Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Charlie McElvy | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 13 2009 7:57 AM

This may seem pretty petty, but I'm getting frustrated with the Home Page search in Mac Logos -- and it may be that I'm a 'tard.  Every search, say a Word Search for "Levi", provides me plenty of results... in KJV!  I've got the ESV set as my primary Bible translation, so I'm at a loss as to why I keep getting KJV - and KJV only - results??

Ideas on how to fix this?  Right now I have to do a search, then open up the ESV Bible pane and paste the numerous entries into the search one by one... arduous, to be sure!!

SDG!

Charlie

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:04 AM

Hi Charlie,

If you are typing 'Levi' in the Study Word field on the home page, try typing it instead in the Basic Search or Bible Search dialog (Search menu). You can search 'All Available Unlocked Resources' or 'All Open Resources', or with Bible Search you can choose a specific Bible to search. More information on searching is available in the Libronix DLS Help. Just click on the Help menu and type the word 'search' in the search field--both menu items and help articles will be listed.

Melissa

Posts 2
Charlie McElvy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:33 AM
Thanks! That did it, but it still doesn't explain why this is... I would think, for as robust as Logos is (and it is!) that this would be a simple tweak: from the Home Page search, use my preferred and selected resource/Bible. Oh, well... at least you got me what I need! Thanks! Charlie http://www.charliemcelvy.com
Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 13 2009 12:02 PM

I should have explained a bit more. The Bible Word Study is a report that provides indepth information about a specific word. Entering a word in English, Greek, or Hebrew will generate dictionary entries and a lemma analysis from the texts selected in the Properties dialog. To see which resources are used, and what type of results the report will return, click on the Tools menu, then click on Bible Study and Bible Word Study. Click on the Properties toolbar button in the report window.  If you do not own any original language texts, the report will use the King James Version because it includes Strong's Numbers information.

Posts 30208
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 2:08 AM

Melissa Snyder:
because it includes Strong's Numbers information.

Could someone explain to me the fascination with Strong's numbers? With the language tools that computers put at out fingertips I don't quite see the need for / use of them - especially since none of my training used them.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 14 2009 5:56 AM

MJ. Smith:
Could someone explain to me the fascination with Strong's numbers?

Libronix's fascination is probably a matter of history as Strong's numbers were available long before computers and non-seminary folk like myself heard about them in Christian workshops/camps and bought the Lexicons/Concordances. It takes a while to be educated about the better methods available in Bible software.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15
Skip Gaede | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:42 PM

@Melissa,

I have the following situation: Mac engine 1.1.1 (186), Bible search, Bible=ESV, Range=Pentatuch, search for <Moses AND alone>. I get two hits in Exodous: the displayed text is from the ESV, but the hyperlinks are linked to the passage in the KJB. How do I get the hyperlinks to point to the ESV? I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen if I specified NIV.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Skip

Posts 82
Rob Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2009 7:50 AM

I would think you would have to have your Preferred Bible set to the ESV. 

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 16 2009 8:02 AM

skipgaede:

I have the following situation: Mac engine 1.1.1 (186), Bible search, Bible=ESV, Range=Pentatuch, search for <Moses AND alone>. I get two hits in Exodous: the displayed text is from the ESV, but the hyperlinks are linked to the passage in the KJB. How do I get the hyperlinks to point to the ESV? I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen if I specified NIV.

Hi Skip,

When you click on the passage link, your preferred Bible will open to that passage. To open the ESV, click on the square below the ESV and next to the passage.  If you search multiple Bibles, you can select a Bible to display its text in the search results window. Click on a square below a Bible (selected or not) to open the passage in that Bible. 

Melissa

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS