Biblical People, Places, Things Grayed Out

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:16 PM

DavidBrown01:

Philip, Scholar's Library: Gold (OC), whatever the (OC) stands for. That is what is listed on My Orders for my upgrade to Logos 4 Scholar's Library: Gold (LE). I did not try installing the free engine, but purchased this upgrade and did the install. There were no other problems reported in the install, or since, outside of the Biblical Tools issue. I have Vista 64-bit Ultimate and IE 8, but it seems that nobody else is having this grayed out problem. I suppose there is a log file somewhere, but I don't know where. This must be a resource problem, but why has it not downloaded like everything else? Thanks.

It sounds like you have a license and/or sync issue that only an official Logos wizard can solve. I thought OC was an L3 designation and LE was the L4. I could be wrong there.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:33 PM

Philip Spitzer:
I thought OC was an L3 designation and LE was the L4

Definitely

Posts 35
David Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:40 PM

Sorry I was not clearer in the later post. From a previous post;

> Yes, my account listed the upgrade; Gold (OC) to Gold (LE).

I had Logos 3 Scholar's Library: Gold (OC) and upgraded to Logos 4 Scholar's Library: Gold (LE).

If there are no other suggestions, I'll call support soon. Thanks to all.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:44 PM

Biblical people is in Libronix 3, i am probably misunderstanding what you mean.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1666
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:24 PM

David,

this must be very frustrating foryou:

But when you get this straightened out the

"Tools/Biblical data/Biblical (Things-People-Places etc)"

will each load in a separate floating window

- if at that time whatever you have chosen has no data available, usually there will be a short explanation printed in the window ie. "No illustrations available." I don't think it will just leave you guessing as to what has/has not happened.

(Just so you know what you will hope to be seeing - if that is any help)

all the best,

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

DavidBrown01:

> Yes, my account listed the upgrade; Gold (OC) to Gold (LE).

I had Logos 3 Scholar's Library: Gold (OC) and upgraded to Logos 4 Scholar's Library: Gold (LE).

If there are no other suggestions, I'll call support soon. Thanks to all.

It looks like you should definitely have access to the new Biblical People/Places/Things (but I'm not easily able to look up your account just by name and double-check this).

"update resources" takes a long time to run (without displaying any progress); if you didn't leave Logos 4 open for perhaps 15 minutes after running it, it might not have finished its check. If you hold down CTRL while starting the program, it should create log files in "My Documents\Logos Log Files". Enter "update resources" in the command box, wait 15-20 minutes (you can continue to use the app, if you want), then zip and attach the log files to a post. I'll take a look and see if there's a reason that these data files aren't being downloaded.

Posts 35
David Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 5:07 AM

My Logos account is under david at phsc dot biz.

Yes, I see the log file now, and have attached it, I hope. There are a lot of "Warn LibraryCatalog No metadata found for resource" messages. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Maybe some corruption in a data file? Maybe there is a way to rebuild some index?

I restarted Logos and still no Biblical People/Places/Things after the Update Resources and a one hour wait.

About the previous comments on frustration; no, this is not really frustrating. I have been working with software for 28 years, since the days of debugging in-memory program overlays on Digital's RT-11 and RSX-11M. But I am showing my age. You have to look at problems like this as a puzzle and ask "why is it not working?" What is more frustrating to me is not being able to find the right words to express what I am thinking.

3463.Logos4.zip

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

DavidBrown01:

Yes, I see the log file now, and have attached it, I hope. There are a lot of "Warn LibraryCatalog No metadata found for resource" messages. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Maybe some corruption in a data file? Maybe there is a way to rebuild some index?

Thanks for the log file; it shows that Logos 4 is correctly downloading information for 1,352 resources, but only processing 1,116 of them (probably because it thinks the other 246 are up to date).

I'm not sure it will make a difference, but it may help to delete
    C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\nilcqdug.4f3\UpdateManager\Updates.db

When you restart Logos 4, it will automatically check for updates, rebuild that database, and maybe detect the missing resources this time. One thing that might be helpful for us is to zip and email that "Updates.db" file to logos4feedback@logos.com (before you delete it); I can check for inconsistency in the DB that might be causing this problem.

Posts 35
David Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:26 PM

If anyone is watching this thread because they are also missing resources, I have submitted the requested information, but it might be a unique firewall issue in my case that does not apply to anyone else. I am guessing we may not know for a day or so. Thank you to all who have offered help!

Posts 6
Jim Menne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 12:44 PM

David

Yesterday, I purchased the same upgrade you did and I'm having the same problems. My Biblical People, Places and Things are grayed out. Also, I'm missing a number of the new resources. So the issue does not appear to be unique to your set up.

Jim

Posts 35
David Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 2:04 PM

After following Bradley's directions, and also changing my firewall settings, Logos 4 was able to load a number of resources it was not able to load as part of my initial installation, including Biblical People, Places, and Things. There may be other issues involved here that would cause these resources not to appear, but apparently my business-class "firewall" was a factor.

My "uninformed" suggestion to anyone having a resource problem would be to make sure that all updates have completed, the Logos icon no longer shows up in the notification area, and Logos has been restarted a couple of times. If your installation is like mine, updating and indexing could take a couple of days. Wait a bit to see if Logos responds here before contacting support. 

The support team also assisted in verifying that I am not missing any Logos 3 resources; not one. Either the issue was a renamed resource, or one that only applied to Logos 3. It was a very thorough verification of over 1,300 resources.

Thank you to all, especially Bradley and Kat at Logos.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 2:10 PM

Thanks for relaying the success story David.  I like hearing those.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 4
| Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 2:24 PM

you're welcome. :)

Posts 9153
LogosEmployee

JamesRMenne:

Yesterday, I purchased the same upgrade you did and I'm having the same problems. My Biblical People, Places and Things are grayed out. Also, I'm missing a number of the new resources. So the issue does not appear to be unique to your set up.

Please try updating to SR-6 (enter "update now" in the command box to find the upgrade), then enter "update resources" in the command box once SR-6 is installed to force a full resource check.

Posts 6
Jim Menne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:37 PM

Bradley

I upgraded to SR-6 on my laptop, ran update now and update resources. no luck. Also, i installed Logos 4 on my desktop computer since SR-6 came out with the the same result, Biblical People Places and Things Grayed out and none of the new resources for the gold version.

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:13 PM

I also have the same issue with Biblical People , Places, Things being grayed out.

I'm also missing the lectionary in addition to this.I have Scholars Silver 4

I don't have anything more than the Windows firewall in place either! Could the names of the files that is downloading be blocked by a http filter that catches phrases like "xxx"?

When I run Update Resources and Update Now I no longer have anything to download... Is this the same issue?

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 8:14 PM

I've renamed the update.db file and run the update resources again. This time I have 3.1Gb to download. I'll let everyone know if this fixes the issue for me.

Update:

Down to 2.5Gb left and I had to stop the download because I had to leave the place where my internet was connected to. It prompted me to update and restart Logos 4. Upon a restart I had access to the Biblical People, Places and Things tools! One thing down Big Smile

It may be possible that something got corrupted in my initial download of 7.7Gb!

Posts 89
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 11:13 PM

3.1Gb later and it worked!

It fixed both the problem with my missing lectionary and greyed out Biblical People, Places and Things. I think the problem must have been a corruption of my initial download or something. It may have also helped that I did this download on a different internet connection.

The procedure was as follows:

1. Close Logos 4

2. Rename this file C:\Users\??\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\??\UpdateManager\Updates.db

3. Open Logos 4 and in the command area type Update Now and run this. Wait for the downloads to complete and install.

4. Open Logos 4 and in the command area type Update Resources and run it. Wait for the downloads to complete and install (it was 3.1Gb for me).

5. Open Logos 4 and it appeared in the top ribbon bar with no further input!

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS