Program install location

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 566
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 9:11 AM

I just installed Logos 4 and it installed itself into my "Documents and Settings" folder!!!!!  I'm using Windows XP and I have never had a program install into that folder.  Is there a reason for this?  Did this happen to anyone else?

At this point, I'm wondering should I uninstall it and force it to install into the program files folder?

BTW, I do have version 3.0f installed, and it appears to not have been messed with at all

John

Posts 2701
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 9:17 AM

I think I would uninstall and choose custom install, have a look at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3193.aspx second post, before you uninstall should help you avoid downloading all those resources again.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 1634
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 9:19 AM

This is normal behavior, and frankly I haven't messed with it.  I suppose it isn't really an issue for us XP users, but it is useful for later versions of Windows because it makes it possible to update without sysadmin rights.

Logos 4 is designed to work on the same machine as 3.0f.  In fact it has for two months here.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 9:21 AM

JohnKaess:

I just installed Logos 4 and it installed itself into my "Documents and Settings" folder!!!!!  I'm using Windows XP and I have never had a program install into that folder.  Is there a reason for this?  Did this happen to anyone else?

At this point, I'm wondering should I uninstall it and force it to install into the program files folder?

BTW, I do have version 3.0f installed, and it appears to not have been messed with at all

John

John,

My understanding is that it installs there to avoid hassles with "rights" in Vista. I don't know about Windows 7. Because it is in your documents/profile/user controlled area, with Vista, you don't have to have elevated permission everytime there is an update/upgrade.

Chris

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 9:22 AM

JohnKaess:

John

There had been some discussion on that and Bob explained the reasons. It is connected somehow to the cloud updating etc. I would leave it as it is. In Vista it is in the Users folder and there is no problem with that. This way also it does not mess up with v3. It is totally separate program.

Bohuslav

Posts 1697
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:00 AM

JohnKaess:

No. :-)

Like Google Chrome and other applications that automatically update over the Internet, we install into a user directory. This means you don't need to elevate permissions in order to install updates, and segregates each user's settings and licenses on machines that use multiple user accounts.

We STRONGLY recommend going with the default installation.

Posts 566
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:37 PM

Thanks, Bob.  I do appreciate the timely reply.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS