Linking a note to a whole chapter

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:51 AM

Typically when I create a note, it'll be to a highlighted word in a verse like I learned from Morris Proctor. Is there a way to make a link to a note that covers a whole Bible chapter? I'm doing something in Psalms right now and I wanted to make a general/intro style note, but not link it to any one verse.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:58 AM

Select the whole chapter, right click on the selected text and choose Add Note...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2011 8:03 AM

Wiki has Notes page with Adding a note to a Bible reference in all Bibles so the reference could be a Bible chapter (e.g. Psalms 1).

Can right click on chapter # (then click reference in pop-up menu, then click "Add a Note to ...")

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2011 12:22 PM

Michael Ballai:
Typically when I create a note, it'll be to a highlighted word in a verse like I learned from Morris Proctor. Is there a way to make a link to a note that covers a whole Bible chapter? I'm doing something in Psalms right now and I wanted to make a general/intro style note, but not link it to any one verse.

i like to link to the Psalms title

EDIT: the image above shows using both Selection and Reference methods for notes.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2011 12:44 PM

I was thinking the same as Steve. Rosie got the exact needful method nutshelled perfectly.

I did decide against the visual filter highlighting. I really can't stand trying to read everything highlighted and I'm not so sure even the word being highlighted is all that useful. Is it just me that finds highlighting a visual speed bump that only slows down contextual understanding?

I'm perusing the Wiki too.

Thanks all!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 23 2014 1:50 AM

Here we are 3 years later - I have an issue with chapter notes. I was in the NLT in Psalms and highlighted the chapter and added notes. Did it for 10 or so Psalms (30-39). Then realized when I switched to MSG or ESV they didn't appear. But they did appear in the KJV 1900, strange.

When I highlighted the title (the note right below each Psalm) and created a note there, it appeared in every other version of the BIble window.

So I take that is a bug and not a feature. But for now, I am adding notes to the titles. Perhaps it's only a Psalms issue.

On Psa 33 I couldn't find a title to add a note to, so went to MSG and highlighted the number 33 and created a note and that worked. But unlike the others, on the note title itself was not Psalm 33: title but just Psalm 33. So different versions act in different ways.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 3:17 PM

Peace, Scott!             *smile*

Welcome to the Logos Community Forums where people from the four corners of the earth -- mostly volunteers --  attempt to help and support and encourage and inform one another regarding Logos Bible Software -- 24 hours a day -- 7 days a week!

I notice that you seem sort of new to Logos; however, you have most certainly done well with your research!    It's a fantastically wonderful program!          Well worth the learning curve!

This is a weekend, so I hope others might happen to find this thread and add their helpful comments!

*smile*

Personally I don't think there's a bug!              It's very simple ...........      When you right-click, if you choose selection, it will show up only in the version you are using.            If you choose reference, it will show up in every version!

I do not highlight the titles since the titles belong exclusively to the version that has them.              Also, Rosie above always gives good advice; however, if you follow her on this point, it will only show up in one version, and I prefer my notes to show up in whatever version that I'm using ...       otherwise what's the use of making a note if it won't show up easily and automatically!                          *smile*     !

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4873
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 5:29 PM

Scott Groethe:

Here we are 3 years later - I have an issue with chapter notes. I was in the NLT in Psalms and highlighted the chapter and added notes. Did it for 10 or so Psalms (30-39). Then realized when I switched to MSG or ESV they didn't appear. But they did appear in the KJV 1900, strange.

Scott I have been able to confirm the behaviour you are experiencing.  I have uploaded a screencast demonstrating this inconsistent behaviour.

http://screencast.com/t/rbXYkqkOjK 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:17 PM

Peace to you, Dear Brother !!!            *smile*                      Well-Done!                   That is very helpful indeed!               

What a wonderful lot of work you did to assist a Brother; and I most certainly commend you!             May God reward your tender and loving heart!           *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5
Sandra Burgess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:29 PM

Having now discovered from your post Milford, thank you, the difference between Selection and Reference - is there a way to convert all my Notes to Reference so they show up in every version? Since I didn't know the Reference option existed, all my notes are only in one version. *sigh*

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 30 2014 7:04 AM

Sandra Burgess:

Having now discovered from your post Milford, thank you, the difference between Selection and Reference - is there a way to convert all my Notes to Reference so they show up in every version? Since I didn't know the Reference option existed, all my notes are only in one version. *sigh*

Peace to you, Dear Sandra!                    ... and!  ...          a big Welcome to the Logos Community Forums!            Thanks for posting!

a thought for you ....      

As you work on your notes -- one at a time!      *smile* -- enjoy!            Improve them a bit if convenient!

Briefly meditate on the thought of the note!                         and ...      in all circumstances, thank and praise our Loving and Gracious God and Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!      

Make it a game!           Enjoy your "play"!           *smile*                              Try some of the different colours and other markings for your notes!                               I thank you very much for the good humour you have shown in your post!          

Blessings!                                 *smile*

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 3:10 AM

I have an update to the previous post

No Logos staff person has addressed this yet : )  here is something in addition to that

Adding a note to Exo 21.1 (the reference not the selection) added it to all versions I noticed except MSG - it's as if verse 1 doesn't exist in the MSG.

If you highlight a word or phrase within verse 1 in the MSG and create a note it will (using this Exo 21 case) create it as a chapter note Exo 21, not 21.1

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 4:11 AM

Scott Groethe:

I have an update to the previous post

No Logos staff person has addressed this yet : )  here is something in addition to that

Adding a note to Exo 21.1 (the reference not the selection) added it to all versions I noticed except MSG - it's as if verse 1 doesn't exist in the MSG.

If you highlight a word or phrase within verse 1 in the MSG and create a note it will (using this Exo 21 case) create it as a chapter note Exo 21, not 21.1

You might want to start a new thread with the word bug in the title.  The employees of Logos do not read every thread, but the word bug gets their attention. 

I noticed that there was a bug in the NRSV in its tagging, and your bug sounds very similar. 

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 6:44 AM

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS