Upgrade from Logos 3 to Logos 3????

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:25 AM

OK i have read quite a lot on this forum about the new upgrade to logos 4.

Now what i want to know because it does seem a bit confusing on the advertising for this new build, 

1. I have I bought the Top Logos 3 package, (Gold). Plus Many many more bits and pieces (I have the Macarthur package as well).

According to the upgrade calculator my upgrade cost for the new Gold is $161.50. I know it has a few more books than my original Gold edition. The extra books i wouldn't mind getting, but they are not necessary for me at the moment. so can i upgrade my existing package to Logos 4?? just like i did when they upgraded Logos 3?

2. over the past year i have bought over $3000.00 (thats US dollars, i live in New Zealand so it really cost me between 6000-6500.00 dollars) worth of logos material. so will all that be able to be used in the new logos 4??

3. Pre-pubs. I have read in a few posts, that the prepubs that are going to be in the packages will be taken off the pre-pub page. Is this true, and what will happen to all those who had pre ordered, Are you going to respect THEIR and MY trust in Logos and HONOR that prepub price, for those who DON"T want the Whole package???

This is my major concern. I currently have over $3000.00 US dollars worth of product on my pre-pub list, which would be total dis-loyalty if you did not give people the option of getting the pre-pubs at the price thay had pre ordered them at. 

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:42 AM

Aaron,

Answers:

1.) You can do the bare upgrade just like you did for v3 for free BUT it leaves out a few small things that spice up V4. I'd pay the 50 or whatever dollars it is to get the v4 specific stuff. It's NOT necessary to pay anything but it's worth it.

2.) All (normal logos resources) will be available in v4. They are working day and night to convert and make it happen...so, you might have some files that don't work at the moment...but eventually...they will. PBB's won't become workable for another 7 months.

3.) They are taking the prepubs of your order. That's why you are getting 150-200 more resources for only 161.00. It's taking into account what you already own...you are not paying twice.

My own comment: I have already purchased so much of the Gold that I decided not to upgrade but only crossgrade. I have things on Prepub that are not in the package that I'd more like to have.

that's how I understand it...it seems very fair to me..

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:46 AM

Robert Pavich:

They are working day and night to convert and make it happen...

Robert,

Apparently they are allowed to sleep for two hours in shifts.

So while the company is operating 24 hours a day, the individual employees are only required to work 22 hours a day.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:49 AM

Damian McGrath:

Apparently they are allowed to sleep for two hours in shifts.

So while the company is operating 24 hours a day, the individual employees are only required to work 22 hours a day.

Now THAT'S funny....

Robert Pavich

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 1:43 AM

Thanks, i understand a little bit better. It's just trying to get my head around the upgrade side of things. and i have absolutely no problem in paying to upgrade, because Logos deserve to, with all the work they put into getting it right, but i am just wanting to know how the upgrade options work.

I have read 'crossgrade' somewhere in these forums as well, what does this mean? I would probably plan to get the Logos 4 Gold upgrade. so if i get the 'free engine upgrade' instead will that mean that as my current resources are upgraded to logos 4 will they be automatically 'updated' like previous versions??

with your answer to #3, how do you mean that i will be getting 150-200 extra resources. I have looked at the new comparison list and it says what is New to the package from the previous one (here is the link:http://www.logos.com/comparison) . I do understand that i will be getting extrra resources and i am not paying for the ones that i already have...Heres an example of what i am trying to find out... If i have something on pre-pub, and that product will be on the higher versions than Gold, will i still get what i have ordered on pre-pub?? 

I just want to say that i have NO problem in paying to upgrade, because LOGOS Deserve all the praise they can get for an AMAZING program. and i do hope that they have more than 2 Hours sleep ;-D.

thanks

Aaron

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 1:55 AM

Also i have just clicked on a few of my pre-pubs and this is what it says in a box under the prices:

"If you're using Logos Bible Software 4, you must choose the DOWNLOAD option. The 3.0 CD-ROM or DVD-ROM requires version 3 of the Libronix Digital Library System."

How then can i get these products in logos 4, for the one that i have ordered in CD format??

Also i have read that people are having to download there entire collections, now for many people that will be HUGE. mine is approx 10Gb. Now i am blessed to have a reasonable data-cap. but many people don't have that luxury, how does this work???

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 1:58 AM

Aaron,

You can do the following:

Upgrade the "Engine" to V4. It costs nothing and you don't get any more resources or bells and whistles. Yes..your current resources all go to V4 rebuild.

Crossgrade: This effectively gives you the engine and the new resources being offered in v4 but at  "same level I was at" ...it's a minimal fee. You may already have these resources...or some of them.

The last option is to upgrade to another level entirely...this you have to weigh out...depending on what you want...what it costs...etc.

Not quite sure what you mean about the prepub...if you are asking that when you upgrade you get resource A, and that's what you've already ordered on prepub, then I BELIEVE that your prepubs are canceled...you might have to check on this.

Robert Pavich

Posts 31358
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 2:01 AM

Robert Pavich:
Now THAT'S funny....

Not to the programmer putting in a 26 hour day to make sure its fixed. Okay, perhaps its only payroll and bank programmers that do that.  They get so thought-out that they have been known to call the black warm water you get from a vending machine COFFEE

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 2:30 AM

Robert Pavich:
Not quite sure what you mean about the prepub...if you are asking that when you upgrade you get resource A, and that's what you've already ordered on prepub, then I BELIEVE that your prepubs are canceled...you might have to check on this.

I am not sure Robert that it is canceled automatically. I would say it is always good to compare how many resources are in the upgrade I really want and look their prices, whether in the prepub or in the regular list (most of them are not in the prepub.) I think you never can get better price than such occasion as now, with the crossgrade to the newer level of the same package. After buying of the crossgrade/upgrade, I would go to my prepub list and check. If it is still there, I would cancel the prepub order I already got in the upgrade/crossgrade.

I just upgraded to Platinum and I try to think about any book I got that was in the prepub, but I am not sure there is such one. It looks to me that what is in prepub, is in the process of production and is not available yet. So most of your prepubs will wait their production day anyways.

Bohuslav

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 2:35 AM

thanks robert,

For the pre-pubs, i would understand that if i get the new logos 4 Gold (i currently have 3 gold.) with products that i have on pre-pub they would be cancelled from my prepub page.

here is a quote from Bob in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3307.aspx

Bob Pritchett Replied: Yesterday 6:40 PM

We plan to cancel the pre-pubs for books that hadn't shipped on pre-pub and are now in the collections.We plan to cancel the pre-pubs for books that hadn't shipped on pre-pub and are now in the collections.

So with the prepubs, lets say i decide to buy the Logos 4 Gold upgrade, now if there is something that i have on pre-pub, and that is added to the Gollection than i would get that, and it would be taken off my prepub order page. but if there is some on my pre-pub orders and it goes into the Platinum collection, would i still get that at my pre-pub price???

Thanks to all for their patience in helping me and others understand all this. It is a BIG undertaking for Logos, and i am sure that their Phones will be going Overtime.

Thanks, Aaron

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:57 AM

AaronStevens:
I have read 'crossgrade' somewhere in these forums as well, what does this mean? I would probably plan to get the Logos 4 Gold upgrade.
If you have Logos 3 Gold, then you would CROSSgrade to Logos 4 Gold.  This includes the extra books AND the new tools designed to work only in Logos 4 that are not usable in 3.

AaronStevens:
o if i get the 'free engine upgrade' instead will that mean that as my current resources are upgraded to logos 4 will they be automatically 'updated' like previous versions??
The FREE engine will read all your books except PBB books.  Those will take another 7 mo.  The FREE engine does not include several of the tools/resources that are avilable when you crosssgrade to Logos 4.

AaronStevens:
If i have something on pre-pub, and that product will be on the higher versions than Gold, will i still get what i have ordered on pre-pub?? 
Yes. you will still get your pre-pubs not included in the package. The point begin made earlier is that if you have already ordered something in pre-pub, your Crossgrade price to Gold 4 is adjusted to take into account your pre-pub orders IN that Gold package.

Blessings,

Joe

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:59 AM

AaronStevens:
So with the prepubs, lets say i decide to buy the Logos 4 Gold upgrade, now if there is something that i have on pre-pub, and that is added to the Gollection than i would get that, and it would be taken off my prepub order page. but if there is some on my pre-pub orders and it goes into the Platinum collection, would i still get that at my pre-pub price???
Yes.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:16 AM

Thanks that helps, So then what is the difference between the logos4 Gold 'Upgrade and the Crossgrade?? if any?? except price ;-D

Also what are PBB?

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:19 AM

AaronStevens:
Thanks that helps, So then what is the difference between the logos4 Gold 'Upgrade and the Crossgrade?? if any?? except price ;-D

A crossgrade is what you get if you have Gold version 3, and want to get Gold version 4. An upgrade is when you move up to Gold from a lower package (Silver or below).

AaronStevens:
Also what are PBB?

PBBs are user-created books made with the Personal Book Builder product.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:27 AM

AaronStevens:

Also what are PBB?

Crossgrade = same level (Gold - Gold) - But the Gold 4 has more in it than Gold 3 - resources that only work with 4 and new books.

Upgrade = go to the next level (Silver - Gold, Gold - Platinum) or beyond (several levels)

Minimal upgrade = just the engine and a few resources that only work with 4

Just engine = just the engine

In any event, by going to 4 all your resources in 3 are useable - many will be converted/optimized right now (= downloading and indexing) some will be updated as time goes on and will result in downloads and mini-indexing on an ongoing basis -- then once in a while you need to merge the mini-indexing into your main index -- but it works fine without)

What you don't get by just upgrading the engine is the resources that Logos has designed that only work with 4 (you have to pay for one of the crossgrades or upgrades).

PBB are personal books that people have developed and published that work with Logos 3. They are not able to be used in Logos 4, yet. But they will be later.

Chris

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:31 AM

Cool, thanks for all of your help. now i guess my next questions is, i have my logos on 3 computers, (2 computers, 1 laptop). How do i go about Updating all three, instead of Downloading everything 3 times?? Like on Logos 3, i could Download the updates on one computer, and copy the "Libronix DLS" folder to my external Hard Drive, then paste them to my other 2 computers, is this still able to be done in Logos 4??

Posts 9433
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:21 AM

Aaron,

Someone else with more knowledge will chime in on this, but here's what I understand:

1. You would need to install L4 on all of your computers, and the new resources on just one.

2. You can then copy the new resources from one computer to another. This saves you from three big downloads. What I am not sure of is how to direct you to the folder where the new resources are on your computer. I use Vista and they are located at: C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\0gwlhiqv.t5b\ResourceManager\Resources. In my situation I would copy that folder to the same location on another computer to save a separate download.

From that point the automatic synchronizing of L4 will keep your layouts, notes, clippings, etc. in sync from one computer to another. I think every time you add a new resource you'd have to add it three times, but I'm not sure.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 11:27 AM

AaronStevens:
How do i go about Updating all three, instead of Downloading everything 3 times?? Like on Logos 3, i could Download the updates on one computer, and copy the "Libronix DLS" folder to my external Hard Drive, then paste them to my other 2 computers, is this still able to be done in Logos 4??

Not really, but kinda yeah.....

1. Install L4 on one computer, download everything to that system.
  2. Copy the files from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<randomstring>\ResourceManager\Resources to your external hard drive.
  3. Install L4 on your next computer, but instead of letting it download turn off downloads temporarily at TOOLS > PROGRAM SETTINGS >Automatically download updates "no"
  4. on your second computer in the command bar of L4 type scan d:\path\to\files
  5. restart Logos 4 and it should "prepare your library" and copy all the files over. 
  6. once finished, turn automatic updates back on if you desire.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 on your additional computer.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:15 PM

Cool Thanks, that helps alot. I iwill upgrade As soon as i can. Thanks all.

Posts 47
Aaron Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 4 2009 1:27 AM

AaronStevens:

"If you're using Logos Bible Software 4, you must choose the DOWNLOAD option. The 3.0 CD-ROM or DVD-ROM requires version 3 of the Libronix Digital Library System."

As this quote says from my pre-pubs pages, any downloaded prepubs will be Logos 4, and CD's are Logos 3, so how would i put cd prepubs onto logos 4??

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS