The Possibility of a Book Review Wiki or Forum

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:34 AM

Has anyone ever considered a forum, a post or someplace where user's can review Logos books? I find myself overwhelmed at the amount of titles that Logos offers and i am trying to get a plan together as to what to purchase. It would be of great help if those who have been exposed to wider assortment of books, or have a larger library to give recommendations concerning what they have found useful from the wide spectrum of topics that Logos has available.

This is spurred by a limited budget, (I am at my first pastorate, in a small church in rural Georgia.) and am trying to prioritize what i buy at the moment (My current priority is upgrading from silver base package to the platinum package). With all the sales going on I am trying to buy wisely not impulsively. I would find it incredibly useful if their was something like the Wiki that held reviews for commentary sets; individual commentary reviews within commentary sets, reviews for monographs and so on and so forth. I have found it easier to find reviews on commentaries than monographs as sometimes the monographs can be obscure or there isn't alot of info to be found.

I appreciate the community that has surrounded Logos products, it really has set it apart than any other Bible software I have tried. I am more of a lurker, I guess you could say, and this was more thinking out loud than anything as I am going back and forth over what to buy from the Logos march madness and the facebook sale and trying to find out info about these books other than whats listed on the Logos site. Thanks.

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:40 AM

Jeremy Tondee:
Has anyone ever considered a forum, a post or someplace where user's can review Logos books?

Some kind forum users have already started one here Yes :

http://wiki.logos.com/Resource_Review

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:40 AM
Let me ask a dumb question. How do you space between paragraphs? My orig. post had spaces so it was not a wall of text but when posted it came out with all the spaces removed? sorry to post so quickly after my first post and to already go off topic Thanks for the reply, I guessed i overlooked that on the wiki. Thanks for your help
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:40 AM

Wiki has New item: Logos Resource Reviews - includes Base Package comparisons

Forum post: New Wiki 'Resource Reviews' - Comments/Suggestions

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:41 AM

See this thread about reviews on the Logos wiki: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/31143/230905.aspx#230905

The actual wiki page is here: http://wiki.logos.com/Resource_Review

However, Amazon has been my best friend in providing a good selection of reviews.  Plus you can always ask on the forum why people value a resource.  It happens pretty regularly here, especially for Community Pricing and Prepub items.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:42 AM

Jeremy Tondee:
How do you space between paragraphs?

I hit my enter key where I want a new paragraph and

it looks

this.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:49 AM

Jeremy Tondee:
How do you space between paragraphs?

Wiki has Using the Forums page

Also have learned to use Preview button before posting since forum web editor sometimes chooses divisions instead of paragraphs (can click html button, then change div tags to p), after update html, click Preview to check again before posting (can click Compose to return to editing).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the info.  I am always fearful of posting because usually a great deal is found in the wiki that if i had been a tad bit more diligent i could have found.

As far as posting and paragraphs i found that in Chrome i do not have all the options at the top of the message box but i am now in firefox 4 i see all the formatting options. So I think that was the problem.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 11:26 AM

Jeremy ... if you're not too thrilled with making your own book review on the wiki, go ahead and do it on the forum and I'll make the pages to match. Your thoughts are worth reading.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 11:58 AM

Jeremy Tondee:
I guess you could say, and this was more thinking out loud than anything as I am going back and forth over what to buy from the Logos march madness and the facebook sale and trying to find out info about these books other than whats listed on the Logos site. Thanks.

Observation: Facebook sale ends April 12.  March Madness ends April 15.  December is coming (past couple years have included discounted base package upgrades).  Current sale items are not included in base package.

Personally, wallet crying while buying Essential IVP Reference Collection (Facebook 50 % off) and Studies in Early Cristology (March Madness 75 % off) to add to Scholar's Platinum.

Community pricing offers best Logos resource deals => http://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Community+Pricing&start=&sort=progress&pageSize=30 as Logos users bid on items for Logos to produce, when enough bids have been placed to cover production costs, a minimum of 2 days more bidding is allowed (potentially lower price).  Once Community pricing bid completes (at Noon Pacific time on a Friday), resource moves to pre-publication while being prepared for Logos use, eventually shipping (months to years later).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS