JESUS IS GOD

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 31273
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 1:30 PM

JRS:
Scripture is my recommendation.  Sola scriptura.

Effective only if the wife accepts the sola scriptura doctrine.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 825
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 3:21 PM

Regardless of whether or not the wife (or anyone else for that matter) accepts the concept of sola scriptura, I would still recommend the Scriptures as the sole, authoritative source for learning about Christ.  I doubt that there is any person who was accepting of the notion of sola scriptura when he or she first heard of Christ, and yet, the Spirit uses that Word (regardless of the person's acceptance/rejection/or knowledge of ss) to efficaciously call the lost.  Yes, there are commentaries, and there are theologies, and perhaps one might even say that a person's lifestyle or experiences reflect some aspect of Christ ... but to the extent that any of these things are properly informed about Christ, it is because they are based on the scriptures.  So why suggest secondary or tertiary sources of dubious reliability to the exclusion of the primary?

JRS has left the building.

Posts 1028
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 3:39 PM

JRS:

Regardless of whether or not the wife (or anyone else for that matter) accepts the concept of sola scriptura, I would still recommend the Scriptures as the sole, authoritative source for learning about Christ.  I doubt that there is any person who was accepting of the notion of sola scriptura when he or she first heard of Christ, and yet, the Spirit uses that Word (regardless of the person's acceptance/rejection/or knowledge of ss) to efficaciously call the lost.  Yes, there are commentaries, and there are theologies, and perhaps one might even say that a person's lifestyle or experiences reflect some aspect of Christ ... but to the extent that any of these things are properly informed about Christ, it is because they are based on the scriptures.  So why suggest secondary or tertiary sources of dubious reliability to the exclusion of the primary?

What about 1 Thess 2:8?  "We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 3:58 PM

Anyone else notice that the OP is not interacting with this thread?

Walter, are you paying attention here?

Is this helping? Do you need any more help beyond what's been offered already?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3613
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 6:54 PM

Hi Walter,

We haven't heard back from you since you first posted your request. After reading all of our suggestions, any comments from your end??

mm.

Posts 3613
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 7:59 PM

Looking at Walter's other post (Walter Roski Posted: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:12 PMWHERE CAN I FIND IN LOGOS HOW MANY PEOPLE GOT OUT OF EGYPT WIHT MOSES) I'm not sure if he's really looking for a response from us. At least he might want to reply in some form or another.

Maybe a 'I got your posts' or he may simply be an area that regulates internet activity or something else might be behind his writings -  - I wonder.

mm.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 3:16 AM

Or more likely, uncertain how forums work.  I think we're done here until Walter responds.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1
PreachTheGospel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 4:29 PM

THE WORD became flesh. Not God. Read what is really written in the Bible. The people made up their own doctrine claiming that Jesus is God. Jesus said himself that he has a God. And he said of himself that he is the SON of God. Why not just believe him? This article explains it very well.

https://www.staybiblical.com/jesus-is-not-god/

Posts 31273
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 4:41 PM

Welcome to the Logos software forums where we discuss the use of Faithlife software products. The guidelines are available at: Forum Guidelines - Faithlife Forums (logos.com)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 361
Raphael | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 7:19 PM

Dear Walter,

In fact you don't need any biblesoftware or commentary to show your wife the truth about Gods Son. Read with her Gods Word, explain it to her and pray with her and for her. Trust in the revelation trough Gods Holy Spirit. She will see it if God opens her heart for it. There is nor other way. 

God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him.  John Piper

Posts 4832
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2020 7:37 PM

MJ. Smith:
The guidelines are available at: Forum Guidelines - Faithlife Forums (logos.com)

I suggest particular attention to the second one:

Forum Guidelines:
2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.

“I want you to know how the people should behave in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” - 1 Timothy 3:15 (EOB:NT).

Posts 333
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 3:04 AM

Hi Walter, if you have Logos I suggest you do a search "Jesus is God" to see what you have in your library. This is what mine returned with 1,488 results in 660 resources: Prayers for you and your wife!

Posts 7850
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 5:56 AM

And now a 2011 thread has been resurrected (among other old threads).  Yep, 2020 has been a very peculiar year 😂😂😂

Posts 675
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 7:31 AM

MJ. Smith:

Welcome to the Logos software forums where we discuss the use of Faithlife software products. The guidelines are available at: Forum Guidelines - Faithlife Forums (logos.com)

As soon as someone posts an unpopular view, the posting guidelines are invoked. I see how it works.

Posts 31273
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 24 2020 11:47 AM

Into Grace:
As soon as someone posts an unpopular view, the posting guidelines are invoked. I see how it works.

As soon as a first time forum user posts off-topic, they are gently directed to the guidelines as requested by Faithlife. I see how it "works.". Do enjoy your religious celebration.

Note: I assume you noticed that the first time forum poster revived a nine year old thread causing a spam red flag alert in my head.

Posts 973
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 10:36 AM

DAL:

And now a 2011 thread has been resurrected (among other old threads).  Yep, 2020 has been a very peculiar year 😂😂😂

I thought it was Christmas, not Easter. lol 

Posts 344
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 1:13 PM

Well not to be a contrarian... but...

I would take a different approach to teaching someone that does not believe ... Here's what I have done and would do....

I believe the faith God wants us to have must come from the Bible therefore I start with Romans 10:17. Let them read the verse and then let them explain what they think it means. Get them involved with God's Word.

Next, I would go to Hebrews 11:1-2. Generally, faith in God, to most people, means we believe in something we cannot see. While no man has seen God at any time, John 1:18, man must believe in God. How is this accomplished? Through the "evidences" (Heb 1:1-2) that God has given us. Tell them "I have never seen your brain, can you prove to me that you have one"? We know they have a brain because of the evidences they show that is because of their brain, thus we know they have a brain. What evidences does God give us about Himself?  Trees, son shine, the earth, the heavens, etc are all evidences of God.

They need to understand also that the Bible is all about giving us evidences about God so we will believe in Him. And notice Hebrews 11:3. Let them read it for themselves.

Next I would now help them understand that faith from the evidences is to show God but also to show His Son Jesus Christ. For this I would go to John 3:36 and to John 8:24 to show whom they must focus their faith. Without faith in Jesus, they will not get to heaven. 

And I would lead them to Hebrews 3:4. A house cannot build itself, neither can the earth and the heavens, but He that built all things is God. Have you ever seen a house build itself? Neither have I.

Now, there are many evidences in the Bible which I have left out of this and if needed, you should look them up and be ready to show them. Faith without the evidences God provides is just blind faith. God doesn't want blind faith, He wants people to believe He is the God and has given them all the evidences they need, if they will just look.

Belief alone does not save anyone. Look at James 2:19 for proof. The demons believed but were not saved. So to be saved the Bible teaches there is more. But for sure, the first step is that one must believe in Jesus Christ being the Son of God.

I'll be glad to carry this further if you want to contact me privately. Not sure if FL wants this to  be carried on on the forum like this. 

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 7850
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 1:21 PM

xnman, unfortunately, no theological discussions are allowed in the forums.  Some have gotten very heated in the past and it does more harm than good.  But, I do understand the steps.

This book is really helpful to understand how one is saved.  It will be on sale individually sometime soon: https://www.logos.com/product/204152/the-bible-only-makes-christians-only-and-the-only-christians 

DAL

Posts 344
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 1:25 PM

DAL...

Thanks for the reminder...   I have that book in my bookcase and I agree it is a great book. I did not know it was in Logos... I will definitely buy it. 

Thanks again

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 7850
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 25 2020 1:30 PM

xnman:

DAL...

Thanks for the reminder...   I have that book in my bookcase and I agree it is a great book. I did not know it was in Logos... I will definitely buy it. 

Thanks again

The Thomas B. Warren just came out of prepub after a few years of struggling to make it out of there.  The Warren—Flew debate is not included, unfortunately, but many other useful books are! 
Here’s the link to the collection: https://www.logos.com/product/54050/thomas-b-warren-collection 

DAL

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS