NASB95 paragraph spacing

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 133
Piet Huttenga | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:25 PM

I would appreciate if the NASB95 could be updated in such a way that it would have the original paragraph spacing. Since I am working in the field of Bible Translation this is important to me. Also the way the bible is divided into paragraphs forms part of the translation.

Blessings,

Piet

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 10:38 PM

This seems like a recent thing that was broken in the March 24, 2011 update. I've used the NASB95 before and I thought I remembered it as having paragraphs, not single separate verses like it does now. I agree. Please put back the paragraphs!

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 6:37 PM

I've been reading the NASB for years, and in both my print versions and electronic versions I've never seen it formatted by paragraph.  In other words, if the  publisher never released it with paragraph formatting in the first place, then it may be doubtful that Logos could add that without permission from the publisher at a minimum and an agreement to do the work effort to add it in.  That said, there are pericope divisions in the text which may help somewhat towards mimicking paragraph divisions.  Personally, I like having the verse-by-verse breakout because I find it visually helpful for studying and teaching.  I've noticed that in other translations, such as ESV, you have to select "Bible Text Only" within Logos in order to change from the default paragraph formatting that ESV has over to verse-by-verse formatting.  But you lose the note number markups and the passage reference letter markups when selecting verse-by-verse formatting in the ESV via "Bible Text Only".  What I think Logos needs to do is provide "Paragraph Format" and "Verse-by-Verse Format" as a separate and distinct higher priority choice from that of "Bible Text Only".  Such a change may not help the situation for folks like Piet who want to see the paragraph formatting when the publisher may have never done so in their published Bible translation, but for those published translations that did have paragraph formatting, such as the ESV, at least we would not be forced to lose the markup letters and numbers when switching over to "verse-by-verse" formatting as happens now.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2011 6:46 PM

My print NASB is formatted by paragraphs... but, for as long as I've had the NASB in Logos (since v.3) it's never been paragraphed; instead, they simply note a new paragraph by bolding the verse number.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS