Free Tool: QuickLink

Page 1 of 5 (90 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 89 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 15 2011 2:14 PM

i have built a tool using Visual Basic which works with Logos 4. It allows you to quickly position unlinked resources to that of a linked resource without having to actually link them. It runs on Windows machines that have Logos 4 installed & running. It has been tested on a Vista & Windows 7 machine (only 2 machines). It is provided free and as is and is not guarantied to be without bugs.

Please download and read the guide first (the guide PDF is at the bottom of this post)

Here is the installation program zipped:

5086.L4 QuickLink.zip

Here is a Guide for the program. It will explain:

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 22428
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2011 7:25 PM

As it will install .NET 4 if necessary it will require Admin privilege; which is also required if it installs to any Program Files .. folder. Will it be available to all users or is it  a per-user program?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2011 7:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
which is also required if it installs to any Program Files .. folder.

VB 2010 Express create click-once installation files which are placed in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\...

Dave Hooton:
Will it be available to all users or is it  a per-user program?

i am guessing it is per user since the above location is in the Users\<user> folder

Per info on MSDN (to the best of my understanding) it says user should not need Admin privilege (but i put that info in the guide since i had not tried that method of installation)

Posts 138
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 3:21 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for L4 tool. The problem is that when I install it on my Home Vista machine it comes up with an error message saying the program has stopped working. No L4 icon appears on the desktop either. It shows up in the list of programs & when I try to run it from there it brings up the original box saying program has stopped working. Any ideas? Thanks, Gerald

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 8:03 AM

Hi Gerald,

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem.

Gerald Rodgers:
No L4 icon appears on the desktop either

You should have L4 running first. Then start the QL program. Did QL program install? Do you see the QL icon on your desktop?

Did you follow the installation instructions in the Guide?

A screenshot might be useful.

Posts 138
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 10:04 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for a very prompt reply. Still having problems installing the program. When I run setup it goes through all steps but then comes up with a box saying the program has stopped working. At  the same time NO icon appears on the desktop. Any possibility that an AV program might be the problem? Thanks again. Gerald

Posts 138
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 10:20 AM

Hi Steve

Me again! Here is a full copy of error message that accompanied the error message:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: l4 quicklink.exe

Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: 4dcf3d33

Problem Signature 04: L4 QuickLink

Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4dcf3d33

Problem Signature 07: 1f

Problem Signature 08: a6

Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Hope this help.

Gerald

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 12:08 PM

Hi Gerald,

Gerald Rodgers:
Here is a full copy of error message

Could you look in Program from the Start menu to see if QuickLink is there? (See image below)

i think that the installation has worked, but an error message is occurring for a different reason.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 2:20 PM

Thank you Steve Big Smile

Also thanks for the video http://clark-tx.net/temp/QL%20Video.htm

Could you please post the add-on links for the shortcut bar for A-F. I would definitely like to have them.

Thanks again for this quick help tool.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 3:09 PM

Update: new copy of QuickLink

Changes white text in QL window to black text.

Before installing, PLEASE make sure that QL is not open (right click in the QL icon in the notification bar and click on Exit).

Make sure that Logos 4 is running and stable before installing QuickLinks.

See this webpage (at the bottom) for the latest QuickLinks installation program.
(Forum editor is not allowing me to add the zip file today)

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 3:20 PM

steve clark:
See this webpage (at the bottom) for the latest QuickLinks installation program.

Thank you Steve. That changes it to black nicely.

Now I can't wait to get the A-F shortcuts for the toolbarBig Smile

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 3:23 PM

Praiser:
Now I can't wait to get the A-F shortcuts for the toolbarBig Smile

i will work on it later. i need to get ready and go to church for our visitation tonight. When i get home i will work on documentation for installing these helper programs. This need to be document a little before blindly adding them. i may decide to add a webpage to provide these with instructions. The forum editor was not allow me to add the zip files today (the file was less than 1MB)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2011 10:45 PM

OK, i have a website setup with installation for QuickLinks and the Helper Apps. This will help in keeping the most current version of the programs in one place as well as documentation and installation instructions.

QuickLinks page

I guess there is not much interest in this program, only 3 people have responded. If i see more people interested in using this software i will post additions that i might make to the software.

Hope ya'll find the tool useful.

Posts 951
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 12:01 AM

Wow! Indifferent

Only just watched the video ... now I see ... thank you.  

The 6 mini links will be particularly useful ... and just when I though Mac was almost prime ... something on the M$ box that looks like a deal breaker!

17" MBP with Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 138
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 1:28 AM

Hi Steve

Yes the Quicklink is in the Start Menu.

Regards

Gerald

Posts 22428
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 5:25 AM

steve clark:
i am guessing it is per user since the above location is in the Users\<user> folder

It is per-user.

I note that after L4 is restarted with QL still running an Unhandled Exception is generated when clicking a QL shortcut. It would be useful to have an Exit/Stop shortcut OR handle the exception  ie. effectively restart QL.

Also note that the QL shortcut is not necessary if you have Helper shortcut(s).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 138
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 5:40 AM

Hi Steve

Forgot to say I uninstalled the program in order to try reinstalling.

This time around I don't get Quicklink showing in the program menu.

Interested in your comments and any help you can offer please.

Regards

Gerald

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 6:01 AM

steve clark:

OK, i have a website setup with installation for QuickLinks and the Helper Apps. This will help in keeping the most current version of the programs in one place as well as documentation and installation instructions.

QuickLinks page

I guess there is not much interest in this program, only 3 people have responded. If i see more people interested in using this software i will post additions that i might make to the software.

Hope ya'll find the tool useful.

Thank you Steve. Installation was quick and easy with great documentation. Yes  I especially like the Helper Links in the toolbar. Nice addition.

Thanks again for sharing!Big Smile

Posts 2710
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 6:36 AM

Steve, may the Lord bless you for allowing yourself to be used for the talents God has entusted you. I was using different softwares beside Logos ,when I wanted to open another study ,then my layout had to change and that was not easy for me ,so instead of that I had to open another software ,but now with the quick link you have created I am very gald ,now I really appriciate your efforts to meet our needs.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2011 10:53 AM

Dave Hooton:
I note that after L4 is restarted with QL still running an Unhandled Exception is generated

Thanks for the info!

i added function to close QL when it senses that L4 has closed. i also added a lot more 'On Error' handling as well as improved details in the Logfile. The logfile is now located in the user's MyDocs folder under the name QL_Logfile.txt (so if i need a user to post it they can find it). When QL starts it checks the size of this file and if it is > 10M it erases it (to help keep oversized logfile in a users system).

The updated file is on the website: QuickLinks page

Dave Hooton:
Also note that the QL shortcut is not necessary if you have Helper shortcut(s).

That was already noted as the last line of instruction on the Helper page (item #3)

Page 1 of 5 (90 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.