Missing Resources

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:40 PM

Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but I'm new to Logos -- just installed version 3 last week, and version 4 today. Are there supposed to be some of the new Library items missing after you upgrade (i.e. are they going to push them out later)? I completed my install, and my sync icon says "synchronization is enabled, all items are up to date," but yet I seem to be missing most of the new titles. It seems like I had most (if not all) of my library carry over from version 3, and at least 1 new resource from the version 4 Library, but following a series of searches it seems that I am missing most of the new library titles from the upgrade. I actually only found that 1 new resource, and couldn't find any others in my searches. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or if it will download the rest of the upgraded titles later?

In Christ,

Jason

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:45 PM

Jason,

The "synchronization is enabled, all items are up to date" message does not refer to resources. It refers to layouts, notes, tags and ratings (and so on).

You possibly need to still wait for the download of all your new resources. Do try typing "update now" into the command bar to download new / updated resources. 

Posts 1750
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:52 PM

The NIV and NLT Reverse Interlinears have not come out yet.  To the best of my knowledge, everything else is.  While I understand what you are saying about "sync", the most important sychronization for getting the new resources happens behind the scenes.  It is quite a change from what we are used to, but has generally worked well for us during Beta.  Assuming you are connected to the Internet and have not turned off the Internet communication features of 4.0 (which your sync comments seem to say) Logos 4 will compare the license file at Logos's web site with what you have installed as well as compare the file versions you have with those at Logos and automatically update you to your full collection.  Unfortunately, I have heard of this taking as long as 45 minutes today.  We impatient people will type "update now" and that might make it a bit faster, but even this seems to be slow today.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:55 PM

Damian,

Thanks for the tip.  I tried searching on update now and nothing seemed to happen. Should there be some sign that new resources are being downloaded, or does it happen entirely in the background?

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 7:58 PM

I installed hours ago, and have a relatively quick connection, so I don't think the waiting issue would be causing the problem???Hmm

Posts 1750
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:00 PM

When you are downloading an update, there should be a blue Logos icon on the Windows taskbar.  If you hold your mouse over this, it will tell you how much you are getting and how far you are along.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:01 PM

Jason,

1. Type Update Now into the command bar

2. Wait til it has found the command (just to be sure) and then either, click on the command, hit enter, or hit the blue arrow.

3. When activated, the command will change to the capitalised "Update now"

4. Wait.

5. If you have program settings set to automatically download resources, then if there is an update, a blue icon will appear in your taskbar and with a tooltip telling you how many resources are to be downloaded and asking permission. Click to accept.

6. Wait

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:05 PM

Thanks Damian.  The blue icon says that my library is indexing. Although I thought that meant that it was just making the future search capability quicker. Could this be affecting my ability to see some of the resources in my library?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:12 PM

R. Jason Bartholow:
Are there supposed to be some of the new Library items missing after you upgrade (i.e. are they going to push them out later)?

Yes, there are several resources that are still being developed. Bob has said some of these should be out soon. I'm especially psyched about the NIV Reverse Interlinear. But we're still waiting on that one, and a few others.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:15 PM

I upgraded to the platinum today.  Finished the downloads and the indexing.  I am missing all the additional books that that base package includes.  No update icon.  Tried the update now.  Still missing all of them.  Any thoughts?

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:16 PM

Thanks RIch. I think my problem is more systemic though. The only new resource I've noticed in my library is the apologetics study bible (about which I was pretty stoked as well, because I was very close to buying it in paper form not too long ago). Hopefully after my indexing process is complete, either everything now available will be in my library, or I'll be able to download it at that point. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:17 PM

Ahh, John, you just crushed my hopes of the indexing being the hold up.

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:18 PM

R. Jason Bartholow:
Ahh, John, you just crushed my hopes of the indexing being the hold up.

Sad

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:19 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:
I upgraded to the platinum today.  Finished the downloads and the indexing.  I am missing all the additional books that that base package includes.  No update icon.  Tried the update now.  Still missing all of them.  Any thoughts?

Some books are still in development. But the update icon has been slow in showing all day. One person reported 45 minutes before it showed up. If you were more specific about the books you're waiting for, maybe someone could tell you if they have it, or are still waiting for it like you.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:24 PM

Rich, in my case it's every "new" title except the Holman Apologetics Study Bible.

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:24 PM

Every new title in Gold that is...

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:26 PM

Same for me, except the platinum.  Specifically, one resource is the Pillar Commentary on NT.

Posts 27
R. Jason Bartholow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:44 PM

John.  Ok, I have a lot more of the titles now. Here's what I did, but can't guarantee that it will work for you. I double clicked on the little blue Logos icon in the task bar, and it closed the Logos software, and it showed a small window in the middle of my desktop saying something to the effect of: your library is being configured/updated/whatever... After it was done doing this Logos restarted itself, and I did a quick search to see if any of the new titles showed up, and I found most of the ones in my initial search. Hopefully this works for you too? I think that my search for "update now" that Damian suggested also had a part to play in this.

By the way, I'm still indexing.

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:48 PM

Thanks.  However, my blue icon is no longer there.  I am just going to let it run tonight.  I check in the morning and if there are still issues, I will call CSupport.

j

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 2 2009 9:51 PM

Jason,

Glad to here it's starting to work.

"Indexing" involves more than just indexing. The start of the process also involves transferring the files from their download location to the resources folder. I have found that this can take quite a while and then magically they all appear (after a restart of the program).

Whatever you do, do not interrupt indexing or it will all start over again - the short term benefit of seeing a few resources is outweighed by the fact that the actual indexing of the books begins again.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS