Can I safely uninstall Logos 4 Prerequisites after a successful install?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 25
Greg Walker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2011 6:11 PM

Successfully installed Logos 4 on my Asus Slate.  The 65g hard drive is already half full, so I'm looking to eliminate unnecessary programs.

Does Logos 4 require the "Logos 4 Prerequisites" program to remain installed after the program is successfully installed?  If I uninstall the Prerequisites program, will Logos 4 still run correctly?

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere; I checked the FAQs, wiki, and searched to no avail.

Thanks,

Greg Walker

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 6:43 PM

Greg Walker:

Successfully installed Logos 4 on my Asus Slate.  The 65g hard drive is already half full, so I'm looking to eliminate unnecessary programs.

Does Logos 4 require the "Logos 4 Prerequisites" program to remain installed after the program is successfully installed?  If I uninstall the Prerequisites program, will Logos 4 still run correctly?

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere; I checked the FAQs, wiki, and searched to no avail.

Thanks,

Greg Walker

A better solution would be to get another HD either as a replacement or as a second HD.  You can never have too much so long as your OS can access it.  HDs aren't at all difficult to install, but you need to be sure you have a disk with your OS handy to install on it or you'll be dead in the water.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 6:57 PM

George Somsel:
A better solution would be to get another HD either as a replacement or as a second HD.  You can never have too much so long as your OS can access it.  HDs aren't at all difficult to install, but you need to be sure you have a disk with your OS handy to install on it or you'll be dead in the water.

I don't think you can install a second HD on an Asus Slate. It's a tablet PC, small on purpose.

Greg, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about prerequisites, and couldn't find it with a cursory search of the forums. You could try to uninstall and if it breaks Logos, then you'll know the answer. And we'd then all know and could post the answer on the wiki for future reference. And you could get yourself back up and running relatively quickly by using Method 2 on http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers (assuming you have another computer with Logos installed on it, or at least plenty of disk space to copy your resource files from your Slate for now so you can copy them back quickly without having to download again).

Posts 25
Greg Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 8:15 PM

Rosie:  You are correct...no place to install another HD.  There's talk of being able to bump it to at least a 100G solid state drive, but I've had it less than a week, so I'm not feeling that adventurous yet.

I'll consider being the guinea pig, but only after this week.  First I want to see if anyone else has input, and second, I want to finish my two research papers before I crash Logos.  Big Smile

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 9:44 PM

If I remember right, when L4 first came out, prerequisites did some system checking before installation. However I just checked programs under the Control Panel and the install date is the latest update. So go figure. This sounds like the old program 'Get Smart' where agent 86 wants to know what a knob on the dashboard does.

Posts 59
Todd White | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:00 PM

I wouldn't recommend it, we wouldn't make them Prerequisites if you didn't need them Wink.

I don't remember everything we install with the prerequisites. I know Fonts like SBL Hebrew are part of them and I think the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime as well.

Posts 25
Greg Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:13 PM

Todd:  Sounds like you're one of the programmer/developer types?  I was hoping you guys cruised through here every once in a while!

On the semantic side, the name could mean "prerequisites for installing", or "prerequisites for operating"...Wink

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:58 PM

Greg Walker:

Rosie:  You are correct...no place to install another HD.  There's talk of being able to bump it to at least a 100G solid state drive, but I've had it less than a week, so I'm not feeling that adventurous yet.

I'll consider being the guinea pig, but only after this week.  First I want to see if anyone else has input, and second, I want to finish my two research papers before I crash Logos.  Big Smile

If you can manage to upgrade to a 100G drive, I would recommend that.  You must have a fair amount of material other than Logos on your slate to have a 64G HD half full.  If you have a second computer, I would recommend making the slate almost exclusively a Logos machine with your other programs on a larger PC.  You might want to keep a few things such as Word in addition to Logos and the OS.  I just checked and, if the Logos files are located together on my PC, it takes about 15G for what I have.  I realize that many have considerably more than I since I have culled out a lot of material. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:10 AM

Greg Walker:

Appears Asus Slate has a couple storage expansion options:

2 x USB 2.0 port

1 x Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC/SDXC)

SDXC cards are available in 64 GB and 128 GB capacities.  SDHC cards are available in 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, and 32 GB capacities.  Storage card fits inside Asus Slate so would not change tablet usage.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24961
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 3:18 AM

Greg Walker:
On the semantic side, the name could mean "prerequisites for installing", or "prerequisites for operating"...Wink

I would take it to mean both! Anything that requires Admin privilege is installed by Prerequisites eg. fonts, as that allows Logos4 to install and update without Admin elevation. Try to eliminate 20 MB somewhere else  [a utility called CCleaner could eliminate that much regularly as it gets rid of useless/temporary files put there by applications, including Windows].

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2011 3:25 PM

Funny thing concerning this thread...  

I did that very thing the other day.  Logos crashed and burned.  Wouldn't even open.  As soon as I reinstalled Prerequisites, Logos would run again.

So the short answer to your question is...   NO!  Logos will not run without it!  Trust me! Wink

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2011 3:33 PM

Jems:

Funny thing concerning this thread...  

I did that very thing the other day.  Logos crashed and burned.  Wouldn't even open.  As soon as I reinstalled Prerequisites, Logos would run again.

So the short answer to your question is...   NO!  Logos will not run without it!  Trust me! Wink

Thanks for being the guinea pig. And it's good to know that all you need to do to fix it is reinstall Prerequisites; you don't have to completely reinstall Logos.

EDIT: I added this to the Installation and Indexing FAQs page on the wiki.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS