Help with my computer temp reading

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:20 PM

I have a new laptop ASUS G73jh  i7 740 and am concerned about temp readout i am getting. Not that much up on (Cel) but the (Far) looks a little hot to me however its not uncomfortable on my lap. Would some of you computer experts help me with this?

And if you dont mind look at the other numbers below and tell me if anything is abnormail.

Thanks

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:28 PM

I have an Asus G60-jx I5 Processor and those temps are actually pretty standard for a laptop especially an i7 processor as they tend to generate more heat - my core processors temps range anywhere from 35-45 C depending on the load.

You must remember also that a laptop is a cramped space so the heat will normally be higher than a desktop.  Plus they make laptop components to resist heat better than desktop.

When i run something graphic intensive my gpu runs 85 degrees C and ive been told it can resist even higher temps than that.  

I am not an expert though i just know a little bit about Asus product and have read a bit about your particular model

I was heat paranoid when i first bought my laptop. It kinda goes with the territory of a gaming laptop, the increased system specs will lead to increased heat.  But the extra computing power is wonderful for graphic intensive programs and Logos 4.

I learned alot about my model and yours from http://forum.notebookreview.com/ they have an asus laptop lounge where you can learn alot about your model of laptop.

Posts 2874
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:37 PM

Get something to get the laptop off your lap.  You might block the cooling vents with it on your lap.  A quarter inch (6 mm or so - don't have my slide rule handy) plywood works if you can not find anything in the store.  overall the size of the laptop - with some room for your mouse if you use it - cut in half with some hinges [tape also works] so that it folds to fit in your case works.        But most likely Logos was indexing - will use 100% of up to 4 cores. 

Posts 102
Charles Tondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:40 PM

Oh yeah i bought a laptop cooling pad that had 3 fans also to help with heat management. and I haven't had any problems in the year ive had mine

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 4:56 PM

Your laptop is running very cool. You can Google it, but I can tell you that the I7 740 runs full out up to 100 degrees C. (yours are at 46.) At 100, the circuitry will start throttling down the speed to control the temperature., proving that is the max. So you have nothing to worry about.

Also, your system is so below the max, I suspect your readings are not quite that accurate (I say this so you don't try to figure out how to get it 5 degrees cooler, that's a waste of time). And here is why -- readings can be inaccurate due to inaccuracies in the CPU temperature sensors themselves, which software accesses to display these temperatures. These sensors were designed to safeguard the CPU from overheating, so they are highly accurate as the CPU approaches the maximum safe temperature. As the CPUs run cooler, they are known to have a lower degree of accuracy.

Don't sweat it - you are fine.

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:13 PM

Ok, 

I know these things can be a little worrisome.  Dominick is right, your laptop is running cool.  Heck, my DESKTOP is only 5 degrees under yours, (of course, that's because i have oc'd the snot out of it on air).

Anyway...  If you aren't yet relieved, let me give you a bit more technical help (Dominick was right again, but this way, you can see it for yourself).

1.  T Junction.  The maximum T Junction for your chip is 100 deg. Celsius.  That means that at 100 C., your computer will shut down (that event is called THERMTRIP).  While you can run at any temp under that, the higher the temp, the less life your chip will have.

2.  Most processors should stay under 75C for longevity (give or take a few degrees, older ones should stay a lot cooler, but i7's run hotter).  However, if your processor goes over that once in a while, it's ok.  If it starts doing it often, then call the company (or stop using it in the sauna!).

3.  The other number you have to worry about is Tcase. Tjunction is the temperature of the actual cores which are doing the processing, Tcase is the CPU temperature as read in the BIOS.  Usually, the safe level is 60c or 72c depending on the chip.  I notice that you don't have the CPU temp on your status. However,your CPU temp will be lower than your Core temp (your highest core temp is only 53c).  

So, in other words, you are doing absolutely fine.  

BTW- thanks for showing me that program.  I downloaded it and started using it instead of RealTemp.  I like it quite a bit.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS