptable. In fact if you read the post and listened to my comments in the video I was stating that it was behaving much faster today thanks probably to the performance of the hybrid hard drive now learning my usage. It is quite good now. But I feel confident that if I crack open the case and go back to the stock hard drive, the poor performance I was experiencing will return. I have to do a speed and battery test with the stock hard drive so I will likely do that at the same time and see what happens. It was quite unacceptable, but is now quite usable. Now compared to other apps, it does still feel a tiny bit slower. Other apps just pop instantly. And Logos on a Windows computer (not on Parallels) is faster. But I am happy now.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS