Sharing my library

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 4
Steve Wipperman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:24 AM

My son is entering the Seminary and I wonder if there is some way for me to share my library with him?

For example, if I purchased him a basic Logos account, would I be able to share my Logos books with him?

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:29 AM

Stephen Wipperman:

My son is entering the Seminary and I wonder if there is some way for me to share my library with him?

For example, if I purchased him a basic Logos account, would I be able to share my Logos books with him?

You can't share books between two accounts, and Logos is licenced per-user anyway, so the answer really is 'no'. Logos do generously allow family members to use another family member's copy of Logos on an occasional basis, if they are part of the same household, even though strictly speaking the licence terms do not permit this. But that wouldn't describe the situation you have.

The good news is that Logos offer significant discounts (around 35%) for students at seminary, so that may allow him or you to purchase more than you otherwise could.

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2011 12:02 PM

Stephen Wipperman:

For your situation, I believe Mark has given you the correct answer. You can find additional information here: 3265.aspx This is from Bob Pritchett, the CEO. It does not get any more official than this.

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:47 PM

Can we report those who abuse the license? I sure don't mind telling logos of a so called "friend" who has the software installed in his computer and let his sons (3 of them who work on 3 different churches) use the software.  The worst part is the so called "ministers" boast of having paid so much money to upgrade so each can have it on their iPhone and stuff.

I would not hesitate for a moment reporting them if Logos gave me the OK.  The worst part is that they told me and my brother that we were dumb paying twice for the software.  I told him not dumb because I decided to upgrade to Platinum and add other Spanish libraries while my brother decided to stay with his scholars package.

It really ticks me off to see them preach using "sophisticated words" that they get out of the software when they're not good role models by doing what they are doing.  Their churches may not know about it, but I DO.  So please Logos, let me report them, I can give you their names right now!

Sorry, but I hate to see people thinking they're too smart to avoid getting caught when they should know better that God is watching!

GB

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:59 PM

Giovanni Baggio:
Can we report those who abuse the license

I don't think Logos has ever asked us or expected us to do that. I don't think they'd be inclined to prosecute if you did report such abuse. From what I've seen, they are pretty merciful in enforcement, preferring to leave it up to individual conscience. Your best recourse is to go to your brother and tell him you feel he's violating Logos's End User Licensing Agreement (you can direct him to it here) and that it's a matter of principle, supporting a company that he depends on to stay in business, setting a good example for his sons, etc.

Your "friend" isn't sinning against you, he's sinning against Logos, so beyond that I wouldn't worry about it too much. Look out that the desire to feel justified in your own eyes and holier than the other is not your motivation for wanting to report someone. Remember let him who is without sin cast the first stone, and we should deal with the logs in our own eyes before pointing out the specks in others' eyes.

If you feel the need to get Logos's approval before reporting this abuse, then perhaps you have your own doubts about sending in such an email and you already have your answer. Otherwise, why wouldn't you just do it and let Logos ignore it if they don't want to pursue these folks for more money?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2011 2:13 PM

Stephen Wipperman:

As others have said, the EULA would prohibit sharing resources as you suggest. However . . .

My son is also in seminary and was able to get a huge discount because Logos is required at his seminary. Even if it's not required, there is still a substantial discount for students. Be sure to ask, or have your son ask about the academic pricing policy. In my son's case, it was best to wait until he started sem., as that's when the biggest discount was able to be applied.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:35 PM

Giovanni Baggio:
Can we report those who abuse the license?

I suspect you would be better off praying for him.  As you say, "God is watching."

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 4
Steve Wipperman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 7:13 AM

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. Wink

Just to clarify, I have no intention of anything dishonest. That's why I asked.

Specifically I was wondering whether my son and I could share a few books that I have in my library if he owned his own copy of Logos and did not have the particular book he wanted to reference. Over the years, I have added many single copies to my library that are not part of any of the package deals.

We have every intention of purchasing him his own Logos copy.

I pray that no one has been offended by my innocent question and that by asking it I have not opened a door for Satan to work his mischief. Devil

Thanks again and God's blessings to all,

Steve

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:44 AM

Stephen Wipperman:

We recognize that Stephen. I hope you did not feel we were judging you.

The emotional response Giovanni expressed was towards others who know better.  (Many don't know this but Logos could document misuse of the licenses with current technology.)   It isn't easy but I am learning to leave it to God.

Stephen Wipperman:
I pray that no one has been offended by my innocent question and that by asking it I have not opened a door for Satan to work his mischief. Devil

It is good sometimes to revisit the issue so long as it doesn't turn into a debate about intellectual property rights.  ( Devil Now I've one and done it!)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:19 PM

I just want to make one comment about others that aren't living the life. 

Is there some amoung us that no longer sin?  May be one person has one sin in their life that really bothers us, but we tend to forget that we have our own sins that we need to deal with as we learn to walk by faith giving thanks for God forgiving our sins because of His great grace, not because we are walking the walk, and being good role models because we all fail at doing that daily! 

Being a good role model doesn't mean we no longer sin, but rather we are leaning to walk by faith and learning to accept our need for His grace each and every day, to the glory of His Grace!

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 2:06 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

Is there some amoung us that no longer sin?  May be one person has one sin in their life that really bothers us, but we tend to forget that we have our own sins that we need to deal with as we learn to walk by faith giving thanks for God forgiving our sins because of His great grace, not because we are walking the walk, and being good role models because we all fail at doing that daily! 

Being a good role model doesn't mean we no longer sin, but rather we are leaning to walk by faith and learning to accept our need for His grace each and every day, to the glory of His Grace!

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

AMEN!!

Thank you, JIm

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 2:25 PM

Some time ago Bob Pritchett shared a beautiful story. He got an email from someone saying that this person used to pirate our software, was convicted, bought it, and now emailed the CEO asking for his forgiveness! Talk about repentance. :)

Posts 348
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 3:18 PM

I just wanted to say good answer Rosie but I would like to point out that first and foremost they sinning against God first and then LOGOS.

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 3:48 PM

Stephen Wipperman:
Specifically I was wondering whether my son and I could share a few books that I have in my library if he owned his own copy of Logos and did not have the particular book he wanted to reference. Over the years, I have added many single copies to my library that are not part of any of the package deals.

As I understand it, this would be technically impossible, since the books are registered in a database under your individual licence. This is what allows you to utilize your books on various technical platforms that all connect to this same Logos licence database. And even if your PC crashes, if you buy a new one, install the Logos software on it and  connect it to the Logos server, it will recognize all the books in your library as the licences are stored in Logos' database as belonging to you (this is what I have read here about the theoretical technology - try on your own risk and don't take a Newbie's words on it! :-)  Thus somebody can only share someone else's library by impersonating as this individual, not on basis of an own Logos copy. So my understanding, but the more experienced users may correct me if I'm wrong.  

On the other hand, I seem to remember reading in the forums about licence transfers - so if for example you acquired some pretty decent resources on e.g. church history that you discover you don't even read anymore, and your son is telling you about an upcoming assignment where he could make use of them, I understand that Logos service could transfer the licence from your database entries to his. Then you couldn't access them any longer, but the Logos software on his PC would recognize a new licence and download & install the books on his machine. Logos's customer service may charge something for the service to edit their licence database on your behalf. Actually this is more like handing him a book from your library as a present (rather than "sharing" it) but it may help you both.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 4:01 PM

NewbieMick:
Logos's customer service may charge something for the service to edit their licence database on your behalf.

It's twenty dollars per transaction whether it's a single title or a large collection, it's to cover the overhead cost to transfer licenses.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 5:19 PM

If you bought an individual copy of a resource, and then got the same resource in a package, you maybe able to give the individual one to your son. Check with Logos and see what they say.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2922
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 5:50 PM

Lynden Williams:

If you bought an individual copy of a resource, and then got the same resource in a package, you maybe able to give the individual one to your son. Check with Logos and see what they say.

This would be possible unless your price of a package was discounted. Logos can charge a fee for transferring licenses (It has historically been waived, $20, or 10%).

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 8:08 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Right on Jim... Now that is the Gospel

Praise to Him

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:18 PM

Stephen Wipperman:

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. Wink

Thanks again and God's blessings to all,

Steve

In addition to the suggestions already given of your son using the academic discount, you might consider giving him the gift of a resource or two from time to time.  If there is some large and expensive resource such as AYBD, I doubt that Bob and Logos would much object if your son were to use your copy on your own computer when he comes home.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2011 10:51 PM

Lynden Williams:

Quite true.

I did that this week. I have some resources I am not allowed to transfer to others because I was given credit for them towards a cheaper price on upgrading. I had other resources that were truly duplicate licenses that I paid for twice so I was allowed to transfer the duplicates that were not considered toward a discounted upgrade. A resource can not be separated from a collection it was sold with.

I am still trying to figure out how I purchased 2 licenses of the Essential IVP Reference Library considering it is a boxed product.. Even worse, I actually installed the second license too.  Tongue Tied  I knew I had the books but installed it without thinking. At least I only paid one fee to transfer several licenses in a single transaction.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS