New Reasons to Download the Free Logos App

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
A. E. Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 4:33 AM

The news is great for iphone. Are you working on Android?

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 6:09 AM

A. E. Pearson:

The news is great for iphone. Are you working on Android?

The Android version is on the way: http://logos.com/android  Read the previous posts in this thread there are a few other indicators as well.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 19
Vance Elzinga | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:34 PM

Yes, sorry guys but hearing about enhancements to the iPhone platform makes it hard to handle the lack of any news about Android.

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:03 PM

Thomas as you have stated the Android version is in the "works", but as others have mentioned that it has been in the "works" for some time. It would be nice rather than hearing some innoxuous tweets about it, that we start seeing some real hard evidence to see whewre it is at. I trust Logos to get it done, but there are more Android users out there than iPhone users. I personally had a Windows mobile phone for years and switched to Android about 3 weeks ago. I never expected Logos to do a Windows Mobile version as there are so few phone offerings, but Android is going to be the powerhouse phone OS.

I look forward to seeing more coming up on the Android version of the mobile app soon.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 26458
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:36 PM

okay, guys (and it is mainly guys), time to choose: do you want the developers working on the Android app or do you want them writing detailed status reports to travel up and down the ladder to give us instant updates? As users, we really don't have any right to be privy to this information. And as a retired IT type, I hated to be bugged for predicted completion dates when I knew any answer was garbage. You have estimates for "if everything goes right", you have estimates for various "unforeseen problems" and then you have the reality of what you currently have done and what your current difficulties are.

Give Logos a break and allow them to provide the information they see fit to provide when they see fit to provide it ... unless you are partnering with Logos on a really neat add-on feature.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 3:40 AM

Thankful for Logos 1.7 improvements on iOS devices Big Smile  Looking forward to History, Highlighting, and Note enhancements in future releases.  Logos is the primary application I use on my iPad.

Observation: Apple is the # 1 mobile device manufacturer worldwide.  Thankful Logos 1.7 works on iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch, including airplane resource use of Logos 4 library.

If buying an Android device primarily for Logos use, recommend waiting for Logos Android application(s) to ship first, then choose a good device for Logos use.  Android smart phones have a much wider range of capabilities; all good for phone calls, but suspect not all good for Logos (e.g. Highlighting).

Anticipating Logos announcement about Android application(s) being a few days prior to a stable version being shipped; essentially when release candidate(s) for various Android platform(s) show stable usability.  Likewise anticipate future updates to Android Application(s) being similar to progress happening in iOS application, more reasons to smile Geeked

Do remember Logos promising a date for initial Libronix application port to Mac, then missing that promised date by months.  Also remember seeing a tantalizing screen shot of Logos Mac application in progress that was followed by many months before public availability.  Now Logos does not promise a public release date that cannot be met; however "coming soon" has an unknown amount of time (ranging from days to years).

Android observation: smart phone sales provide good business case for Logos application on Android smart phones.  However, business case is currently lacking for Logos tablet application on Android.  Business Insider noted on 31 Mar that 50 Android applications were ready for tablet use (quite different than the 65,000 applications ready for iPad use).  Android tablet sales lag far behind iPad (along with similar size tablets costing more).

Future of Android appears intriguing: "Google Tightens Its Grip On Android, Infuriating Partners" and "Do not anger the Alpha Android"

Once Logos ships Android application(s), hoping to buy a good device for Logos use, which complements iPad use.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 7:02 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Thankful for Logos 1.7 improvements on iOS devices Big Smile  Looking forward to History, Highlighting, and Note enhancements in future releases.  Logos is the primary application I use on my iPad.

Observation: Apple is the # 1 mobile device manufacturer worldwide.  Thankful Logos 1.7 works on iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch, including airplane resource use of Logos 4 library.

Android users I understand your desire to want a working copy of Logos for your phone/tablet.  But, I can speak as a user of Logos on the iphone/ipad, and using the bare bone Logos app is not very exciting.  Sure, you can read on it, but it was not fluid until this 1.7 release, and I think it still needs to have highlighting and notes to make it a true study tool.

I hope for your sake Logos is going to give Android user's a COMPLETE program and not just bits and pieces of program that just frustrates you.

Out of my frustration of trying to use Logos on my ipad, I gave up, and bought a MacBook Air and it works great as a light weight alternative.  Even though I wish it were a tablet, but at least I can use all of the features.

Just some thoughts for Logos, don't release programs until they are fully functional.  It only leads people to frustration!

blessings,

Mike

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 10:22 AM

Thomas Black:
The Android version is on the way: http://logos.com/android 

I notice the picture shows non-justified text.  I wonder if that is as misleading as the blog post that started this thread.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:00 PM

Ken F Hill:
I notice the picture shows non-justified text.  I wonder if that is as misleading as the blog post that started this thread.

I don't believe the blog post is misleading in any way since it describes the new additions to the iphone app.

As for the picture on the android page that was "mocked up" with some kind of photoshop like program way back when iphone didn't show justified text and it was probably nothing more than a cut and paste bit of text from the desktop software just to demonstrate that something is happening.  

Even though I don't want to be patient... we must be patient :-)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 636
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:22 PM

MJD:

Android users I understand your desire to want a working copy of Logos for your phone/tablet.  But, I can speak as a user of Logos on the iphone/ipad, and using the bare bone Logos app is not very exciting.  Sure, you can read on it, but it was not fluid until this 1.7 release, and I think it still needs to have highlighting and notes to make it a true study tool.

I hope for your sake Logos is going to give Android user's a COMPLETE program and not just bits and pieces of program that just frustrates you.

blessings,

Mike

Mike,

I understand your point in this post. However to be fully honest I think the biggest frustration with the Android app process is that we do not even have a reader available. I remember using the IpodTouch version right after release with limited to no features in comparison to what the IOS app looks like now. That is all this user would be looking for right now.

I truly believe that if a simple Android app that allowed reading, searching and the downloading of our library were available there would be a huge thank you!!!

I do believe Logs is attempting to follow the pattern they did with V4 in working doubletime to get the Mac version caught up to have simultaneous releases, I wouldn't be surprised if that is their plan with the Android app to get it caught up with the IOS app... great plan....

However I also believe that most of us begging for the Android app would be thrilled with the simple reader version... I know for me personally I could care less about the highlighting and the power tools on my phone... Would it be cool... Sure! Would I use them... Possibly... But the ability to access my library in the palm of my hand for reading and simple searching on the go... Priceless!!!

Posts 2
Donald Pegler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 6:03 PM

Jayson, I am happy for you. I have downloaded the Logos ap to my 64gig i-pad touch. I am trying to download the new Logos update with no success. HELP!

I am using iTunes on a PC and that could be the problem. I am also in my 70s and find using Apple's iTunes baffling.

I click on the Logos download and an iTunes dialog box asks for an association. When I open that it takes me to what looks like a Windows Explorer menu with nothing that looks like a Logos association. Can you help me? I want to be able to use Logos on my i-Touch.

Don

dongeri@earthlink.net

Posts 2
Jim Peacock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 9:37 PM

Frank...AMEN!  You represented us well.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 1:04 AM

Frank Sauer:

MJD:

However I also believe that most of us begging for the Android app would be thrilled with the simple reader version... I know for me personally I could care less about the highlighting and the power tools on my phone... Would it be cool... Sure! Would I use them... Possibly... But the ability to access my library in the palm of my hand for reading and simple searching on the go... Priceless!!!

Anticipate Android application development to be like Logos iOS development; initial stable version followed by incremental improvements (over many months), with Android and iOS applications eventually having feature parity.

Wonder about http://Biblia.com for Android online reading of Logos library ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 1:13 AM

Donald Pegler:

I am using iTunes on a PC and that could be the problem. I am also in my 70s and find using Apple's iTunes baffling.

I click on the Logos download and an iTunes dialog box asks for an association. When I open that it takes me to what looks like a Windows Explorer menu with nothing that looks like a Logos association. Can you help me? I want to be able to use Logos on my i-Touch.

Apologies - not able to visualize association; iTunes screen shot(s) could be helpful.  Concur iTunes button placement and interaction can be bit confusing.

On Mac iTunes, clicked on Apps (left side), then clicked check for updates (bottom right), which showed available application updates, followed by clicking update all (upper right), entering password, then confirm update all.  After application updates downloaded, connected iPad to Mac, which backed up iPad and sync'd new applications to iPad (including Logos 1.7).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 1:52 AM

Great new features, I can hardly wait to get them on my Android!!!

Really the idea of getting those kind of features on my Android phones is unbelievable!  In the past I used a very good program on my pda, but I had a fair amount of money in it with under 100 resources, it looks like when the Android app comes out I will have access to more than 2250 of my resources, this would be great!

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 5:36 AM

Dan Higgins:
Vertical scrolling

I do on occasion find myself wishing I could vertically scroll a Bible. being able to advance forward one verse (Bible resource) or line (Book resource) with a two finger swipe would even be able to meet my needs.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 5:37 AM

blog:   'and “p47” will jump you to page 47.'

Alas, it won't!  It just reverts to where it was before.....

Dave says this bug will be fixed in a future release, which is encouraging - but PLEASE can you make this  future release a.s.a.p.?

Also I've had some problems moving to other resources in the history .  I tap it but sometimes the whole history screen disappears, leaving me where I was before.  Have had the same problem with the verse finder in the history section of the new app.  Unless the problem was that my finger had strayed off the verse I'd tapped to the name of the book.  I didn't have these particular problems before the update.  I hope these teething troubles will soon be sorted, so the enjoyment of the new features will no longer be marred by frustration that the old features are not working as well as they used  ot...

Posts 636
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 7:17 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Anticipate Android application development to be like Logos iOS development; initial stable version followed by incremental improvements (over many months), with Android and iOS applications eventually having feature parity.

Wonder about http://Biblia.com for Android online reading of Logos library ?

Keep Smiling Smile

For the amount of time it has taken, I truly hope that the stable release has caught up to the IOS version...

As for biblia.com or library.logos.com, they are what they are - websites... They are nowhere near the functionality of an App. The clicking an arrow to get to the next page and waiting for it to load is annoying and not the best use of my time, especially considering some of the free options out there for Android. With today's Android phones if it doesn't load the resource and allow page flipping with a swipe then it is behind the times...

I hope they do release at least beta very soon... I'm ready for some real beat action again Cool

Haven't had a new feature filled beta in a long time with V4 so the Android beta will be a great new toy... :)

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 8:34 AM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

Great new features, I can hardly wait to get them on my Android!!!

Really the idea of getting those kind of features on my Android phones is unbelievable!  In the past I used a very good program on my pda, but I had a fair amount of money in it with under 100 resources, it looks like when the Android app comes out I will have access to more than 2250 of my resources, this would be great!

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

You will likely have access to over 1000 of them maybe even over 2000 of them but almost certainly not all of them. 

You will have no access to anything that has been discontinued like the old Daily Study Bible, you will have no access to: Bible Knowledge Commentary Harpers com/dic, Matthew Henry, New International Version of the Bible and many others. These have to do with contract issues and it is unknown when or if any of these items will become available. To know what is missing you can get a pretty good idea signing into biblia.com and seeing what resources you have there. It is still a very useful thing just not complete.

-dan

Posts 40
Gabriel Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:03 AM

Major feature request. It would be super helpful to have a batch download feature. An iPad update failed and I had to start all over. Apparently the offline books weren't synced with iTunes (should they be?), but now I have to go through a ton of books I want available offline.

I have a Wi-Fi only iPad, and I bought it primarily for Logos, so I want to download a ton of books to have available offline. But I can't go one-by-one... it's very painful.

Please enable some kind of batch-loading. Could you do with custom collections synced from Logos4? Could you set offline books in Logos4? However you do it... please do it!

Many thanks in advance.

Laptop: Windows 7 Professional x64, Intel Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600

Home: Vista Ultimate x86,  AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Work: Windows 7 x64, Intel Dual-Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon X1300/X1550

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS