If I upgrade to Platinum, can I transfer my existing Pillar license to someone else?

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:35 AM

Bob Pritchett:
But even in those upgrade collections we're offering you, you're only paying for the new resources. (And, as someone who worked the pricing spreadsheets, I can assure you you'll rarely see so much good content at such a good price. The Logos 4 collection upgrades are probably the best "books for the dollar" values we have ever offered!)

That clarifies both questions I asked, I think.

So:

1. Our upgrade price takes into account resources in the new boxed set, that we purchased separately.
  2. We may not sell our separately purchased materials, without endagering our current price for an upgrad/crossgrade, or violating the EULA.

Is that correct?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:40 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Joe Miller:
Passing the license off to another user for a single set means the publisher and/or Logos is losing money on that deal.  Logos wont stay in business long doing things that way.

Joe, just clarifying: you mean that if have bought a set as a stand alone (like BECNT), that if I sell that off to upgrade to a package (like new Gold or Platinum, etc) which includes that set that I just sold, as well as many other offerings, that I am taking money away from Logos?

No, I was only referring to sets that are part of packages.  

If the set was not part of a package, you should be able to transfer it.  I think the Logos cost is $20/transfer.  However, my GUESS, is that there still may be some restrictions from certain publishers. The only way to know for sure is on a case by case basis to call customer support and ask about s specific license transfer.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:40 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

I have already purchased every resource in the minimalcrossgrade. Why should I have to purchase them again? I'm canceling my prepubs right now!

William.

I'm sure there is some kind of problem with the way the website is presenting your upgrade options.

Bob told another customer to call him directly in a different post. Since he's made it public, I think it fair to say call him:

Bob said: You can call me directly at 800-875-6467 if that doesn't work and I'll try to help you.

This whole upgrade/download/index thing will test your patience. I think you need to exercise a lot right now.

Chris

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:43 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:
I have already purchased every resource in the minimalcrossgrade. Why should I have to purchase them again? I'm canceling my prepubs right now!
No, William, you have NOT already purchased them all because there are some resources that are brand new and ONLY work in 4.0 so you do not have them in 3.0.  Your anger is clouding your perception of the matter brother.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:44 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

You don't have to (to answer your question).  I posted the link for upgrading the software at no charge (http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe )

You seemed determined to be upset.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 818
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:49 AM

I'm still not clear from Bob's reply if the upgrade price is discounted when certain included resources had already been purchased as standalones.

Is the upgrade price calculated individually for each user, and if so, how is it calculated?

Thanks
Richard

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:56 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

That page needs to be updated to mention the biblical people, places, and things reports, as well as maps and the controlled vocabulary system. You don't have these resources already because they were never available until today.

If you want to just download the engine for free, you can here:

http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe 

Again, we haven't broken our promise about free readers and not requiring you to repurchase your resources. It's still the same. We're just recommending you do at least the minimal upgrade (which does deliver more than enough value for the price, I believe), and hoping many users will choose to take advantage of great pricing to acquire more resources.

Because it costs a lot (millions each year) to keep upgrading the engine we provide for free, and we need to sell some books to cover that cost! :-)

Separate issue: tes, the pricing of upgrades is customized to each user, and takes into account prior purchases. When you buy the upgrade you're not getting a second license to any books, just paying for the books that are new to you.

-- Bob

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:56 AM

Bob Pritchett:
But even in those upgrade collections we're offering you, you're only paying for the new resources. (And, as someone who worked the pricing spreadsheets, I can assure you you'll rarely see so much good content at such a good price. The Logos 4 collection upgrades are probably the best "books for the dollar" values we have ever offered!)

I echo that.  Even though I have certain resources already (like BECNT) and several others on the new package I don't really desire, I still locate 2-3 books (to Gold, to Platinum) that in purchase alone are more than worth the price I pay to upgrade, BESIDES the fact that I get many other books, a brand new version of Logos, etc.  And if you are starting from scratch, you are getting a heck of a deal for them all.  (think about it, I just bought a pre-pub of NICOT/NT, just 8o+ volumes for $1000.  Anyone can buy the current Gold for 1400 (give or take) and that includes MANY commentary sets (complete and partial) dictionaries, bibles, leadership books, etc.  And those are not just fluff or public domain, they are fantastic volumes like Beales NIGCNT on Revelation, BDAG, etc etc etc.

So, even though I am seeing what I can do within my own dollar limit, I in no way feel like I am being slighted or being hurt, or (certainly not) being deceived by Logos.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:01 AM

Bob Pritchett:

... Separate issue: tes, the pricing of upgrades is customized to each user, and takes into account prior purchases. When you buy the upgrade you're not getting a second license to any books, just paying for the books that are new to you.

-- Bob

I can confirm this based on my own upgrade quote! It is indeed personalized to reflect all the crossover resources I've added! Thank you and Logos very much!

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:05 AM

Joe Miller:
No, William, you have NOT already purchased them all because there are some resources that are brand new and ONLY work in 4.0 so you do not have them in 3.0.  Your anger is clouding your perception of the matter brother.

I agree.  The add-ins they create and are exclusive to Logos are pretty valuable.  Regardless of some of the book tools in that set you may want to own.  I am sorry if my own angling for the best deal (ie, what I can sell, what I can't) has added to this perception that Logos has somehow pulled one over on us.  They have a great product and continue to improve every single year.

Download the FREE 4.0 engine and see if it doesn't show great value to you.  I have yet to do it myself, but have looked at the videos for it.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:09 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
I have yet to do it myself, but have looked at the videos for it.

Time to go for it Daniel Smile Have fun with the indexing. I just finished indexing after upgrading to Platinum. Great stuff.

Bohuslav

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:20 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

A personalized discount appears at checkout.  For example:

Upgrade Scholar's Library: Gold (ND) to Scholar's Library: Platinum (LE) is $500 list, my “personalized upgrade discount” price is $425.

I have Gold v3 with some of the costly works included in the Platinum set such as: Pillar, BECNT, Hendriksen’s NTC, Ency. of Christianity vol 4, and others.  These are apparently worth a mere $75 credit toward Platinum.   In my case, it doesn’t appear financially sensible to get the Platinum package to get some of the additional Platinum resources.

Since some of my purchases were made by telephone and don’t appear in my online order history.  I called Logos to make sure they were considered in the calculation of my discount.  I was told that the credit was determined by considering “existing resource “activations”. 

Also, the upgrade discount is based on what resources you have right now.  “No license transfers until after the first of the year.” 

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:24 AM

Bob,

The upgrade price might be good if all I had purchased from Logos was the Scholar's Gold Library. But in addition to the Scholar's Gold, I have made 45 other purchases from Logos for a total of $2631.20. This does not count what I have bought from third party vendors. The upgrade to Logos 4 seems to only be giving me credit for the Scholar’s Gold library and no credit for the other 45 purchases that I have made!

Bill Gordon

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:34 AM

I think you need to call Logos- I believe you are misunderstanding what is being said, let someone there assure you are not buying your present books again, please call them.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:36 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

Bob,

The upgrade price might be good if all I had purchased from Logos was the Scholar's Gold Library. But in addition to the Scholar's Gold, I have made 45 other purchases from Logos for a total of $2631.20. This does not count what I have bought from third party vendors. The upgrade to Logos 4 seems to only be giving me credit for the Scholar’s Gold library and no credit for the other 45 purchases that I have made!

Bill Gordon

In some cases, some licenses were not transferred properly to a user's Logos account. You may need to contact Logos support to correct this. I'm not sure that the upgrade package includes any 3rd party resources, but you should be getting credit for the Logos resources that are included in the upgrade packages.

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:36 AM

Scott S:
I have Gold v3 with some of the costly works included in the Platinum set such as: Pillar, BECNT, Hendriksen’s NTC, Ency. of Christianity vol 4, and others.  These are apparently worth a mere $75 credit toward Platinum.   In my case, it doesn’t appear financially sensible to get the Platinum package to get some of the additional Platinum resources.

I'm with you Scott.  Platinum is a fantastic deal provided you haven't already bought most of the separate resources already. I'd recommend it to anyone who is new to Logos, provided it fit their budget.

It's still a good deal if I really wanted the all the additional stuff I don't have. (Simeon, Pink, Berkouwer, Bunyan).  But those aren't even on my wishlist.  Somebody tell me why I should want those.  I'd like a reason to upgrade.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:38 AM

According to the website The Minimal Crossgrade Includes:

Resources

•GOD’S WORD translation (Don’t know what it is and I don’t want it.)

•ESV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear Bible (Got it already)

•The Holman Christian Standard Bible (Got it already)

•Traveling in the Holy Land (Don’t know what it is and I don’t want it.)

•The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of the Authorized English Version (Got it already)

•1000 Bible Images (Got it already)

•5 lectionaries (I’m not sure what this includes but I already have six lectionaries in my current library.)

Addins

•Timelines (Got it already)

•Bible Tools Addin (Got it already)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:45 AM

Todd Phillips:
It's still a good deal if I really wanted the all the additional stuff I don't have. (Simeon, Pink, Berkouwer, Bunyan).  But those aren't even on my wishlist.  Somebody tell me why I should want those.  I'd like a reason to upgrade.

Well, my father-in-law loves Pink (I'm not quite as impressed, but he's a fairly readable spokesman for Reformed theology).

Berkouwer is an excellent Dutch Reformed theologian. Some very meaty stuff there. Some of his books were required reading in seminary (Calvin Theological Seminary).

I can't comment on the other two, since I've never read them.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:56 AM

WilliamEGordonJr:

According to the website The Minimal Crossgrade Includes:

Resources

•GOD’S WORD translation (Don’t know what it is and I don’t want it.)

•ESV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear Bible (Got it already)

•The Holman Christian Standard Bible (Got it already)

•Traveling in the Holy Land (Don’t know what it is and I don’t want it.)

•The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of the Authorized English Version (Got it already)

•1000 Bible Images (Got it already)

•5 lectionaries (I’m not sure what this includes but I already have six lectionaries in my current library.)

Addins

•Timelines (Got it already)

•Bible Tools Addin (Got it already)

Bill,

As Bob said above, the website is out of date as of today. Give them a call and let them explain it all to you. Then decide what's best for you - free engine, crossgrade or upgrade.

Chris

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:16 PM

Todd Phillips:

I upgraded and I think I got great deal. Although I had Some Pillars commentaries, I am happy I finally got Baker's Expository Com. and Baker's NT. I am happy to have the History of Jewish People (5 vol.) Baker enc. of Psychology and Counseling, and many many other things. I am still looking at the Portfolio thing. May be later. There are many good things there about the Early CHristianity and Judaism. But the price is hilarious. It is about 2000 USD. I know it is the best value. Who can afford it will be blessed.

Bohuslav

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS