Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:22 PM

John Quant:

Ok, Thanks thus far. So I tried doing a cut 'n paste search for "תורת משה"  and it gave me 7 results in BHS, which is good... but somehow it missed Dan 9:11, 1 Kgs 2:3, Ezra 3:2 & 7:6, etc. So something is getting hung up... I wonder if it is the vowels, but I can't find a clear pattern that might be a problem.

When I try to type in "תורת משה" from the keyboard, with no vowels, and do a search in all bibles all I get is one occurrence in one of the Qumran mss (and nothing in BHS, etc!). Any idea why this doesn't work or why the above search doesn't catch anything? How to do wildcard characters figure into searches like this?

These are the same problems - in the first, the phrase search is looking for complete words, so prefixed words are excluded. A lemma search is needed, and if you search for both lemmas you should get all results as you would in a concordance. You can also do a sort of flexible phrase search with lemmas, using the proximity operator WITHIN. So, you could search for <lemma> WITHIN 2 WORDS <lemma>, or something like that, or similar with BEFORE or AFTER.

In the second case, the single hit from the Qumran mss is related to the Hebrew letter ש not having the dot!

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:39 PM

BTW, just in case you aren't familiar with what I mentioned about searching the lemma from the right click menu, here is what it looks like in Daniel 9:11, with the lemma for torah selected.

Also, play around with searching more in the Morph tab. The Morph tab is really optimized for lemma searching, which is what it sounds like you are after. Typing h: there will pull up a list with the lemmas and roots at the top, and the syntax is a little simpler (i.e. you don't see the <> syntax and such).

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 5:07 PM

John Quant:

And, I just noticed, the search for "כל המקום" did not detect Exod 20:20 (which has an additional preposition "ב" attached in the front) or Mal. 1:11 which has a conjunction and preposition attached (i.e., to additional letters). A waw or prep. beth at the beginning should not affect the appearance of a word in a search list (it certainly wouldn't in a real concordance). 

That's because Hebrew searches in Logos are hyper-literal. There's no fuzzy thinking involved with simple searches like the A.I. used in the Google search engine, but there is a relatively painless way to do quick and accurate Hebrew searches.

Type one Hebrew word only into the search, then press the down arrow key. This will show you all the lemmas and it means you don't have to type something like lemma:כל.2 yourself everytime you want to do a Hebrew search. Make sure you choose the right lemma, switch back to English press space type BEFORE 1 WORD then switch back to Hebrew type מקום press the down arrow key for the lemma, if you only want הַמָּקוֹם and not other forms, press @ then N for noun, then choose 'singular' + 'masculine' + 'definite with ה'.

That's basically how I run my Hebrew searches every single time.

I use the shortcut language keys in Windows so I can switch instantly between Hebrew, English and other languages, that speeds up entry substantially.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 10:02 PM

John Quant:
the search for "כל המקום" did not detect Exod 20:20 (which has an additional preposition "ב" attached in the front)

Used Phrase search "כל המקום" to find lemmas and roots so could transform search into:

root:כֹּל BEFORE 0 WORDS lemma:הַ BEFORE 0 WORDS root:קום

The Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear can show Manuscript, Lemmas, and Literal Translation, which was helpful to check phrase search results since have lot more Hebrew to learn.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS