Custom lectionaries ok?

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 12:33 PM

Stephen Egge:
I would like to see the RCL with DAILY support including all 3 readings and psalms

Do you mean the Revised Common Lectionary (RCL) or the Roman Catholic Lectionary (of the USCCB site)? There is a provisional RCL lectionary published by Augsburg  that would likely have copyright issues. Most of the data for the Roman Catholic daily lectionary can be retrieved from files previously sent to Logos (by Damian if my memory serves). There are a few issues - votive Mass readings, for example that need to be addressed. I'll start pushing Logos on them after the Christmas season.

FYI - I would also like to see the readings from the Liturgy of the Hours or at least the Office of Readings to also be available via the lectionary function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 1:13 PM

This XML to .logos4 transition is an issue for other datasets as well.  I'm thinking of Parallel Passages where I have some custom databases I'm no longer able to use.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 2:07 PM

MJ. Smith:
Most of the data for the Roman Catholic daily lectionary can be retrieved from files previously sent to Logos (by Damian if my memory serves)

Most of the data is in a lectionary file on the old newsgroups. I actually deleted all these old files to create room on my old laptop - my bad....

I'd love to see Logos negotiate the availability of the Jerusalem Bible for the readings and the Grail for the Psalms (and the Contemporary English Version for the Children's Lectionary). Other computer programs have been able to do it.

Posts 20
Stephen Egge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 5:20 PM

MJ, yes the readings from the USCCB site.

The Litergy of the Hours woud ROCK and be a great boon to devotional reading. Great Idea ... I would think it would be harder to do ...

I have "saved" quite a few XML lectionries that Don Awalt created and they go back to 2006 (although there may be some gaps) . I'd be happy to send them to whoever if it would help in the creation of a usable Lectionary.

Steve

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 10:46 PM

Stephen Egge:

The Litergy of the Hours woud ROCK and be a great boon to devotional reading. Great Idea ... I would think it would be harder to do ...

I have "saved" quite a few XML lectionries that Don Awalt created and they go back to 2006 (although there may be some gaps) . I'd be happy to send them to whoever if it would help in the creation of a usable Lectionary.

Send me a personal message and I'll send you my email address. There is a long story behind it but I have a friend who is helping with input if I do the editing. I can at least figure out how much work it would take to make them complete. Actually because the Liturgy of the Hours has short sections that repeat frequently the hardest part is the two reading readings for the office of readings.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
Stephen Egge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:16 PM

MJ .... have no Idea how to send a personal message ... clicked on everything including your personal page ... no dice ... it doesn't come up as an option on this system as far as I can tell.

So I'll throw my  email out there...  steveegge at comcast dot net

Steve

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:25 PM

Stephen,

It would be a good idea to click the green MORE button next to your post, and select EDIT.  At least take the @ out of  your email so that spammers can't scrape the site and get it.

name at email dot com is a pretty common way to do this.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 20
Stephen Egge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 6:44 PM

Thanks Thomas.

Steve

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:09 PM

Damian McGrath:
Most of the data is in a lectionary file on the old newsgroups.

I can recover and reformat - I saved off nearly all the newsgroup files ... some other commitments to do first  that I think are better tests of the new Logos  format - specifically the Jewish Torah cycle and some historic ("dead" lectionaries) for which I'm using Lutheran daily data. But I've gathered BCP, Byzantine, Syriac, Mozarabic (or was it Ambrosian?) ... I'll be busy for a while.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:19 PM

MJ. Smith:
some other commitments to do first  that I think are better tests of the new Logos  format

Martha,

Do you know what the new Logos format actually is?

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 8:51 PM

Damian McGrath:
Do you know what the new Logos format actually is?

only that a spreadsheet can be "easily" converted into the XML format and that a specific link format is what includes the text of the lection.

Posts 41
Fr. Nicklaus Winker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:51 PM

While I wonder what kind of comparative study MJ. Smith is doing, I imagine it would be helpful to have lectionaries (the readings and the occasion on which they are used) separate from the ordo (what readings are read on what day) in search. Imagine if in a passage guide you saw that a text was used with another text for an ordination, or on reformation Sunday, in this way the liturgical calendar can act as a sort of commentary. The liturgical use of a text is itself a commentary.

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:45 PM

Nicklaus Winker:
The liturgical use of a text is itself a commentary.

That is precisely where my mind is going. The old "as we pray so we believe" - lectionaries, prayer books and creeds.

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:13 PM

Damian McGrath:
The lectionaries are already keyed to particular translations. The Catholic Lectionary is keyed to the NAB. This ensures that the pericopae are correct (right click on a reference in the Lectionary to see NAB clearly displayed).

In RC2 I am clearly getting my preferred Bible (NRSV) rather than the official NAB. Perhaps the best solution given the inconsistency in translations used in English speaking countries would be to select a preferred lectionary translation in addition to the generic preferred Bible.  Now does that belong in the suggestions or the beta thread?

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2009 4:54 PM

MJ. Smith:
Perhaps the best solution given the inconsistency in translations used in English speaking countries would be to select a preferred lectionary translation in addition to the generic preferred Bible.  Now does that belong in the suggestions or the beta thread?

I've been getting my Preferred Bible all the time.

But, I like the idea. Wack it in the suggestion sub-forum!

Posts 20
Stephen Egge | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:08 PM

Its been 6 months since the last post ... has anyone made any progress ... or is this project dead?

Just wondering and floating encouragement your way.... willing to help in any way I can.

Steve Egge

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:40 PM

Stephen Egge:
Its been 6 months since the last post ...

Steve, since it has been 6 months you might want to start a new thread.  I just decided that I might take a stroll to see what was added but most may not.....

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 10:52 PM

William Bingham:

Stephen Egge:
Its been 6 months since the last post ...

Steve, since it has been 6 months you might want to start a new thread.  I just decided that I might take a stroll to see what was added but most may not.....

It was I who suggested he bump this thread, since he wants to get the attention of all the people who were involved in this thread. A new thread might not be noticed by them, but if like most forum regulars they check their "My Discussions" link regularly to see if there's been any new activity on thread they've responded to, they will find his query.

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:22 PM

Stephen Egge:
Its been 6 months since the last post ... has anyone made any progress ... or is this project dead?

No, the project is not dead. However, the world has a grudge against me. Since March 10, my father, my uncle, my cousin's stepson (in Afghanistan), another cousin's husband, two family friends with friendships going back long before my birth, my Bible study partner's son, and my cat have all died. (I should admit that 2 were 98 and 2 were on the far side of 80). I have started delivering spread sheets to Logos and expect the next batch to be sent this week.

The first set sent was specifically designed to illustrate some of the issues in the current implementation of lectionaries. It included

• Huguenot Psalter of 16th Century
  • Season of Creation
  • Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
  • links for 2 Anglican lectionaries already in Excel format through no effort of mine Smile

The set I'm finishing the proofreading on include:

• 3 Jewish reading cycles
  • Celtic Orthodox one year cycle
  • 3 daily (morning-evening prayer) Lutheran cylces
  • American Christian Methodist cycle
  • Mennonite lectionary (traditional)

In Excel format but proof-reading not started on:

• Byzantine lectionary
  • Syrian lectionary
  • 2 historical Methodist lectionaries
  • RCL daily lectionary (in use by Lutherans)
  • US Latin rite Catholic daily lectionary (including sanctoral cycle)
  • Historical Presbyterian lectionary
  • 4 year JLG lectionary
  • some additional Lutheran lectionaries

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
It was I who suggested he bump this thread

I am sorry Rosie, I did not mean to step on anyones toes.  I have just never seen a request to bump the old thread (not to say its not been there).  I have, however seen the request to start a new thread.  I am likely not nearly as efficient or as practiced as the advanced users of this forum to know any difference.  So I will most definately Shut my Mouth Zip it! and allow the professionals here to work.  Again sorry for my barging in.  Embarrassed

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS